Import New CS5 prproj into Premiere Pro v7

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Newville
Import New CS5 prproj into Premiere Pro v7
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:45:19 am

I have a Premiere CS5 project (prproj).

I want to open it in Premiere Pro v7.

Obviously there is a compatibility issue, but both have similar contents when opened in Notepad. My guess is there must be a string or 2 that can be changed in order to allow the project to open in PP7.

Please don't waste time asking why I would do this.

The questions is how?

Thanks in advance if you can give me any direction.

ShaneNewville.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Import New CS5 prproj into Premiere Pro v7
on Feb 28, 2012 at 3:03:36 pm

Hi Shane,

Premiere projects are not backwards-compatible, except from CS5.5 to CS5. sorry

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:51:02 am

The answer is it's more problematic than it's worth. At first glance, sure the project files may have a similar structure... but after creating some tools on my own for handling projects within my workflow you have to understand that one wrong change can render the file unreadable by both programs. I can only imagine the node structure is insanely different as well.

If PPro 7 supports EDL, I would just render out the project to an intermediate format, load it and then use the EDL to recreate cuts.

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Mar 2, 2012 at 7:15:28 am

The first Premiere Pro does NOT support EDL, so you're out of luck there. About the only way you're going to make this work is by exporting to new video clips- maybe one for each distinct segment of your project- and bring those into 7.

If it's at all possible, you're better off finishing this in CS5, especially if you're using HD of any sort. 7 is incredibly limited as far as format support and export options(no HDV or AVCHD, for example.)

Out of curiosity, what is the final destination of this video?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]