ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Pluggins for Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Brian Cooney
Pluggins for Premiere Pro
on May 12, 2012 at 8:10:08 pm

I'm about to make the transition from FCP7 to Premiere Pro CS6. I'm liking what I am seing regarding the version in CS6. Only problem is I have all these pluggins I use rgularly in FCP. Can anyone recommend a comprehensive bundle, transitions, lensflares, active camera, color effects. I've looked at Boris but I am not impressed. I could go buy them all separately again. But maybe there's a quicker solution in the short term. Doesn't seem like Premiere has all the much in pluggins under the hood. I have Looks for FCP I use Nattress big box of tricks, FX Factory (noise industries) , New Blue, Foundry Keylight, etc.. Just wondering if anyone had come across a pretty comprehensive bundle or a couple bundles that wouldn't totally break the bank.. :-)

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Pluggins for Premiere Pro
on May 13, 2012 at 2:10:07 am

Hi Brian -

Bear in mind that many of the plugins which work in After Effects also work in Premiere. I have several Red Giant packages, and a number of them work in Premiere - a stunning example is the Magic Bullet Looks:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/news/press-releases/archive/item/25/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

george manzanilla
on May 13, 2012 at 4:56:36 pm

I'm on this same train... making the move from FCP7 to PP... The only plugin I've ported over is Magic Bullet... although it does have a strange bug of not using the size of the clip in the timeline. If i have a 720P clip in a 1080P timeline, in FCP7, it would display the clip as 1080P in MBLooks... in PP, it displays at 720P... not a huge deal, but a difference.

Noise Industries would be the ideal for PP. don't think it works yet?

----
george manzanilla
rundfunk media
http://www.rundfunk.com
http://www.georgemanzanilla.com

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 13, 2012 at 7:38:34 pm

I've just upgraded to CS6 as well and am learning all of the edit packages now so I can be "NLE Agnostic". Premiere is looking to be a nice addition to the arsenal but am also lamenting the lack of plugins as I used quite a few in FCP often. Things like the Too Much Too Soon collection, Natress, and more. I would seriously appreciate any guidance to some transitions in particular. Cross Zoom, flash frame...things like that. Heck, even the "Blink" filter from FCP would be nice to have.

May be an opportunity for someone to make a little coin if they created a plugin package that had all of the standard transitions from FCP emulated / ported for Premiere! All of the switchers from FCP to Pr would eat it up. I know it'd make me more comfortable just knowing I could go back to those standard things when I needed to!

Now, you might wanna try out GenArts Sapphire Edge! I was a Beta tester for both version 1 & 2 and love the package! Transitions, Looks, and more!!! I highly recommend it. It also works great in after effects. Go check out the website as there's way too much to describe here (using my phone).

Tony Btittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 13, 2012 at 9:23:56 pm

I was just talking to an adobe guy who told me to think differently than Studio Pro.. He was suggesting I use premiere pro primarily as a strict editor and after effects for all the fx in post.. Saying that many FCP plugins are compatible with AE... A different way of thinking/woring I guess... Also talked to a guy at tool farm and he told me they are coming out with some great plugins for premier by Luca Visual FX. http://www.lucavisualfx.com/ these are pretty usable I think but I'm still lookign for directional blurr transitions, lensflare and glow transitions..

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 13, 2012 at 9:29:20 pm

found this too... even though I'm still not finding what I'm looking for :D

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab4.html

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 13, 2012 at 9:35:34 pm

You should check out that Sapphire Edge package for those kind of transitions and effects! It's really very good and you can use thier FX Central to continuously add new FREE variations and presets! It's not cheap but it's definitely worth it.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 13, 2012 at 9:47:11 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on May 14, 2012 at 2:41:22 pm

So I just downloaded and installed the Sapphire Edge trial based on the recommendation (I'm running CS6 on a Mac Pro with Lion and (pardon me while I yell)...

