ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

OpenCL acceleration on Macbook Pro with Certified card is BAD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Smith
OpenCL acceleration on Macbook Pro with Certified card is BAD
on May 7, 2012 at 8:28:54 pm

Very disappointed with this.

Basically it makes the computer slower instead of accelerating it. Dropping frames left and right and my laptop is no slouch.

It's a lot faster and somewhat more stable when OpenCl is turned off.

Anybody having success with this?

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
Re: OpenCL acceleration on Macbook Pro with Certified card is BAD
on May 7, 2012 at 8:34:18 pm

Just saw there was another thread with the issue. Sorry i posted too fast.

I guess that answers my question. Basically it's not working. Maybe that's why we never got any specs on speed improvements with OpenCL.

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 7, 2012 at 10:37:13 pm

Nothing to see here either.

So far CS6 on Macbook Pro = FAIL

So much hoopla for a nothing release. Even Speedgrade is a one-way harddrive bloating experience. UltraKey render errors, crashing etc...

If you watch Activity Monitor you will definitely see Open CL slowdown. With Open CL the CPU is between 200-480% usage. MPE only is 500-600+% and renders mucho faster for me. Let's hope there is an update within a few hours that explains everything.

CrippleBook Pro 2.3Ghz i7, 16GB ram, Lion 10.7.3, FCPStudio 3, QT 7

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2012 at 10:45:35 pm

Sounds like you might want to consider Avid or FCP X since you are having such a miserable experience.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 7, 2012 at 10:53:11 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking about it but neither of them give me the performance that Adobe Premier gives me. Neither of those two you want me to use gives me the real-time playback for native formats that Premiere has. i think it would be a step backwards. Have you done any testing with your Boris Red Key compared to CS6 Ultra Key?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on May 7, 2012 at 11:02:25 pm

To tell you the truth, when I have the need for chroma keying I usually use Primatte in After Effects. I havent had the need to do just chroma keying in Premiere.

Although whenever I use the accelerated effects like the 3 way color correct, most of the time I get real time playback with my Quadro 4000 CUDA card.

I just seem to have a positive experience with CS6.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 7, 2012 at 11:17:28 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "Even Speedgrade is a one-way harddrive bloating experience"

You don't have to use Send to SpeedGrade (which transcodes to DPX), you could export an EDL and link to existing media. That method adds no extra space to your hard drive.

If you've got problems troubleshooting OpenCL performance with the MacBook Pro, let's do that.

• What kind of footage are you working with?
  • Does footage play any differently with the Mecury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) disabled?
  • Are the latest drivers for your AMD card installed?
  • Have an external RAID? How is it formatted? How is it connected?
  • Are you running OS X Lion, or Snow Leopard?
  • Any other devices connected?

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 8, 2012 at 3:52:35 am

Working with MTS files from Nex7.
Playback is much better with Open CL disabled.
Apple does not allow driver updates until they say so, the machine is up to date.
External RAID is Raid 0, attached through Sonnet Tempo Pro eSata card.
OSX Lion 10.7.3
Apogee Duet2 connected for sound, external USB hub connected for mouse and external Apple keyboard.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on May 8, 2012 at 6:45:44 pm

Erik,

I will say that "today" the OpenCL playback is not as good as software in all cases. I am working on getting an official post out. I can only say that today is only today... New technology sometimes takes a few weeks to iron out...

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on May 8, 2012 at 6:54:50 pm

I know you can't really go into details but is there a possibility that we will be able to do 1/4 editing of 4K R3D on Macbook Pros?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 8, 2012 at 7:58:41 pm

Very subjective, but my MBP is a Corei7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 330M. With 4K footage, I need to drop resolution to 1/8 for zero dropped frames on playback and for editing.

At 1/4, I drop frames too much, so that it wouldn't be suitable for editing. YMMV with your system and the AMD card. I suggest giving the trial a spin with your footage and your computer.

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 9, 2012 at 4:16:46 am

There's information here about OpenCL processing and other GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro CS6: http://adobe.ly/Je20M2

Note the part toward the end about how updating software now or in the near future is the best way to get the best performance and stability with OpenCL in Premiere Pro CS6.

We can't make promises about the future, but... well, stay tuned.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 9, 2012 at 4:32:48 am

I wait with foot ready, to kick butt with! Go Open Cl Adobe kick butt! With!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 9, 2012 at 8:48:44 pm

Mac OSX v10.7.4 update improves OpenCL performance. See this for details of OpenCL in Premiere Pro CS6: http://adobe.ly/Je20M2

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on May 9, 2012 at 9:12:50 pm

If that wasn't clear enough from Todd, please go get 10.7.4 if you use OpenCL :)

Thanks

Dave

David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 9, 2012 at 10:03:35 pm

Might want to hold off on the update. I have had two straight system crashes while using Open CL. It appears to happen with Non-Adobe plugs, BCC key, Smooth Tone, Light Wrap when at Full Resolution playback. Dropped to half res playback and it seems stable for now, although I already had smooth half res playback without Open CL. That's all I got for now.

Return to posts index

Thomas Smet
on May 10, 2012 at 4:38:34 am

I just tried the update to Lion. Pretty much same exact experience as before.

Phenomenal performance with OpenCL for about 45 minutes. Played with a 3 way CC and all of a sudden OpenCL performance died even at 1/4 resolution. Even raw AVCHD footage would only play at around 10 fps at 1/4 resolution. Delete all clips in the timeline and drag new clips still playback jerky.

Close project and open again with no change. Close CS6 and launch again fixes the problem for awhile until I tinker with some filters again.

Overall OpenCL support is pretty darn slick and is lightyears faster on my 17" MBP until it stops working. I'm starting to think certain combinations of filters or just tinkering with the settings in the filters are whats killing it for me. Perhaps I should experiment with the filters and see if I can come up with a consistant cause of the problem.

