ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

T2i/DSLR slow/jittery playback?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
T2i/DSLR slow/jittery playback?
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:31:50 am

Hi there. I am using Premiere Pro CS5.5 to edit .mov files from a Canon T2i. I upgraded from CS4 a few months ago for the purpose of editing DSLR files in real time, which was an issue with CS4. Things seemed to work fine for a while, but recently the playback of my clips has become slow and jittery in CS5.5... If I place several clips in my timeline and hit play, the first clip will play back fine, but every clip thereafter stutters. I'm not sure where to start fixing this problem.

I did find this thread about a similar issue, but it seemed to be restricted to .mov's from Nikon D7000's.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/911841#911841

Could this be the same issue with the T2i? I'd rather find out if there is a fix for this problem before I start changing the extension to all my files before working. Thanks for any and all input.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
Re: T2i/DSLR slow/jittery playback?
on Feb 24, 2012 at 6:51:03 am

Hey Jake,

Can you post your system specs please including the OS version.

If you don't have a certified NVidia Card that's using the GPU Acceleration, you may need to knock the Playback Resolution down. Once you start adding effects to the DSLR clips they take way more grunt.

- JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Feb 24, 2012 at 5:15:41 pm

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro running CS5.5 Production Premium using Snow Leopard. 8GB of RAM, it does have the NVidia card with GPU acceleration. Let me know if you need different specs, I'm a video guy still trying to learn the computer tech side of things. Thanks!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:10:48 pm

I doubt your graphics card is actually using the GPU acceleration of Mercury Playback Engine as the Mac Laptops never released with compatible cards. So you will be using software mode. Which is fine, you just need to understand some more "tech" to get the best editing experience with your laptop.

This would mean that editing without any effects could be fine on playback res set to 1/2. Cuts only.

Any effects or transitions will best be experienced set to 1/4. Be sure to have the media on a separate drive to the OS, so a FW800 (min) drive or if you have the 17inch with card slot use eSATA connection and drive.

If you want to watch back in full resolution you will need to render to watch it smooth, you can set the render range with the work area bar, using alt+[ set in and alt+] set out for work area bar. Then render the work area bar (I have assigned a short cut "Shift+Enter" for that function as it doesn't have an assigned key/combo by default).

There are some technical things to be aware of, I know it's perhaps not the "creative" responsibility, but once you know some tech behind PPro, you will quickly see how to maintain those "zone" moments.

Keep in mind that the Mercury Playback engine allows for the resolution settings and better codec performance and that lower resolution is an on the fly, Realtime Proxy that doesn't affect the original quality and has no effect on the export settings/quality.

- JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]