ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Why does Premiere Pro take so long to export????

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Henry
Why does Premiere Pro take so long to export????
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:48:47 pm

I have a macbook pro, 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo/4gb of ram running Adobe CS5 (mac OS X 10.6.8), and this is the computer I'm having this problem on.

All I wanted to do was take a clip that I already had exported a master version of, and export it in 2 parts. Basically I imported the clip, cut it, put it in 2 sequences, and tried to export the first one, which was about 40 minutes. I went to export media, entered the settings that match those of the clip (.mov, 1080p, apple intermediate codec, 16-bit sound). It estimated that it would take 8 hours to export (!), which I verified by waiting an hour and it said 7 hours (!). I had checked "use previews" also.

Finally, I said "forget you", and took it over to my other computer. The other computer is a mac G5 tower, 2 x 2.66 ghz dual core with 4 gb memory running FCP 6. I imported the clip, split it, and exported the same thing, this time it took 18 minutes! Same exact settings. Is FCP just ridiculously better than Premiere at exporting things? Could it be the difference in the processors???

Thank you for reading!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Why does Premiere Pro take so long to export????
on Jul 30, 2012 at 10:11:04 pm

There's several issues you're running into:
(1) Processing power of a laptop
(2) GPU is likely ATI, Adobe's Mercury Playback/Encoding Engine is built to fly with Nvidia CUDA technology.
(3) Were you exporting the file to your laptop's internal drive? If so, that tends to take much longer as it's being used to run your whole OS and then do double duty as the drive where the new .mov is built. If not and you were using an external hard drive how was it connected - USB, Firewire?
(4) The codec - did you try any other codecs? Apple ProRes? AIC tends to be a pretty non-optimized codec (compared to ProRes or DNxHD). I would dare it's just about a legacy codec (something from the "good old days). That doesn't mean people don't use it. But there are better (compression algorithms and overall file space) options out there IMHO.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:36:11 am

If it's Quicktime, then FCP will essentially rewrite the file (copy) and render what's different (title, effects, dissolve, etc.). Premiere Pro will render out the entire file. Some people would call this feature "smart rendering" and Premiere Pro has it for some codecs but not QT.

In addition, all of what Ryan said is true and I would add that 4GB of RAM for editing is not enough for most editing tasks these days.

Your post also did not say which version of Premiere Pro you are using, but a G5 would indicate something CS3 or older. I would encourage you to try a 64-bit application.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:37:05 pm

Thanks for answering also! I'm using premiere cs5 on a laptop, and FCP on the G5. More ram isn't going to make Premiere write out movie files faster is it? I haven't had any problems with editing anything on it, just exporting so far.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:26:12 pm

RAM does in fact affect performance. In some cases dramatically. It is somewhat codec dependent. I know that MPEG2 sees a linear performance increase with more memory. You can see some of this on PPBM5.com which is a primarily PC centric site for creating Premiere Pro performance benchmarks.

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Jul 31, 2012 at 1:30:50 pm

Thanks for answering. The laptop has a Nvidia Geforce 320m. I was exporting through usb to a external drive. I will see if the other codecs go faster, but as it is I think I will stick to doing those things on the fcp system!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:04:12 pm

For a better comparison load FCP onto your laptop and export out the same file. That would show you the difference more accurately. Right now you're comparing Apples to Bubble Gum. Because you're running a G5 (PowerPC chip) I don't think CS5 will install on that platform. So if you put FCP on your laptop it will allow you a side by side comparison.

FWIW-USB is a slow protocol to handle video (and what's the speed of the drive that is hooked up via USB) as it operates in bursts of data, not a steady stream like Firewire.

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

ceren bettemir
on Mar 17, 2013 at 7:45:13 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with Premiere Pro CS5.
My video is about 3.5 min but rendering takes more than 4 hours. Also I cant watch my videos while I'm working, it s so slow. So I can't see my editing process which is a big problem also.
I used split camera / multiple videos in the same frame. ( there are 2 footages in the same frame)
All the footages are HD quality but I scaled them % 40, and made color correction.
Is not premiere suitable for exporting or playing multiple videos in same frame?

It's my first time using premiere for school project.
Could you please tell me why this is happening and what can I do?

my export settings: quicktime movie / 720X526 / lower quality / DV 25PAL
I have imac - mac os 10.5.8 Intel core 2 duo 4GB

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 18, 2013 at 4:05:09 pm

Ceren - this an old thread (almost 1 year old). People don't check old threads much.

Your problem is similar to the original poster. Your hardware is old and underpowered for editing and exporting tasks.

As for choppy playback....it's also important to note what kind of hard drive your media is stored on (USB, firewire, internal drive, etc.). If your media is stored on the same hard drive that your operating system is (your boot drive), then that's a big problem. You need dedicated drives to handle video playback.

