ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CS6 Dynamic Link (GTX 480)

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
John Connor
Premiere Pro CS6 Dynamic Link (GTX 480)
on Jul 14, 2012 at 5:31:20 pm

Hello. I have very limited knowledge about codecs, formats etc.

I'm about to trade my HD 6950 2GB for a GTX 480.

This is a bad trade from gamers perspective.

I do fair amount of editing with WMV files, AVI files.

These files are usually converted into WMV or AVI from different format, such as MKV(h.264), or from fraps (AVI).

I was wondering if the gtx 480 would benefit me. I always use Premiere Pro and After Effects to edit (using dynamic link). I do all the previews and cuts in Premiere Pro, while effects on After Effects.

I use effects from CC, lots of twitch. 3D camera movements.

Multiple layers of colour correction (mojo, curves, exposure, tritone).

Will I see a big difference using the GTX 480 (CUDA)?

Return to posts index

Michael Murphy
Re: Premiere Pro CS6 Dynamic Link (GTX 480)
on Jul 14, 2012 at 9:03:59 pm

The GTX 480 is a great card that will help immensely with CS6.

I am not familiar with the card that you are replacing - does it support Open CL, do you have ity enabled, etc?

There is a lot of infotmation on cards here:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

You can also look at the configuartion of the higher performing machines in this database (for CS5.5) The GTX 480 is a very popular card:

http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

Good luck!

Michael

Best,
Michael

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2012 at 4:43:45 pm

[John Connor] "I do fair amount of editing with WMV files, AVI files. These files are usually converted into WMV or AVI from different format, such as MKV(h.264), or from fraps (AVI)."

The GPU does not accelerate decoding media.

[John Connor] "I was wondering if the gtx 480 would benefit me. I always use Premiere Pro and After Effects to edit (using dynamic link). I do all the previews and cuts in Premiere Pro, while effects on After Effects. I use effects from CC, lots of twitch. 3D camera movements. Multiple layers of colour correction (mojo, curves, exposure, tritone). Will I see a big difference using the GTX 480 (CUDA)?"

AE's GPU acceleration is limited to the new 3D ray-tracing renderer. Classic 3D rendering and effects such as you have listed will render on the CPU, not the GPU (Mojo may be an exception here, but if it is GPU acclerated, it's not likely dependent on CUDA).

Premiere's effects pipeline IS GPU-accelerated, so if you could do your color correction with Premiere's effects, you should see a noticeable difference with a CUDA card.

Check out Todd Kopriva's blog post CUDA, OpenCL, Mercury Playback Engine, and Adobe Premiere Pro [link] for a full description of what features are hardware-accelerated by the GPU.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John Connor
on Jul 21, 2012 at 4:03:54 am

Will the gpu will increase the pre render speed of the footage?

There are few videos on youtube show how an nvidia gpu can increase the playback(pre view), but no one of them show pre render speed is affected.

the effects that i use on my footage makes the normal preview (just pressing "space") impossible.

Also does the colour correction has to be done strictly on premiere pro? or does it get accelerated even if done in after effects (dynamic link).

As time passes will there be more effects supported by cuda?

and The HD 6950 does support opencl.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]