THEIR TRANSITIONS DON'T WORK AS F******G TRANSITIONS!!!! This is the same problem as Boris, the same problem as Core Melt, the same problem as (seemingly) all of them!!! The transitions actually appear as filters and are applied to the entire clip?!? Now http://www.filmimpact.net/ has a batch of great transitions that dare to work as actual transitions, but unfortunately, his are free. I'm much more satisfied paying $1500-$2000 and have transitions that are totally useless in my bin unless I somehow rig them to appear as transitions. I watched a YouTube tutorial on how to do a 12 frame swish pan that took 4 minutes to do.

And the idea that an Adobe guy told you to do straight editing in Premiere and move to AE for transitions and such is stupid. Part of the editing process is using transitions from shot to shot to complete the edit. I shouldn't have to fire up After Effects to do a simple 6 frame blur dissolve. I also might have to (I know it sounds crazy) adjust an edit after I've placed a transition on. Yeah, let me fire up AE to create a whole new comp so that my lens flare wipe (which can be easily applied/created in Final Cut 7 for god knows how many years) is even possible.

Please tell me I'm missing something because the plug in situation with Premiere is the dumbest, most useless I've seen in all of my years editing. It's one of the things that makes me most irritated with Premiere, but I don't know if blame lies with Adobe or with the third party guys.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 2:51:40 pm

Wow! I understand your frustration. We'll all a bit frustrated at having to look at and use new software because our old stuff was EOL'd or whatever. It's just the reality. And Premiere, while much improved in CS6, just behaves differently what what I'm used to (and probably many others) so there're some growing pains.

Now, while I was in the Sapphire beta program, I had the same concern / issue. The following was posted to the Beta group at one time and I think it may prove useful to you and others who are facing this issue. Here ya go:

As you may have noticed the transitions in Edge behave differently in Premiere Pro compared to FCP & Vegas Pro. In FCP & Vegas Pro Edge transitions behave as "drag-n-drop" transitions.

After Effects & Premiere share the AE API. The idea was that developers can write one version of their plug-ins to work in both products. This API does not currently support "drag and drop" transitions and as a result our transitions are applied as effects in Premiere Pro. We have been in contact with Adobe about adding a drag-n-drop transitions to their API so we can support this in Premiere Pro but as of this date do not have a commitment of when it might be added. Adobe does understand the need/value for this, but wouldn't hurt for them to hear it directly from customers as well.

In the mean time, here is a tutorial one of our Sapphire users put together on using our transition effects (among other tips). The whole tutorial is worthwhile, but if you jump to 16:30 you will get to the part about using Sapphire (and Edge) transitions in Premiere Pro

So...since these were written to be used in both After Effects and Premiere, it has to be that way. Not the fault of the plug-in writters. You might want to check out the link, and maybe put in a feature request with Adobe!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on May 14, 2012 at 3:38:12 pm

Thanks Tony,
It definitely makes sense that it's a fault in the PPro/AE crossover with one plugin trying to serve both masters. Yeah, my frustration is twofold... A) I've actually been cutting on Premiere since 5.0 (about a year now) and this has been something completely basic that has been repeatedly overlooked by seemingly everyone (although clearly Sapphire thinks it missing as well), so I've had a year of pulling my hair out waiting for this to get fixed. And B) seeing as those free Film Impact transitions actually work correctly as honest, true drag and drop transitions, it's proof that it is possible and so it comes off more as "laziness" in that the plug-in writers don't want to create a duplicate set of Premiere specific drag and drop transitions. This is especially frustrating for packages that cost in the $1000s.

I just got really frustrated when I saw the Sapphire site listing their transitions as being: "Sapphire Edge for Adobe Premiere Pro" only to find out (yet again) that only some of Sapphire Edge is really for Premiere Pro. Again, even if the plug-ins reside inside of Premiere Pro, if they don't work as they should it's hard to consider them "compatible."

Tony, if you don't mind, can you please point me in the direction of that tutorial that can help me with the Sapphire transitions?

And thanks for your help with this.

