ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

MultiCam Editing and Additional Audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Lockhart
MultiCam Editing and Additional Audio
on Nov 17, 2012 at 2:35:29 pm

Hi all,

I am in the process of doing a two camera SD multicam edit of a school program. I decided to record the audio separately and incorporate the audio into the edit. I would like to use both the camera audio and the separately recorded audio, but the multicam only sees the audio from the cameras. How do I use multicam and include the separate audio? For now, I came up with a workaround by rendering the main camera video along with the additional audio, then replacing the main camera video with this rendered file and then doing the multicam edit. This works fine for a 35 minute SD program, but might take time for longer programs, especially if footage is HD. Is there a better way?

Gary

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: MultiCam Editing and Additional Audio
on Nov 18, 2012 at 6:26:35 am

Multicam isn't designed to take more audio tracks than video, at least in any way that is automated. Here is what I suggest:

- Create your sequence with Cam A and Cam B
- Nest that sequence into another sequence and set the block to enable multicam
- Add the additional audio channel to the second track of audio, below the multicam
- Go to View > Multicam monitor
- In the Multicam monitor, in the upper right of the panel there is a properties icon; select "audio follows video".

This allows Premiere to switch to Cam A audio during an Cam A cut, and Cam B audio during a Cam B cut. You can then mix in the third track of audio independently of the two based on what you need it for.

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Gary Lockhart
on Nov 18, 2012 at 2:00:37 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Nov 18, 2012 at 8:57:33 pm

[Angelo Lorenzo] "You can then mix in the third track of audio independently of the two based on what you need it for."

Could you please elaborate on the specifics? You mean do the two-camera multi-cam edit with "audio follows video", then for each necessary audio edit, go back and manually edit both multi-cam audio and third audio track to switch in/out as needed?

Consider a two-camera lecture with frequent audience participation recorded on the third audio track. You're saying each time the audience speaks you'd keyframe the multi-cam audio, lower it, keyframe the third audio, raise it, then revert at end of comment, then repeat each time?

Is there some easier way?

If multi-cam only allowed selecting the third audio track, it could all be done in a single pass.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:57:11 am

Lets say we have a lecture with two hosts on lav mics and an audience mic on track three. The two cameras are on each host, and do not face the audience.

Lets say you do multicam with two video and three audio. You can't cut "on the fly" for the third audio track. You have to cut, select the block and then select audio track three in the multicam editor.

I find it faster just to do multicamera on the two matched audio/video tracks and then do overwrite edits for inserting track three. It avoids editing in extra audio with the cumbersome multicam interface.

You could, alternately, noise gate, auto duck, or keyframe the audio depending on quality. There are ways to automate the mix a little... but proper audio is still some work.

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]