ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Slow P2 ingest in Prelude CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Fordrung
Slow P2 ingest in Prelude CS6
on May 16, 2012 at 2:37:55 pm

Hi guys - long-time lurker, relatively new to posting here.

So, I just recently upgraded to an HD workflow with my purchase of a used HVX200.

So, when I first read through the features and specs for Adobe Prelude, I was stoked that it was built specifically for file-based media ingest. I was ecstatic at the thought that it might be a good substitute for P2CMS, since that's no longer supported on anything past Windows XP.

To my chagrine, I go to ingest my P2 footage from my HVX to my MacBook Pro (via FireWire) and it takes FOREVER.

Is there something I am overlooking when it comes to ingesting DVCProHD?

Why does P2CMS ingest so much faster than Prelude?

Prelude: Upwards of 3-4 minutes per GB
P2CMS: +/- 1 min 30 sec per GB

Did I miss something? Has anyone had any luck with Prelude in their P2 workflow?

Treading the razor's edge between profundity and nonsense.

Return to posts index

Dwight Farmer
Re: Slow P2 ingest in Prelude CS6
on May 16, 2012 at 4:07:58 pm

Hey Kyle,

I'm having similar issues.... Prelude will NOT ingest from a P2 camera (HPX170 via usb) for me on a Windows 7 machine.

I've been sitting here for 20 minutes... nothing. The little windows blue circle just keeps spinning....

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 16, 2012 at 4:13:26 pm

Hi Dwight,

It's disappointing really. I was super excited about an integrated P2 ingest solution to use with Premiere Pro.

I've got similar questions posted over on the Adobe forums and DVXUser. Hopefully someone, somewhere, can shed a little light on the issue.

Kyle Fordrung | Videographer & Editor | OctopodLabs.com

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Dwight Farmer
on May 16, 2012 at 6:00:20 pm

I finally got it to work.

Here's what I've found so far... Prelude will NOT ingest files spanned accross two P2 cards. It is ingesting all of the files for me... except that last file from card one.

Another issue I am having is that I have thick yellow vertical lines accross all my footage when viewing in the Prelude Monitor. They are not there when viewing elsewhere.

Hope you get your issue figured out Kyle! New software bugs are annoying. Sometimes they get them figured out....

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 16, 2012 at 6:46:15 pm

Uh oh. Not being able to ingest a clip spanned across two P2 cards is a pretty big issue. Thanks for narrowing that one down!

I'm still not sure what the issue is with the slow ingest, though, since I was only trying to ingest 4 GB from a 16GB card.

If I get a chance today, I will see if I can get ahold of anyone at Adobe over the phone and I'll report back with any info.

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 16, 2012 at 10:04:14 pm

USB actually works faster then FW for this.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on May 17, 2012 at 1:12:39 am

It's possible there's a P2 Driver issue here.

I have been shooting P2 three and a half years, and except for at the beginning, I've avoided downloading cards using the camera because it was horribly slow.

Anyway, the point is that after using finder for 3 years, I now have Shotput Pro for unrelated reasons and when I tried using it to download from P2 cards it was horribly slow... about half the speed, which is about the same as Kyle reports.

So it could be a driver issue with curtain programs accessing P2 Media.

I gave up on Shotput and went back to using finder. (I carefully verify all my footage before wiping the cards. I've only once had the process go pear shaped on me... knock on wood.)

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 17, 2012 at 4:59:55 am

I did some speed tests today to determine which was the quickest ingest method, and while Prelude seems to have performed much better this time around, it still was not as fast as P2 Viewer.

I tested each method with the same clip.

Clip Length: 01:05;15
Settings: 1080i/23.97p
Codec: DVCProHD
File Size: 968.6 MB

Test 1 - Firewire (HVX200 to Mac Snow Leopard

Copy & Paste: 00:01:45
P2CMS ingest: 00:01:50
Adobe Prelude: 00:01:36

Test 2 - USB (HVX200 to Windows Vista 64bit)

Copy & Paste: 00:01:20
P2 Viewer: 00:00:35
Adobe Prelude: 00:00:38

All in all, it seems that P2 Viewer via USB is still the faster direct-from-camera ingest method.

As far as my earlier complaints about Prelude's ingest speed, I have noticed after my testing that the progress bar seems to hang for a while between 1% - 4% and then goes from 5 to 100 almost instantly. Perhaps this caused the process to only seem as though it took longer than it did.

If anyone can test these out using the Duel Adapter, a laptop PCMCIA slot, or the Panasonic USB P2 reader, that would be awesome!

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on May 17, 2012 at 12:33:03 pm

This may be a silly question but WHY prelude? I have just upgraded to CS6 and find it on my laptop!
There is no specific prelude forum, bust as it was mentioned here...

As an editor, on my laptop I have Avid MC6, FCP7 and X, CS6, together with stream clip, compressor and squeeze etc.

Why and when would I use prelude over the other imports to the above editing applications, especially directly into Premier pro.

Would it have any use to my workflows?

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 17, 2012 at 12:40:04 pm

Steve,

That's what I have been trying to figure out. Prelude doesn't seem to be anything more than an Adobe version of P2 Viewer. One feature it does have is the ability to create rough cuts right from your P2 cards, and then port all of that to Premiere, which is neat - I guess- but I don't think it was necessary to create a whole new application.

I suspect that they needed a product to replace OnLocation, but to be honest, I miss being able to use my laptop as a waveform monitor, or to record to my HDD when I don't necessarily mind the compression.

Long story short, I think Prelude seems to be much ado about nothing.

If I get the chance, I will try to do a comprehensive review and see what -if any- are the real benefits to Prelude vs. P2Viewer/P2CMS.

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on May 17, 2012 at 1:59:37 pm

That would be useful,

I don't at present import many P2 files mainly XDCAM and H264 from a camera card.

Each edit application PP, MC, FCP is able to import/link in different ways,
i'm just not certain of any use for prelude in my case

As a freelancer I have many different edit packages, so I can mix and match, as my clients require.

In the old days we stuck to one make of editing application and its auxiliary utilities, now often several are available which "do the same thing"

It would be good to see them compared. ( i.e. also compressor, squeeze, media encoder)

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on May 17, 2012 at 7:33:55 pm

[Kyle Fordrung] " I have noticed after my testing that the progress bar seems to hang for a while between 1% - 4% and then goes from 5 to 100 almost instantly"

That is normal. This is because it's coping the files in alphabetical order. So all the folders with lots of small files copy first, which takes a while because the copying never gets up to speed, then it hits the VIDEO folder last and the speed ramps up.

I have yet to find a program that didn't copy this way.

Return to posts index

Kyle Fordrung
on May 17, 2012 at 8:52:10 pm

Thanks John.

I just found it odd, because both P2 Viewer and P2CMS have progress bars that seem to go at real-time when ingesting.

Panasonic HVX200
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]