Return to posts index

Thomas Smet
on May 10, 2012 at 6:36:00 pm

For fun just launched CS6 fresh and tried beating it up in gpu mode with tinkering with filters. Could not break the gpu mode so I'm back to thinking it just dies after 30 to 60 minutes of use with the gpu mode. Restarting CS6 seems to fix it every time. I am also always able to switch from gpu to cpu mode once the gpu mode croaks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on May 10, 2012 at 6:58:37 pm

Check the power management settings for your computer. Is it possibly using a power-saving mode where the graphics processing is switching over to the the Intel graphics chipset?

(We saw something like that when testing GPU acceleration with After Effects, which is why I ask.)

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Thomas Smet
on May 10, 2012 at 7:06:52 pm

Under the energy saver setting I have the automatic graphics switching turned off. That was the first thing I tried when I tried CS6 on Monday.

I do have:

put hard drives to sleep when possible checked
Wake for network access checked
Automatically reduce brightness before turning display off checked
And the Display set to go to sleep at 1 hour.

Every time the gpu fails however I am actively tinkering with gpu effects or editing so no part of the system is going to sleep as far as I know.

Return to posts index

Thomas Smet
on May 11, 2012 at 3:17:53 am

Just ran CS6 with gpu mode on my 17" and now was able to go for a good 2 hours without the performance dropping. I wasn't adding filters this time and was mostly cutting with a bit of audio EQ and a few dissolves. I stopped editing and the gpu was still going strong. I'm now thinking it wasn't so much a failure after X amount of time but a failure due to some odd combination of filters or just the gpu portion crashing randomly. In fact in almost every situation I was tinkering with gpu effects such as 3 way CC. It doesn't always do it and today was messing around with CC for 45 minutes and didn't kill the gpu. Then the next time the gpu dies after 30 minutes of minor use.

At this time I'm thinking it is more of a random crash of the gpu portion of the application when the gpu effects are being adjusted. It doesn't always happen but that seems to be when it can happen.

Overall I am very happy with the gpu performance in CS6 and look forward to when these gpu crashes can be fixed. For now I have a solid workflow.

use gpu until the gpu mode gives out. Then either switch to cpu mode or restart CS6. If it gets too annoying I can just use cpu for now. It also seems like I may be able to use gpu for most of my cutting and minor assemble of my projects and can expect the gpu to only have problems once I start getting into heavy CC. I do most of my heavy effects work in AE anyway so CC seems to be the only area where I could run into problems.

I do look forward to a fix in the future however and I know eventually we will get there. As a developer myself I totally understand how hard it is to shift gears and start with a new technology and try to bring it up to the same level of performance as the existing technology.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on May 13, 2012 at 5:11:12 pm

Trying to edit a project right now at 1080p.. (coming off R3D at 4K 1/4 not usable and even my current 1080p project) and it is still very painful. Drop frames, crashes etc.

I decided to give FCPX a try just for fun. I bought it originally but dismissed it and didn't even bothered trying the latest update.

My jaw dropped.

This is at full quality playback 1080p. 1 track with transparency PNG mask, 1 track of prores 422 film grain with "Overlay" opacity mode, 1 track with color corrections on a ProRes 444 file. Fade between 2 clips underneath the grain track.

This is not a pre-rendered timeline. No drop frames whatsoever and at full quality. CPU does not go over 24%.

Premiere CS6 is obviously having major optimization issues.

My specs are:

Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz, SSD, 16GB ram, Media on external thunderbolt Raid playback through BMD Ultrastudio 3D

Return to posts index

Thomas Smet
on May 13, 2012 at 9:23:18 pm

Are you comparing a R3D file in one program to ProRes in another program? Not exactly a fair comparison is it?

Have you tried the same ProRes files in CS6? The only way you can really compare is to use the same material with a similar timeline setup.

I have also used FCPX and CS6 on my 17" MBP and honestly both perform about the same give or take an effect here and there. Well at least when the gpu mode is working in CS6.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
on May 13, 2012 at 10:42:03 pm

No I am not.

I meant that R3D at 1/4 was horrible in OpenCL CS6 with my computer configuration so I transcoded the footage to Prores 444 to see if Premiere was going to work better and it did not. It was still a horrible editing experience.

That's why I gave FCPX a try and with the stellar performances I get I now understand that Premiere CS6 needs some serious optimization work with OpenCl.

Return to posts index

Brian Dieck
on Jul 25, 2012 at 5:58:13 pm

Hey, wanted to see if you have heard anything or had any more luck with the Open CL GPU issue. I'm been having the exact same issues. CS6 runs like a champ for about 45 minutes on average then I need to restart the program or switch to Software Only. Definitely very useable, but I'd love to stay in GPU Accelerated.

An word on an upcoming patch or dot release?

Brian Dieck

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:00:35 pm

The Mountain Lion (Mac OSX v10.8) upgrade includes major OpenCL fixes.

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Brian Dieck
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:06:56 pm

Thats excellent news! Thanks very much for the quick response. You guys are awesome. I'm assuming Mountain Lion will still run the CS6 Suite properly?

Has anyone tested with Mountain Lion that was having issues with Mercury Playback on their Macbook Pro (late 2011 model)? I'm likely going to upgrade in the next few days, but I'm curious if anyone else here is already running it?

Brian Dieck

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 25, 2012 at 6:12:38 pm

We're recommending Mountain Lion for Premiere Pro CS6 users on Mac OS because of the OpenCL fixes.

Be sure to check for drivers for third-party I/O hardware and such, since such drivers often lag the OS release.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8) compatibility FAQ list for all Creative Suite applications: http://adobe.ly/QjoLoM

After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]