Cliff

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 3:41:47 pm

I thought it was in that first post about it...but let's try again:

http://www.sternfx.com/blog/index.php/08-2011/all-about-transitions-in-prem...

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Cliff Stephenson
on May 14, 2012 at 3:53:54 pm

Thanks Tony! Watching now...

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 3:55:52 pm

FYI some transitions dont even need rendering (depending on your system).
Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 14, 2012 at 4:27:32 pm

ok... back to CS5 editing flow VS. FCP Studio. I just spent some time on the phone with an animator who is familiar with both FCP Studio and CS5(6). He explained to me that Premiere has basically NO FX under the hood. Which for us FCP guys in unnerving. But I think as we transition we may need to think differently. Mo explained to me ( he works on major business projects and motion pictures and is presently in South Africa - which was pretty cool to connect to him via go to meeting) ... anyway.. He hardly ever uses transitions in Premiere... personally he doesn't think they are all that modern used in the typical way, (we could debate that for sure). But he will do rough and fine cuts in Premiere adn then bring everythign into After Effects. After Effects pulls every singe cut in a layered timeline in Premier and assigns each clip to its own layer. From there you can use transitions if you like and still manage handles and such from clips within After Effects. After your (after) effects are applied, you export back to premiere for final post and delivery. So it's a different way of working which is why I am undergoing AE training at present. So... it all kinda sux... but chage is good. Learning is good. Go team!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 4:52:33 pm

Well, that certainly is a different way of doing things. I've used After Effects for some time for certain projects, titles, effects...and just never tried Premiere because I was so happy with FCP 6/7. That workflow just seems kinda clunky but we'll see how it goes.

Like I've said, I'm angling towards being NLE agnostic so I'm learning the main three straight away (FCP X, Premiere, and Avid). In fact, FCP X is actually very good and shows huge promise! There're some things that I just love and some that I just hate. Not the least of which is that our peers hate it and look down those who use it. Yea, there're still some issues...like that damn magnetic timeline (if you could turn it off that'd be very nice)...but once you're using it, you find that it's actually very powerful and quite fast.

Just a FWIW thing :-)

Anyway, onward and upward...I'm looking forward to using Premiere more. And I've never used it with After Effects in tandem so that might turn out to be really cool!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 5:01:55 pm

Read my posting guys. Going into AE for transitions is ridiculous! Check out the links for the Boris transitions if you are serious about wanting to use them in PP. :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 14, 2012 at 5:05:24 pm

will do. thanks... i personally think i'd like a nice arenal of transitions.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 5:08:36 pm

Does about 150 in the library and unlimited by your design fit the definition of arsenal? If not, maybe best just to stick with FCP X :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 5:40:24 pm

See now...that's just uncalled for. Here we are trying to work out what we're going to do and you had to jump in...then try to slam with the FCP X comment. And really, that's probably just a lack of understanding on your part about X because it's actually really nice!

Anyway, Boris is always a good option and they put out great products. Quite pricey in most cases. Maybe Red would be a good package.

Posted from iPhone.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 5:49:14 pm

Not a slam, just an editorial comment :D

I miss a lot of plugins that FCP 7 allowed me access to. And FCP X still can use.

Just trying to help out. Sorry if I bruised and feelings.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 5:53:03 pm

I hear ya Tom. I guess I'm a little over sensitive when it comes to FCP X. I actually like many things about it. Just so used to being belittled about using it that I tend to react quickly like that.

It's all good.

Posted from iPhone.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 14, 2012 at 5:56:43 pm

i don't think you were out of line at all Tony.. that was the kinda shit response that's not helpful at all here.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 14, 2012 at 5:58:39 pm

oops. sorry Tom.. i missed your comment in between. my appologies. :D

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 6:07:33 pm

No problem, Brian :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Walter Hickox Jr.
on May 16, 2012 at 11:59:33 pm

Now my question involves Premiere Pro and Sapphire Transitions. I have searched and have found nothing that hits my issue directly. I found tutorials and not one has worked for me. I just want to know if my issue is a bad installation or ???? No matter what setting I use the clip with the transition applied to it, turns solid red. All the setting tweaks in the world does nothing to change this. Tutorials from anywhere, YouTube.. my monitor turns red while in the tut does not. I also noticed every adjustment I make I can see PP working but rendering a solid red screen. Is there something I'm doing wrong or did I get a bad copy of Sapphire Transitions? It does the same thing in AE too.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 17, 2012 at 3:33:46 pm

Tiwth by Video Copilot has soem awesome transitions that work in both AE and Pr!

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 17, 2012 at 3:43:04 pm

Twitch

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 14, 2012 at 2:59:07 pm

this is good we are exploring and working this all out.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on May 14, 2012 at 3:00:59 pm

Yup...gotta help each other out ;-) That's one thing I always liked about the FCP community...we always did work out stuff together and quickly. I'm looking forward to learning more here.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 14, 2012 at 3:49:38 pm

Hey, if you folks want transitions that KICK ASS then Boris Red 5 for PP will make you happy. REAL transitions, a large library and the ability to make custom ones with LOTS of controls. This dont come cheap, but it does what you want it to do!

http://library.creativecow.net/daigon_tom/Boris-Red-5point0-review/1

http://www.borisfx.com/red/Movie-Gallery.php

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Keith Moreau
on May 15, 2012 at 12:31:32 am

I'm hoping that there will be more native plugins for Premiere Pro. Since they have a 'common' api I'm wondering why AE plugin don't just work in Premiere Pro.

Though I'm grateful for dynamic link to AE for the effects plugins it has, it's a pain sometimes and basically when I do something in PPro and send it to AE, I usually dup it and put it on another track so I have the original in case it loses the link or just doesn't work out. Then when playing in Premiere Pro, usually when it gets to the linked clip, the performance plummets as it an effect that needs rendering, so I usually wind up exporting just that portion as a Prores clip, then import it back in and placing it where the linked clip is, i just find it's less troublesome in the long run to use it this way. I also don't like not having any handles on either side of the linked clip, it's immutable.

Am I being a bonehead?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 15, 2012 at 12:38:16 am

Word on the street is the API for developing transitions for PrP is a big PITA. I had a large German developer who made great transitions for FCP finally give up on PrP because it just took to much time to program.

Boris Red 5 is really one of the few good solutions out there now for sophisticated and customizable transitions.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 15, 2012 at 12:48:41 am

This is quite the adventure isn't it?

I've never actually could get myself to like anything Boris.. But I just may be tainted. Tom are you really happy with Borris Red? Ther'es nothing cheesy in there right .. saw Red demos on the Boris site with text Fx.. thought they were kinda cheezy or dated. Truth is though, if there were even 12 spectacular transitions out of the 30 it would probably be worth throwing down the $1K. What do you think?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 15, 2012 at 12:51:51 am

Brian, you need to be the judge of course. Check out my review then go to the second link which shows just some of the choices. I think you will be a bit surprised.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 15, 2012 at 12:53:14 am

Thanks I will! Noticed you were also thinkign of switching to PC.. they may be coming down the road for all of us hey?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 15, 2012 at 12:58:37 am

Seems to be the logical thing to do these days considering Apples recent behavior on many fronts.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 15, 2012 at 12:56:58 am

yeah... the blurs are nice and I like the "super dissolve overlay".

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 15, 2012 at 1:00:37 am

And you can create your own from scratch using more than just the filters. Lots of power and potential. I only use it for transitions since Im a hard core AE user.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Dave Craig
on May 16, 2012 at 8:57:11 am

The only other "REAL" transitions for PP that I've found are the NewBlue.effects. they have four transition packs available. Not cheap but decent. Cpu acceleration coming soon for Mac but works really fast on my macbook pro. I really miss my fcp lensflare transitions and FXfactory! Grapevine says fxfactory is working on some goodies for PP!!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 16, 2012 at 1:05:33 pm

I spoke to FX Factory directly at NAB and he said FX Factory would never be coded for PrP due to the differences in OS which was crucial to its functioning.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Dave Craig
on May 17, 2012 at 12:10:30 am

I had heard something different from a source in tech support, but then again that was a year ago and things probably changed. Bummer!!

I'm going to look in to the Boris Red angel if they actually have drag and drop transitions!

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 17, 2012 at 3:29:58 am

They have a transition effect that you drop on the timeline at the intersection of 2 clips.Then you open the GUI and select or build the effects you want. Go to these 2 links to learn more.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 17, 2012 at 3:31:47 pm

Twitch by Video CoPilot for $49 has some fantastic transitions that work in both AE and Pr!

Return to posts index

luca bonomo
on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:37:54 am

Hi Brian and everyone,
something has changed regarding plugins available for Premire Pro.
All our commercial plugins, including Sprocket Slip Transition,
are now compatible with Premiere Pro 6.0 running on OS X 10.8.
Light Kit require 10.7. All of them require FxFactory 4.0.
Existing users need to re-download our plugins with the exception of
Light Kit.

http://www.lucavisualfx.com/news.htm

Any question feel free to email us,

regards,

Luca

Return to posts index

Nick Ligonis
on Jul 24, 2012 at 6:40:07 pm

Could not agree with you more. A lack of useful transition plugins is Premiere's achilles heel and it's shocking that this wasn't addressed in CS6.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:06:21 pm

Cliff,

I recently saw your post and wanted to respond. There is the ability for plugin developers to develop a transition specific version of their effect. In the past, their primary focus on Adobe support has been around After Effects where transitions don't really apply. As a result, many of these plugin vendors have not done the extra work to make them compatible as a transition for Premiere Pro.

We are currently reaching out to our plugin partners and requesting that they start the work for creating Premiere Pro transitions where the effects make sense. I would STRONGLY encourage any people who are interested in seeing this happen to do the same.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:17:29 pm

Thanks Dennis.

Yes I recently downloaded the Luca light transitions and film fx. They basically only operate as composits. You need to add a composite mode (screen, etc) and then a fade in/out, etc or speed ramp or slow down to taste. Since I'm just switching over to Premiere, I saw that they had transition pluggins available for FCP 7.0, I have a project this week that is pressing and I remained on FCP for speed of use, so I purchased the FCP pluggins offered as "transitions" only to find that, even though they show up in FCP7.0 in the effects pallet, they still function as video to be composited. So I was kinda bummed that I purchased them again for FCP - even though they were labeled as non Premiere Pro compatible, yet they functioned identically to the versions that were Premiere Pro compatible, with the exception of having them show up in the effects pallet, instead of having to import.. which to me is practically no benefit at all.

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:06:25 pm

Luca FX reached out to me today with an appology for any inconvenince and offered me a free fx package as a gesture of good will. Just wanted to thank them and let everyone in this post know it went a long way in my perception of the company. They are very open to user feedback and requests for new products. Kudos Luca!

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

luca bonomo
on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:19:10 am

Hi everyone,
It was nice to exchange a few emails with Brian,
it is rather rare that a user buys both the alpha transition and the plugin version of the same fx (in this case Light Leaks) and that is what happened this time.

We understand then where Brian comes from.

We developed a plugin solution for fx like film burns after receiving countless requests.
Many users wanted a set of parameters to customize the effect rather than having to apply filters etc.

We developed some of the film fx such as Light Leaks and film leaders
in the form of generators (with enough controls to customize stylization and geometry) to still allow the user to add filters, speed changes and more. These have become incredibly popular since their release.

The best solution for every single user is to download the trial version before buying. It is the best way to know whether the plugin is
what you are looking for.

Many thanks Brian for your words and for giving us the opportunity to discuss and clarify the matter.

We are all ears if anyone has a question or even a plugin or feature request,
Best,

Luca

Return to posts index

Niclas Bahn
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:35:28 pm

Transitions now work natively:

http://www.noiseindustries.com

Return to posts index

Jaap Boerhof