ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Windows "fixed" my PC - now I'm really screwed!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Felder
Windows "fixed" my PC - now I'm really screwed!
on Mar 20, 2012 at 12:10:29 pm

Just had PPro CS5.5 crash while making an MPEG2 file. That's not a big deal, it happens occasionally. Windows 7 (New PC, just installed last week) gave me a message saying it's installed compatibility settings for me, to allow older programs to run with this current version of Windows.

Following the M$ error message, it tells me I need to adjust my Group policies if I want to turn off Compatibility settings. When I click on "Group Policies" it directs me to the Microsoft website for IT professionals.

I'm not an IT professional and I'm running the latest version of CS5.5 Production Premium with the latest version of Windows 7. Does anyone have any idea what just happened to my PC, and should I be concerned? And even better, how to turn off this Compatibility Setting? There's no reason why I should need to use it

Thanks.

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
Re: Windows "fixed" my PC - now I'm really screwed!
on Mar 21, 2012 at 2:04:59 am

Welcome to Windows...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.0 and 5.5, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Mar 21, 2012 at 7:21:59 am

Just hire an IT professional. Made their living on Windows for years.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1, Premiere Pro 5.0 and 5.5, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 21, 2012 at 8:32:22 am

Dave, is your computer stand alone or on some kind of network in your company? The reason I ask is that I am also running W7, and did not get this kind of conversion ever on my system, in fact it's been more stable than my Mac Pro has been running CS5.5. One possiblity is that this message means you have a network setup that uses Active Directory (for log ins to a corporate network). I say that because when it's telling you to adjust group policies, that's usually setup by a corporate IT person, that may have properly set it up for your network but you need it overridden to run Premiere. Did someone set this machine up for you?

It may also be that the crash is related to the compatibility setting. Some of the issues that could cause this are that whoever setup the machine may have done it in a way incompatible with CS5.5. For example, if you are not running as a privileged user (like admin privs) CS 5.5 might not let you run as a non privileged user. Someone might have set you up purposely that way, and Windows, recognizing that you weren't setup right, upgraded your privileged. That would likely be a good thing for trying to get the software to run right. On my machine, I am a member of the Administrators group. Does anyone know whether CS 5.5 needs to be run as a member of that group?

A way around that issue is to try starting Premiere, by right clicking on the icon, (not the one in the bottom tray, but the one under the Adobe folder in the Start menus) and choose "Run as Administrator". That would temporarily bypass a user setting, and give the right priviledges to the program. Again,I have not needed that on a similarly configured machine.

The web site that discusses these settings and the error message you got, is here. Since Premiere 5.5 is not *an older program* there seems to be something odd about your configuration.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in...

Al

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Mar 22, 2012 at 4:18:27 am

What happens when you use Premiere now?

Return to posts index

Dave Felder
on Mar 22, 2012 at 1:50:27 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Premiere is working fine. If it's running in the mode that Adobe originally intended, or in compatibility mode, I'm not sure.

To Al Bergstein - thanks for your detailed response. It's a stand alone PC (right out of the box from HP). It is web-connected through an ethernet connection in the wall that feeds into a large switch in an office suite (as opposed to being through my own Cablemodem/FIOS line), but I am not on anyone's network, per say. All sharing is turned off on my PC, so unless there's a hacker out there, nobody has access to the machine.

I talked to an IT guy in the building and he suggested updating my video drivers. He also said that if the problem is resolved, Windows will turn off compatibilty mode without asking me.

I just thought: the crash that elicited the compatibility mode was a Premiere crash, but it happened while I was rendering a file to WMV in Adobe Media Encoder. Instead of using the WMV presets, I used the "High Quality Widescreen" setting but then told it to use Maximum bit depth and Maximum Render Quality. It crashed twice. The first time, it just crashed. The second time is when I used the compatibility message.

The third time, I used the plaine preset and it rendered no problem.

Ryan Video Productions Inc. Rockaway, NJ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]