ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Workflow Premiere to Speedgrade and back again

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Brink
Workflow Premiere to Speedgrade and back again
on May 13, 2012 at 5:45:05 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good workflow that incorporates Speedgrade that you can then export back into Premiere and burn to a DVD via Encore?

I found this: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?77013-Speedgrade-Raw-amp-DPX-Wo... - in which people suggest exporting DPX out and putting back into your timeline in Premiere, but I feel like there is a better way. Mainly I don't want to deal with stills...I think that's a little excessive.

In Apple Color, you have a new sequence when you render out back to FCP. Is there something like this in Speedgrade? How is everyone else working this in? Rendering uncompressed files back to Premiere would seem like a huge file to have as an intermediate in your workflow before final render.

Also, what if I needed to make a change in the timeline (ie. adjust an edit) - can I somehow just update the soundbooth EDL without losing everything?

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
Re: Workflow Premiere to Speedgrade and back again
on May 17, 2012 at 1:36:13 pm

You can send an EDL from Premiere to SpeedGrade, conform that to your original media, grade, render your new graded clips, then reconnect to them in Premiere. Then you can send from Premiere to Encore as normal.

This way you don't have to render your Premiere sequence out to a DPX image sequence. Saves a lot of disk space and time. And you can render your graded clips from SpeedGrade to the format of your choosing (ProRes, for instance).

This is basically how Color worked with XMLs from Final Cut. Except a lot of that process was automated: the conform in Color and reconnect in FCP were done automagically by the software.

The current SpeedGrade process works a lot more like bringing something into Resolve: load your media, load your EDL, conform said media to said EDL.

I'm still trying to come up with my own efficient PPro-SG roundtrip workflow using EDL. Haven't set it to work on an actual project yet, so I'm doing this in my free time. The documentation from Adobe doesn't seem to have been released yet, either. If I'm wrong about this, will someone please point me in the right direction?

Return to posts index

Thomas Engelaer
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:48:44 pm

I can follow your workflow until the rendering out of speedgrade. But when I try to relink the media in Premiere it always relinks back to the non-graded material. Although I did render out of speedgrade with the same names. Do you have any tips on that? Can you describe the workflow you use once back in Premiere?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on May 17, 2012 at 3:55:12 pm

Here is the official SpeedGrade help documentation, if you're interested:
http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/speedgrade/topics.html

Return to posts index

Brian Horvath
on May 22, 2012 at 1:07:34 am

As a new SpeedGrade user, I have a question related to what's been discussed here:

I have a 4Tb FW800 drive connected to my MacPro 1,1 which is running Premiere Pro, Speedgrade CS6. I was cutting a multi-cam DV sequence which is roughly 90 min. I wanted to send this to SG to color correct and then output to final. When asked where to save the SG project, I chose the FW drive because I didn't have enough space on the main HD. PP took about 3 hours to transcode dpx, and now I end up with almost 500G of DPX files. SpeedGrade doesn't open the file created out of PP properly and I can't figure why. Could this be because all the DPX now lives on the FW drive and FW800 isn't fast enough? Is there a way to send a project to SG without that long transcode?

I tried to open the SG project by double-clicking the project file, but the video won't open.
Perhaps this is a codec issue?

Maybe someone can suggest a better workflow?

Return to posts index

Mark Kelly
on Jun 17, 2012 at 1:15:15 am

This is what I've learned with SpeedGrade so far:
1) If you use Prelude to ingest DO NOT use the sub-clip function. Either log using comment markers, or import clips directly into Premiere & Log there. The reason being step 2 won't work -
2) When you have finished your cut export the sequence as an EDL.
Create a timeline in SpeedGrade using the EDL.
Navigate in teh Desktop tab to the folder containing your source clips.
In the Reels tab click on "Load from Desktop" to relink your footage.
This way there is no transcoding between Premiere & SpeedGrade saving a generation & disk space.
3) I'm still working on the return route, so if someone is out ahead of me please let me know what the best workflow to return is?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Kelly
on Jun 17, 2012 at 1:17:29 am

NOTE: If you use subclipping the linking from the edl to the footage won't function.

Return to posts index

Murali Subramani
on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:56:52 am

You have to rename the original dir to something else so that premiere will not recognize. then it will ask where is the clip and re route to your graded dir. or rename the graded dir to original name and put it next now renamed original dir. So that premiere will access automatically thinking that is the orig dir.

Return to posts index

Valentin Steiner
on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:58:12 am

[Jeff Brink] " Also, what if I needed to make a change in the timeline (ie. adjust an edit) - can I somehow just update the soundbooth EDL without losing everything?"

Hi,

my name is Valentin and I've been working with SpeedGrade for a few years now, mainly as an online editor and during the finishing phase of feature films.

One thing I've been missing in SpeedGrade was a way to reconform the timeline to new edit versions. SpeedGrade's internal reconform function only carries over on-shot gradings, but most projects involve the use of gradings spread over multiple grading tracks.

So to fix that gap, I've created an tool that does that reconform for you. You can find it on http://www.ircp-tools.com (go to ircp-recycler). I've made a video to introduce the tool: http://docs.ircp-tools.com/videos.htm

The tool works as a web application, where you have your own account to upload and keep your project files. I've made uploading and downloading as easy as possible: to upload, you can simply drag your project files onto your file repository (once you're logged in).

Apart from reconforms because of edit changes, I'm constantly finding new use cases..

• grade simultaneously on two different machines and use ircp-recycler to merge the timelines
  • if you're on a tight schedule, you might consider deliberately grading on a non-final edit version and then do a reconform as the edit goes final
  • re-use dailies gradings as a starting point for final (you can recycle from/to one or multiple files at once)

The tools are free and if there are any questions, I'm more than happy to answer!

Valentin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]