ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How should I remove audio from source footage (or prevent playback in source monitor) - best practices.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Andrews
How should I remove audio from source footage (or prevent playback in source monitor) - best practices.
on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:16:21 am

I want to prevent hearing audio from footage when editing in PP CS6. In some cases the audio isn't required at all, ever. In some cases it should be preserved for syncing or just in case. I want to know how to efficiently take the unneeded audio out of my workflow early on when importing lots of footage so I don't hear it every time I'm setting in/out points in the source monitor for example.

I have already discovered I can right click on a source file in the bin/browser and then click 'modify' and change the audio channel, but that is cumbersome and changes the file when I just want to quickly change the way playback works. Once I'm on the time-line I'll unlink and delete unneeded audio, but if I could remove it before hand that would save time too!

This is my first question here (I think) and apologies if it's in the wrong place or has been answered already ( I did search for it ) and I thank you all for reading and helping out.

p.s. Just this once (in case I'm not notified of replied) if someone could ping my email to let me know of a response just until I'm sure I get email notifications of replies/answers to this post that would be great! Cheers! andreas [at} andreasandrews.com

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
Re: How should I remove audio from source footage (or prevent playback in source monitor) - best practices.
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:19:02 pm

In preferences there is an option for playing audio while scrubbing, untick this. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to it, very handy as it also affects your timeline.
Else do what you mentioned and modify audio channels to none. You can do this to several files at once, and you can also set it back to include audio at a later time.

Hope that helps

Dave
http://www.solimedia.ie

Macbook Pro 17" i7 2.2 8GB
iMac i7 2.8 16GB
FCP 7 FCPX Adobe CS 5.5

Return to posts index

Andreas Andrews
Re: How should I remove audio from source footage (or prevent playback in source monitor) - best practices.
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:51:07 pm

Thanks for you help Dave. I always have audio scrubbing turned off, but it is a great hint nonetheless.

What has really helped me is realising that you can in fact select all the clips in a bin and set the audio channel to none. Last time I hastily tried this it didn't seem to work for some reason for reasons unknown, but having read your response and trying it again it works!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Andreas Andrews
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:58:38 pm

p.s. heads up: the link to your site appears to be broken. If that is helpful info then consider it insta-karma for helping out ;)

Andreas Andrews Photography
http://www.andreasandrews.com

Return to posts index

Dave Brandt
on Oct 5, 2012 at 10:13:32 pm

Thanks for pointing that out.
Should be http://www.solidmedia.ie

Macbook Pro 17" i7 2.2 8GB
iMac i7 2.8 16GB
FCP 7 FCPX Adobe CS 5.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]