ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New Mac Pros next week!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
New Mac Pros next week!
on Jun 7, 2012 at 2:31:16 am

Apple Insider, MacRumors, and 9to5Mac are all calling for the update to the Mac Pro next week at Worldwide Developers Conference. Model numbers and prices (AU) have leaked. One is to have server functionality. Check out:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/after-nearly-two-years-without-an-update-appl...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: New Mac Pros next week!
on Jun 7, 2012 at 1:31:04 pm

+1 to this. I hope it's true.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 7, 2012 at 5:58:12 pm

I've seen the part numbers posted (see davinci forum)

this is great news!

Return to posts index

Jan Maitland
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:05:32 pm

It's a funny thing but I find this news bittersweet. I've spent so many of the past few months wrapping my head around a switch away from Mac Pros to PCs (b/c of the unknown future of the Mac Pro platform) that, now, I find myself less than thrilled by these rumors. I'd finally gotten comfortable with the idea and then this happens! LoL.

Moving my facility away from Apple computers was an easier pill to swallow when it was Apple making the decision for me. Now, not so much...

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:00:40 pm

Jan, I agree completely!

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:04:32 pm

I never thought they would drop it. The Xeon's just came out in April. Glad my software and hardware has a future!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 7, 2012 at 10:06:47 pm

Im happy for you Jim.

But still making my move to PC land.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:44:02 pm

Jan,

Agree with you 100%. I was on the verge of purchasing a custom built PC running 64 bit Windows 7 to run Resolve, Premiere Pro, etc after having been on Macs since '89.

Threw in the towel with Apple last year with FCPX and their poor attitude towards the pro market.

I decided to wait until after WWDC before making the PC purchase just in case Apple pulls a rabbit out of their hat with Jobs gone.

This rumor announcement is a mixed blessing. It will have Thunderbolt and the new E5 Intel CPU by the sounds of it. It will outpace the other i7 PC boxes on the market unless they have dual CPUs in them. The specs are quite amazing. And maybe Apple will do a mea culpa to the pro market but maybe not.

Still not sure which way I am going to go but this coming week will be the true decision point.

-Andrew

Return to posts index

Robert Brown
on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:17:01 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Apple Insider, MacRumors, and 9to5Mac are all calling for the update to the Mac Pro next week at Worldwide Developers Conference. Model numbers and prices (AU) have leaked. One is to have server functionality. Check out: "

I'm guessing they will have 13 cores. I mean they already did 12.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Return to posts index

Steve Kallevik
on Jun 11, 2012 at 5:10:08 am

Sorry guys, but the Mac Pro will NEVER 'outpace' the PC counterparts because Apple severely limits the number of PCIe slots and lanes. My HP Z800 has 6 PCIe slots with 3 x16 lanes. Mac Pro has only 4 slots with only 2 x16 and a x4 and x1(maybe x4, can't recall). In addition, Apple limits the number of Ram slots so the new Mac Pro will be slower than its PC versions because the new E5 Xeons are Quad-channel which means you need 8 sticks of ram per CPU to run at full speed. I also have 8 SAS connections in my Z800 in addition to the 6 Sata.

Btw, Thunderbolt aka LightPeak is already out on PCs so that advantage is already gone; although, PCs have more PCIe slots so TB is not needed in the desktops anyways.

Last I checked, HP gives 25% off their Z800/Z820 line without asking.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jun 11, 2012 at 6:59:09 pm

Thunderbolt on PCs are still 6 months behind a workable implementation, be it at controller/driver level. That's fine, let the market and offerings mature before jumping into such an expensive connection.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:01:17 pm

WWDC has passed, no word as to an updated Mac Pro in their keynote. They might be "quietly" updated but I'm not holding my breathe - happy on my PC workstation.

As an aside, I just noticed the Retina Display logo looks like the old Photoshop v5-6 splash screen eyeball. *shrug*

Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:53:24 pm

Spoke too soon, looks like they pushed an update to their site. A few spec bumps with the processor but no Thunderbolt, no USB3, no increase in PCIe ports, no case redesign for more drive bays...

Boldly advertising it's 1.3x faster than the 2010's with the Xeon E5645 which is two years old. Granted, using the E5 or E7 series means a more expensive tower and they probably wanted to keep price point.

http://gizmodo.com/5917271/the-mac-pro-lives-apple-has-resurrected-one-of-i...

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 11, 2012 at 10:40:03 pm

" Hit the road Mac, and dont ya come back, no more, no more ,no more, no more. Hit the road Mac, and dont ya come back no more. "

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:27:53 am

Tom, you are without a doubt the best advertisement for Mac users to completely avoid Premiere Pro.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:01:14 am

And you sir are completely ridiculous and quite non sequitur :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:05:00 am

Perhaps I should be more clear. What I am saying is that I can practically hear the people at Adobe wincing when you make a comment like that. Your screed like rants against the Mac are patently offensive. You win Adobe no friends amongst those of us who want PP to work well on the Mac (and Windows for those who choose). Denigrating the favorite platform of tens of thousands of professionals Adobe is trying to win over to their side is pretty lousy PR for them, since you have become their self appointed champion. What I said is no non sequitur.Also, your bastardization of a great Ray Charles song is truly childish. That is the only ridiculous (worthy of ridicule) statement I see on this page. It is you who appears to be ridiculous. I'll end with your favorite smiley to make it all better... :-D

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:54:53 pm

Jim,I am tired of your angry paranoid tirades. You seem to be a very unhappy person looking to lash out and take out your frustration with the state of the Mac on those that surround you. This emotion even seems evident in your scowling avatar.Here is some advice, take some anger management courses or get some therapy. As you read some other folks responses to your rants, its obvious no one really interested in being subjected to this constant venting. You are an embarrassment to the reasonable, emotionally stable Mac owners of the world. Here's a new emoticon for your :P

PS I will not waste my time responding to anymore personal attacks
or delusional insults.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:49:52 pm

Look who's talking, Tom. I'm not going to waste any more time on you. My posts have always been positive except when you have said something either childish or insulting. Have a nice life.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Michael Kalin
on Jun 12, 2012 at 2:12:26 am

DOA

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 12, 2012 at 4:40:24 am

DOA (dumb old Apple) for dead ending a fine computer.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved