ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How well will PPCS6 run on a 2008 MacPro / NVIDIA GeForce 8800

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
How well will PPCS6 run on a 2008 MacPro / NVIDIA GeForce 8800
on May 17, 2012 at 6:41:10 pm

I'm really excited to start cutting on PPCS6 but I'm afraid I might have playback issues if I don't upgrade my video card. Does anyone else have this setup and if so, how does Premiere run?

Mac Pro Early 2008
Processor 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: How well will PPCS6 run on a 2008 MacPro / NVIDIA GeForce 8800
on May 17, 2012 at 7:02:19 pm

Hi Dustin,

We have one this setup. Most projects will work just fine. You didn't mention a RAID enclosure, but that can be as important as the system depending on what you are cutting.

I would recommend the card upgrade for bigger or effects heavy projects.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on May 17, 2012 at 7:29:15 pm

I work on an internal 2TB hard drive that I transfer footage to or an external hard drive connected via ESATA for short projects.

I'd say 90% of the stuff I cut is DVCPRO HD but recently we've been getting more 5D H.264s. I always color correct and typically use transitions and simple animations for text/images on every project.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 17, 2012 at 7:45:22 pm

I have this same machine...but I have a GOOD graphics card in it. The graphics card is VERY important. Running a card that activates the Mercury Engine is a MUST. I edited my NAB video starting on a machine at work. Exact same computer as I have at home, but with an ATI card. Editing was...sluggish and not all that smooth. I finished up on my home machine with the NVidia 285, and boy, was there a difference.

Same amount of RAM in both machines.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on May 17, 2012 at 8:20:53 pm

Yeah, everything I've read pretty much says a new graphics card is very important. Right now we can definitely afford the CS6 upgrade but I can't get my company to spring for some new $750 nVIDIA Quadro 4000s. If playback is anything but rock solid on my machine I can't switch from FCP7, and it sounds like I'd probably run into the sluggish issues you had Shane.

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 17, 2012 at 8:37:09 pm

I've been cutting DVCProHD with my early 2008 MacBook Pro on PPro CS6 for the past week with little or no difficulty.

As long as you're not doing anything super graphics-intensive you should be fine.

But, like Shane said, having a graphics card that can unlock the Mercury Playback Engine GPU acceleration is definitely going to be a boon.

With CS5 I remember that there was a way to unlock additional (not yet Adobe certified) cards, but I wouldn't recommend it for CS6 - if it's even possible.

Kyle Fordrung | Videographer & Editor | OctopodLabs.com

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on May 17, 2012 at 11:32:18 pm

[Kyle Fordrung] "With CS5 I remember that there was a way to unlock additional (not yet Adobe certified) cards, but I wouldn't recommend it for CS6 - if it's even possible."

It's possible.

someone got a newish imac with an unsupported ATI card to work with OpenCL gpu acceleration.

The txt file to modify is buried in the cs 6 app.

google it if you'd like to try.

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 21, 2012 at 2:03:25 pm

Glad to see that it's still possible to mod that file.

I had to unlock my GeForce GTX570 in PPro CS5, since they didn't support it for GPU acceleration until CS5.5

In any case, to anyone thinking that they might want to do that, be 100% sure your GPU can handle it before you try.

Kyle Fordrung | Videographer & Editor | OctopodLabs.com

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Michael Kalin
on May 22, 2012 at 8:50:47 pm

I understand that a minimum of 1GB of RAM is required for GPU acceleration with Mercury.

I have a very low end GT 430 card that I bought on sale for $20 running on a PC desktop. It has 98 CUDA cores.

I enabled that card via the software hack. The processing time is 2 orders of magnitude better on some things even with that low end card.

I was just looking at the desktop GTX 560 cards, which should be quite adequate for graphics acceleration. The TI card is about $115, the SE is $135, and the full GTX 560 is about $155 after a $20 rebate.

That card is installed on some of the fastest benchmarked machines in the PPBM5 database;

ppbm5.com/

Best,
Michael

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Rodriguez-Zuniga
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:48:47 am

I've been reading many threads for hours now, and I understand that there is a possibility of running a PC based video card on a mac pro. I just need to know if my specific configuration is adequate.

mac pro 3, 1 with snow leopard for use with PP CS5.5 and AE mainly. I bought the EVGA nVidia gtx560 2gb card, but am not sure about the process involved in getting it to cooperate with mac OSX.

I've heard that it's possible it might not allow the hdmi port to work, but thats fine as long as I still have the 2 DVI's, and I'm aware of the lack of a boot screen. Can anyone tell me of a simple breakdown step by step of this process?

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]