ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere CS6 not loading preview files

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilbert Thomas
Premiere CS6 not loading preview files
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:26:19 pm

Im having a serious problem. I spending the time to render effects on my timeline, once its done I playback the material then I save the project and close it out. Then when I re-open the project all the preview files are gone. I'm not making ANY changes to ANY directory. I can even open up the preview file folder and see the renders but its not showing up when I open the project.

Will Thomas
SpaceCherryFilms.com

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Premiere CS6 not loading preview files
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:27:27 pm

To help problem solve this, you must provide more basic info. Computer details & software details.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

(Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 6, 2012 at 1:02:42 pm

Definitely sounds like you might be moving the media around or something, maybe accidentally, but if the Preview files simply "disappear" then they have been moved somehow.

What version of Premiere Pro are you running, what's your main media storage and then finally, check your Project > Scratch Disk and ensure that your Preview Files (Video and Audio) are going where they are supposed to be going.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wilbert Thomas
on Sep 7, 2012 at 4:40:12 pm

Hey thanks guys for the advice, it was definitely an operator error I changed my drive letters on my PC. Everything is working fine now.

Thanks fellas!

Will Thomas
SpaceCherryFilms.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Sep 8, 2012 at 12:14:28 pm

[Wilbert Thomas] "it was definitely an operator error I changed my drive letters on my PC. Everything is working fine now.
"

That actually brings up a great point when working in a Mac / Windows hybrid shop. Our Windows machine sees the SAN as a series of letters. Our Mac machines sees the SAN as their standard SAN 1, SAN 2 partition names.

So when a project moves from one OS to the other, all the preview files are lost until we point the project at the first one. Even though the files are always on the exact same drive / partition, the two OS' see the SAN as different names. Can be annoying, but at least we know this is how it works.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Steve Onderick
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:07:16 am

I'm having the same issue intermittently. I'm working with a macbook pro. My source media is distributed between two external hard drives, which are connected by eSATA through an expresscard. The scratch disks are all set to "same as project." The project is saved on one of the hard drives, and the preview files are all still in their folder.

Has anyone found a solution for this? Is there a way to "reconnect" preview files? I'd be super grateful for any help anyone can provide. This is really throwing a wrench into my workflow.

Return to posts index

Michael Brassert
on Sep 10, 2012 at 7:15:19 pm

I just asked Adobe about this and they said you must rerender your preview files every time you open PP. I wonder why all of the preview files are saved in folders if you can never link to them. I suppose there is a logical explanation for this but I see it just as a PIA. The more quirks like this I find the more I miss FCP7 and all the simplicity I took for granted.

Return to posts index

David Traube
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:13:00 pm

I'm running into this issue intermittently as well. Sometimes the previews reload fine but usually only portions do... then I have to re-render which on a 15 minute piece featuring lots of Magic Bullet can be really time consuming.

I suspect the issue is related to my Editshare storage system. I created a share just for previews and render cache that shows up to the system as drive R: Now obviously if I were to change that drive letter (or not have the share mounted) I'd expect to lose the previews but I haven't done so in weeks.

Return to posts index

Chris Devers
on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:37:47 pm

[David Traube] "I'm running into this issue intermittently as well. Sometimes the previews reload fine but usually only portions do... then I have to re-render which on a 15 minute piece featuring lots of Magic Bullet can be really time consuming.

I suspect the issue is related to my Editshare storage system. I created a share just for previews and render cache that shows up to the system as drive R: Now obviously if I were to change that drive letter (or not have the share mounted) I'd expect to lose the previews but I haven't done so in weeks."

Have you been in touch with EditShare tech support about this? I work in the support group here (and have emailed you in the past), and I don't see anything about this problem in our records. If you think that the Premiere behavior you're seeing is EditShare-related, feel free to get in touch with us and we can help you.

--
Chris Devers
EditShare Tech Support
support ( at ) editshare • com
http://editshare.com
Twitter: @EditShare & @ESLightWorks

Return to posts index

David Traube
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:00:47 pm

Thanks Chris, I will contact you guys to see if you have a solution. I didn't really mean to suggest that the Editshare wasn't performing correctly though I can see how it might be read that way. I suspect it's got more to do with how Premiere/Windows interact with the shares specifically.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]