ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

CS6 Keyboard SHortcuts

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Muldoon
CS6 Keyboard SHortcuts
on Aug 7, 2012 at 7:29:05 pm

After setting the keyboard the way I like it I would like to carry that file with me to other Premiere workstations and load it there. How would I do that?

Frank

Return to posts index

Gard Cookson
Re: CS6 Keyboard SHortcuts
on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:54:07 pm

Hi Frank,

Not quite as easy to do as one might think! You didn't specify if you were on Windows or Mac, so I've included instructions below for both.

Windows Instructions for location of keyboard settings files for Premiere Pro:

A) If you’re on Windows Vista/7, the path is: Computer/Local Disc (C:)/Users/(Your User Name)/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/PremierePro/4.0 (or whatever version you’re using).
B) If you’re on Windows XP, the path is: C:Documents and Settings(Your User Name)Application DataAdobePremiere Pro4.0 (or whatever version you’re using).

Once the file is in the proper folder, open up Adobe Premiere Pro, then go into the Edit Menu and choose Keyboard Customization/Keyboard Shortcuts. Next to the word Set: up top, you should be able to choose the layout you want; your Keyboard Layout should be added to the dropdown list if you placed the file in the proper location.

Note: if you could not locate the proper path to place the layout file, you may need to show hidden files and folders on your computer, to do that, follow the steps below:

► Windows Vista/Windows 7:

1) Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options. (If you don't see Appearance and Personalization, you may need to switch to ‘Category View’)

2) Click the View tab.

3) Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

► Windows XP:

1) Click the Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.
2) Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. (If you don’t see Appearance and Themes, you may need to switch to ‘Category View’)
3) On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Mac instructions for location of settings files for Premeiere Pro:

Place the your Keyboard Layout file into the appropriate Adobe folder, the full path is listed below:

► 10.6 or previous: Macintosh HD/Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Application Support/Premiere Pro/5.0 (or whatever version you’re currently using)

► 10.7: While on the desktop, click the Go menu on your top bar. While viewing the Go menu, hold down the Alt(Option) key on your keyboard, this should now show a new "Library" option. Click on Library, then go to Application Support, then Adobe, then Premiere Pro, then 5.0 (or whatever version you’re using).

Enjoy!

Bella Corporation
http://www.Bella-USA.com
http://www.KillerKeys.com: no more memorizing keyboard shortcuts

New! KillerKeys | Video Editing Keyboards | HD Mouse | Keyboard Shortcut Skins | Keyboard Stickers

Return to posts index

Steven L. Gotz
on Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49:18 pm

I believe that the custom key settings are saved in

"Adobe Premiere Pro Custom.kys" in the AppData/Roaming|Adobe/PremierePro/6.0 directory. Try moving that file to a different computer.

Steven

http://www.stevengotz.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Kesler
on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:44:32 am

OK guys,
This is waaaay too difficult. I can not find my custom keyboard map in Premiere CS6. I have tried both of the above suggestions. First option the file is not there. I suspect that in CS6 they moved it compared to CS5.x. In the second suggestion, there appears to be no "appdata" folder in OS 10.7.2 so no joy there. I did find that if you "show package contents" in the premiere cs6 app there is a keyboard shortcut folder in there and you can see the files for CS5, Factory defaults, Avid and Final Cut...but not the saved file that I created. I like the improvements in CS6 but considering Avid and FCP and other editing apps make it easy to move keyboard settings among systems, this is just frustrating. Anyone else figure this out?
Thanks, Jeff K.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kesler
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:04:18 pm

Did more searching and finally found the answer on the Adobe forums.
To quote:

Create a custom Keyboard setting in Pr.
Click on the "Go" command in the Finder command bar, hold down the "alt" key while the drop-down window is open, this will reveal a hidden "Library" option.

This is not the same Library as the one in which I have been searching for my .kys files! This is another Library, a different one, a mystery Library ... OK it's the user Library, I've been looking in the System Library the whole time.

There it is under:
Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Pro/6.0/my.kys

So there you go.
Jeff K.

Return to posts index

Gard Cookson
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:16:45 pm

Jeff - it appears that you are on a Mac, so the instructions are different..

► 10.6 or previous: Macintosh HD/Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Application Support/Premiere Pro/5.0 (or whatever version you’re currently using)

► 10.7: While on the desktop, click the Go menu on your top bar. While viewing the Go menu, hold down the Alt(Option) key on your keyboard, this should now show a new "Library" option. Click on Library, then go to Application Support, then Adobe, then Premiere Pro, then 5.0 (or whatever version you’re using).

Hope this helps!

Bella Corporation
http://www.Bella-USA.com
http://www.KillerKeys.com: no more memorizing keyboard shortcuts

New! KillerKeys | Video Editing Keyboards | HD Mouse | Keyboard Shortcut Skins | Keyboard Stickers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]