ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

I have to say CS6 is very sluggish with Mac Decklink.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
I have to say CS6 is very sluggish with Mac Decklink.
on May 21, 2012 at 6:39:42 am

I'm noticing that scrubbing on Blackmagic timelines is VERY sluggish, sometimes completely jamming. Response seems worse than 5.5. I don't have benchmarks to show, but anecdotally it just feels worse. I have an 8-core Mac pro with 32gb memory, 8TB RAID and Quadro 4800 so it's not my system.

I'm hoping an OSX patch is coming soon. M2V files also import in the wrong pixel ratio. This doesn't happen on my CS6 PC.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
Re: I have to say CS6 is very sluggish with Mac Decklink.
on May 21, 2012 at 8:53:27 am

I know that it neither helpful nor proper entiquette to simply complain about a product, but after years of struggling with a Decklink HD-extreme cards on various systems, I would be very cautious about recommending BMD-products until I see the proof that they reliably work.

Really, for VERY simple tasks, the Decklink card would do its job, e.g. capturing from DigiBeta, etc. but as soon as it had to play ball with Premiere ( I have used various versions of the Decklink cards since Premiere CS3) it was touch-and-go, tons of illogical glitches that never really went away. Such simple stuff like the presets for 25p / 1080 just never worked. Why on earth are the presets there then?

Maybe some of the other BMD-products fare better, but I am very skeptical. If I didn't still have to deal with DigiBeta I would have long got rid of the Decklink card.

The problem with pixel-ratios you mention is pretty common with Quicktime/OSX, so that one cannot be blamed on BMD at least...
Anyway I wish you better luck and thanks at least for a chance to blow off some steam! best, ninetto

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 21, 2012 at 1:30:34 pm

DO NOT USE BM TIMELINES WITH CS6! :D

If you have the latest drivers for your BM device, Adobe Transmit (new to CS6) lets you use regular Adobe sequences from now on.You get great performance and CUDA if you have a graphics card that supports it.

Transmit is hidden and a part of the software in CS6. Its a real break through in timeline playback performance.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on May 21, 2012 at 3:44:48 pm

Even with matched codec timelines there's at least a 2 frames delay on the Blackmagic Output.
Tested on several systems.

Premiere CS6
9.5.1 BMD drivers.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 21, 2012 at 3:48:57 pm

Not a fan of BMD. AJA Kona 3 is my choice.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 21, 2012 at 4:12:06 pm

I've had my share of black magic frustration, but my multibridge-extreme
has worked perfectly with CS 6 since day one.

way better than cs 5.5 ever did.

I have been using the black-magic timelines even though I don't need to.

Peter, its possible you have a corrupt installation of CS 6.

I've read about other users having issues, then re-installing
and the issues are gone. something to consider.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 21, 2012 at 5:36:17 pm

Chris, why why would you use the BM timeline when its unnecessary and prevents you from taking advantage of CUDA (if you have a graphics card that supports it)? I dont understand the logic.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 21, 2012 at 6:41:13 pm

[Tom Daigon] " why would you use the BM timeline when its unnecessary and prevents you from taking advantage of CUDA"

Hi Tom,

CUDA works just fine in the BMD timeline.

I read somewhere that there are some advantages to using the card vendor timeline.
wish I remembered where I read it. I'd post it for you.

I just started a new client project today.
sony NXCAM avchd.

I've started editing that in an AVCHD instead of BMD and it works just as well.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 21, 2012 at 7:59:54 pm

Chris "CUDA works just fine in the BMD timeline.

I read somewhere that there are some advantages to using the card vendor timeline.
wish I remembered where I read it. I'd post it for you.

I just started a new client project today.
sony NXCAM avchd.

I've started editing that in an AVCHD instead of BMD and it works just as well."

Chris Im a little confused. From my experience testing and using PrP CS6 there are only 1 kind of sequence that works with Adobe Transmit and third party capture cards and that is the regular Adobe sequence.Granted I use AJA which doesn't have any AJA specific sequence anymore.

I guess in your case there are 2 since for some reason BM still provides a BM sequence in addition to the new Adobe standard sequence.

There are no other variants. Sure you can specify what codecs / formats / frame rates you want in the sequence. But I dont believe that has anything to do with the new Adobe sequence structure and how it works in conjunction with Adobe Transmit. :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 21, 2012 at 9:04:22 pm

[Tom Daigon] "From my experience testing and using PrP CS6 there are only 1 kind of sequence that works with Adobe Transmit and third party capture cards and that is the regular Adobe sequence.Granted I use AJA which doesn't have any AJA specific sequence anymore."

must be a BMD thing.

have not been able to install CS 6 in my AJA based suite yet since my LHe
has been end of lifed and not supported :(

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on May 22, 2012 at 9:07:45 am

[Tom Daigon] " why would you use the BM timeline when its unnecessary and prevents you from taking advantage of CUDA"

Funny, the one complaint I do NOT have about Decklink is that the quality of the display from the card WHEN it worked was always superior to anything I could get from the system's native card and Adobe. I am using a CUDA-capable card, but Decklink-output always looked better on my EIZO 2441 monitor, at least via HDMI.

That said, I too have the pesky audio lag/dropout problem which never went away despite claims to the contrary. This is on a brand new X79-system with 16 gb of RAM, 9.5 drivers

Go figure.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on May 22, 2012 at 2:51:56 am

[Tom Daigon] "
If you have the latest drivers for your BM device, Adobe Transmit (new to CS6) lets you use regular Adobe sequences from now on.You get great performance and CUDA if you have a graphics card that supports it."

Thanks Tom,

That really seems to fix the playback issues. I guess Adobe is just using the Decklink as a monitoring I/O device without using the card for processing. Seems to work. Many thanks.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 22, 2012 at 3:40:21 am

Peter, glad to help.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Justin Ferar
on May 21, 2012 at 5:58:55 pm

I just finished my first paid project with P6.

Black Magic Intensity is a dog as well with CS6

1. Audio is flakey - especially scrubbing. Sometimes you have to play a few seconds and let it grab the audio before trying to find the in point of an audio cue point.

2. 5 frames latency which is just maddening!

3. Sometime you press play and the first few frames are not in sync, then it reorganizes itself skipping a few frames and syncs up with audio but 10 percent of the time it actually doesn't sync up.

It has to be said that this is the first driver for P6. I remember the same issues with FCP when Intensity first arrived. It shortly became EXTREMELY rock solid.

I have other issues with P6 which will force me to go back to FCP 7 but this first experiment with Adobe Transmit and Black Magic certainly didn't help!

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 21, 2012 at 6:42:34 pm

I have the audio lag but not very often.

also some sort of popping/distortion, sometimes I have to close CS 6 and
re-open to get it to go away.

It's been mostly solid for me though. using 9.5.1 bmd driver on multibridge-extreme

HUGE improvement from CS 5.5
I could hardly ever get it to play a full rendered sequence all the way through
without random stopping. Never happens in CS 6.

I've done 6 client supervised sessions as of today.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]