ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Live Updating Label Color & Clip Name

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sikes
Live Updating Label Color & Clip Name
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:05:18 pm

Hey guys. We have recently switched to Premiere Pro at my workplace. A coworker here is very accustomed to a couple of steps in his FCP 7 workflow that he misses in Premiere Pro.

Specifically, in FCP 7, after adding clips to the sequence, he could change the label color and the name of the clip in either the sequence or the browser, and it would update in the other. However, this does not seem to be the case in Premiere CS6.

How can he change the label color and/or name of a clip in either the project panel or the timeline, and have it update in the other?

Thanks for your help! Hooray for the Cow!

- David

Return to posts index

Alan Peil
Re: Live Updating Label Color & Clip Name
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:59:57 pm

Well, as you probably already know, you can change the label color by right-clicking on the clip in the project panel and selecting 'Label'.

However, clips already in the timeline will not update with the new color. You must either change the label color before placing the clip in the timeline, or 'Replace With Clip' after changing the label color.

You can also change the label color by right-clicking on the clip in the timeline, but this will not update in the project panel.

Same deal applies to changing clip names - something I find very annoying at times.

Return to posts index

Brian Sarfatty
on Oct 5, 2012 at 12:14:57 am

Poop. This is stupid.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:33:37 pm

Does this still hold true? I'm in CS6. I assume yes, but was wondering if a feature was added that I could change this so the timeline colors reflect the clip label colors. Thanks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 28, 2015 at 5:48:17 pm

Premiere Pro treats the each instance of a clip as a unique clip.

So when you change something in the Timeline, it does not automatically change the original clip in the Bin and vice versa. There are times when this is helpful, though for most folks they'd prefer it the FCP way.

Generally I try to remember to label all my clips before they come into the timeline, but generally when I drop a clip that needs labelling and it's not, that reminds me to go back to the bin and re-label.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:26:37 pm

Damn. That's still too bad. Mostly been working in Avid the last couple years. I find it most helpful, for example, in Avid, if I need to add colors after the fact, like red this means something is wrong with the still or clip and it should not appear in the timeline, or the correct graphic could be colored green and then i can visually see in the timeline if the correct graphic is being used and where. I see that Premiere has a function that shows where the clip is being used int he timeline - which is great, but just not enough of what I need in particular. Just my workflow thoughts.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 28, 2015 at 7:36:41 pm

[Rosie Walunas] "Damn. That's still too bad. Mostly been working in Avid the last couple years. I find it most helpful, for example, in Avid, if I need to add colors after the fact, like red this means something is wrong with the still or clip and it should not appear in the timeline, or the correct graphic could be colored green and then i can visually see in the timeline if the correct graphic is being used and where. "

Put in a feature request. I'm sure it's already in the pipeline to make that an option, but definitely put it in the feature request. Adobe has instituted hundreds of changes in just the past three years that I've been with the product line all as a direct result of user feedback. They really really listen.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

steve white
on Jan 28, 2016 at 2:24:15 pm

Hello

Good news. I've just found that it is now possible to have updating labels and clip names across bins and timelines.

http://www.retooled.net/?p=1524

Seems it's been there a while, but I'd not found it until now.

In project settings>general (not preferences as I'd found described elsewhere):

tick "Display the project items name and label color for all instances"

A great relief to me as I like to amend names and colours as circumstances dictate.

Return to posts index

Graham Withers
on May 3, 2016 at 3:41:32 pm

Hey Steve - great post and a useful program option too but in CC v9.2, I'm not seeing this option.

Do you know if it's disappeared?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 3, 2016 at 5:08:23 pm

It's still there, Graham. File->Project Settings->General and it's check box all the way at the bottom of the window.

Return to posts index

Naveed Abbas
on May 27, 2017 at 12:28:10 pm

Great response, I'd just add that Project settings are different than the Application Preferences.

File > Project Settings > General > (Checkbox: Display the project item name and label color for all instances).

Return to posts index

Ferenc Lengyel
on Dec 28, 2016 at 8:23:54 pm

Oh man!
You saved me a lot of time, and now the timeline looks awesome too.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Dec 28, 2016 at 11:30:23 pm

That tutorial was informative.

Return to posts index

Michael Litty
on Jul 14, 2017 at 4:11:54 pm

I was about to give up hope. Thank you! This did fix it.
Exactly as you described,
File > Project Settings > General
and at the bottom there's a little check box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]