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Mar 18, 2013 at 5:41:00 pm

My problem was that I didn't know I had to render everything first and check the "use previews" box when exporting. Premiere apparently can't render and export at the same time as fast as it can render and then export. You probably need to set your project to render overnight. It's ridiculous to say that your computer isn't fast enough to edit SD video. Try editing in iMovie and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:11:08 pm

[Thomas Henry] "My problem was that I didn't know I had to render everything first and check the "use previews" box when exporting."

You aren't required to render before you export. If you render before you export and use previews then Premiere will use those render files in the final export. It's completely plausible to export without rendering and let Premiere build the file from scratch.

[Thomas Henry] "It's ridiculous to say that your computer isn't fast enough to edit SD video."

And it's not at all ridiculous to say that his computer is slow. It's likely a 2006 or 2007 model iMac with less than ideal RAM and probably an ATI video card. So he's working on a computer that's 5-6 years old, with insufficient RAM, a video card that doesn't take advantage of the CUDA technology (which was in it's infancy in CS5 which he's running), and the wildcard is what type of hard drive setup he's using to edit video from. Plus he's doing FX work on the timeline - color correction, scaling, etc. This takes processing power. Granted DV video is not terribly demanding, but his gear can easily be creating a bottleneck in the process.

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:38:04 pm

What I'm saying is that it's multiple times faster to export if you render first, rather than letting it do both at once. I've tested this many times. I know you CAN export without rendering, in the same way you CAN put Premiere CS5 on a 2006 iMac, it just won't work well.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:41:13 pm

[Thomas Henry] "I know you CAN export without rendering, in the same way you CAN put Premiere CS5 on a 2006 iMac, it just won't work well."

We are in heated agreement then! ;-)

Ryan Holmes
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Rocco Guarino
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:27:52 am

Use Previews (Smart Render) ONLY works with DVCPROHD, and some flavors of XDCAM.

It won't use the preview files from a ProRes or H.264 sequence.

Submit a feature request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:23:48 pm

It works with AVCHD sequences too, I work with .MTS files and that's the only way I can get long projects exported in less than a day.

Return to posts index

Sean Ian MacGowan
on Jun 26, 2013 at 1:15:45 am

I have the solution. I hope it makes you as happy as it does me.

1. Get Premiere Pro CC
2. Select the sequence preset for DNX220X
2a. Make sure the preview file format is set to DNX220X, but you shouldn't have to do that manually as the preset is already configured
2b. Go to the radio button for "use maximum render quality" for preview files and turn that on
3. Edit using this sequence...using any format of source material
4. Render as you go, overnight, etc. during the course of the project - this creates "preview files" in the DNX220X MXF format...which WILL facilitate your final output, whereas creating "preview files" in some other formats WILL NOT facilitate the final output
5. Your "preview files" will be created in mastering quality and will serve in the same capacity as your full-quality "render files" used to within FCP7, helping you for a faster export when the time comes, and without any quality loss, because when you export the master output, it will not re-transcode the render files...instead, it will do like FCP7 used to...if your sequence was already rendered, it would just essentially "copy" the data, rather than recalculating everything
5a. Assuming you're locked and everything has been rendered and you're ready to output with nothing but a green bar atop the timeline....
6. Choose export media
7. select "match sequence settings"
8. select "use maximum render quality"
9. select "use previews"
10. jump around because you're so happy...as you watch the progress bar move about 80% faster than the last time you exported a sequence

The output will occur in approximately 20% of the duration of your sequence's total time. This output will be of the DNXHD220X codec and MXF file type. It looks excellent and solves a huge problem.

Now, all of you FCP7 folks can carry on as though you were using FCP7...in that you can render overnight as you go, and have those render files help save you time when exporting the master.

Thank you Adobe for a fantastic Premiere Pro upgrade in Premiere Pro CC. You knocked it out of the park with this one.

Return to posts index

Thomas Henry
on Jun 26, 2013 at 4:14:17 pm

I appreciate you taking the time to address my question. Thanks! I'm not saying you sound like a shill for adobe, but that seems like a lot to buy and do just to emulate FCP7, right? Why bother if you have to leave it rendering overnight anyway? Also, wouldn't you have to convert MXF format to Quicktime to be able to convert it to other formats? How long does that take or is that even possible?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Jun 26, 2013 at 8:27:31 pm

[Thomas Henry] "Also, wouldn't you have to convert MXF format to Quicktime to be able to convert it to other formats?"

Premiere can handle MXF files natively with no need to transcode. Remember MXF is just a wrapper, like Quicktime. MXF can hold a variety of codecs, just like Quicktime.

The benefit of rendering as you work is that the latest version of Premiere will grab those renders and pack them into your final export, provided you check the "use previews" box, which will greatly reduce the time it takes to spit out a final file. This is essentially what FCP7 did with ProRes, it's just that Adobe added several codecs to the list that could do this now in Premiere CC (ProRes being the newest, I think DNxHD started to have this capability in CS6). If you're an ex-FCPer who has migrated to Premiere it means that you can work very similarly to before.

Ryan Holmes
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]