ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error ?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Dortch
Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error ?
on Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45:06 pm

Been battling this error message for the last few days. After switching from FCP7 this year, now handling my largest scale edit -- 3x 15min doc edits for broadcast -- with Premiere CS 5.5 All was going fine until it was time to export the project. Every render will fail with the "Error Compiling Movie". Occasionally a render will cause the program to crash and not respond.

After hours of troubleshooting - deleting renders, trashing preferences, trying different codec sequences, doing spot exports and renders, new project importing old assets, making sure hard drive space and scratch disk are cool -- I narrowed down the problem to the still images. Thinking I had a corrupt image somewhere (several photos are used multiple times throughout the edit), I began a lengthy process of re-exporting and conforming all photos through Photoshop (all to PNG, RGB color space, 72dpi). Still no dice! Even a small spot render on ONE photo will crash the program. I'm about to unhook the RAID and try the render on my laptop, just in case Premiere is somehow corrupted, but I'm beyond frustrated.

There are a lot of pan & zoom photos in the timeline. I have handled large scale pan & zoom with Premiere as recently as last week in a small project with no issue. For some reason it's totally killing Premiere now. I read there have been issues with previous versions handling large scale pan & zoom. Is this still an issue? This is a 1080p edit, so average photo size is 2500px wide or so.

New project test with photos from the older successful edit will now return same error upon rendering a still photo.

I've been bouncing photos to linked AE comps for now, but this isn't ideal, and I've STILL had the same error when trying to render the linked AE comps containing the photos. I have already read and tried all of the Adobe help documents for this error, and found them rather vague, like the error itself.

To top off the madness, I bounced an XML to old FCP to attempt to export there, and the audio sync is off by exactly one second on the boom/lav external recording... ugh.

Any ideas?

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error ?
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:26:38 pm

This might get you on the right track:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/906/cpsid_90670.html

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:30:12 pm

I've tried all of that. No dice.

Actually right now I am 90% sure I've narrowed it down to the Mercury Playback engine. After disabling the hardware rendering from the NVidia everything seems to be rendering just fine. Still testing.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:40:04 am

I got that same error today. I solved it by creating a new sequence and just copying everything in the old timeline and pasting it into the new one. It worked like a charm.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jan 25, 2012 at 12:56:46 am

Thanks for chipping in Tom. That was one of the first things I tried. Also tried creating a new project with a new scratch disk and importing old sequence into that. Still no difference.

Was FINALLY able to resolve the render issue by reverting the Mercury Engine to software only. So weird that this popped up out of nowhere. Was working fine last week. No playback issues, or issues rendering video. Just will NOT render or export a still image, especially while panning/zooming.

Could be a problem with the GTX 285 in this machine, but not seeing any other telling signs of graphic card trouble....

Curious to see if anyone else had this issue. Also as a note, still on CS 5.5.1, have not updated to 5.5.2. But again, was working fine for months, but never on a project of this length with this many photos.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Richard Knight
on Jan 25, 2012 at 9:53:15 am

I had the same problem rendering a BluRay, turning off the hardware acceleration fixed it, but it took 27hrs to export.

Richard knight

Return to posts index

Miroslav Pokorny
on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:16:10 am

Your advice seems to make sense at least too me. My understanding is that PP compiles the effects into CUDA code for the GPU.

Ive had similar problems. If i put a clip with a problem fx at the beginning i get the compile error thing right away when i attempt to render a preview. If i move the same problem clip later in the timeline, it takes longer for PP to eventually hit that new thing, "compile" and fall over.

Ive found adding an adjustment layer with "wave warp" at 1920x1080p nearly always causes a compile error. Turning off Mercury acceleration and going back to s/w makes no difference. This last bit of course means my pressumptions about compiling for the GPU, and above should be all wrong.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:29:25 am

it was definitely a GPU issue. Things improved with CS6 and we rarely got the error. Work around was always switching to software rendering.

After replacing the GTX285 with a 680, haven't gotten the compiling error at all. I'm curious to try the wave warp thing!

JONATHAN DORTCH
SLY SPECTRUM

Return to posts index

Miroslav Pokorny
on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:54:57 am

I was trying to use wave warp to create a fuzzy tv effect over an adjustment over the end/beginning like a transition between two similar clips.

Return to posts index

Amshu Chukki
on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:24:32 pm

i get the same issue with cs6 im using a gtx 550 Ti. exporting with software only doesnt give good quality result like with cuda. wat do i do?

Return to posts index

Trust Yardley
on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:28:34 am

I am facing some very similar problems with the project I have been working on. How do you revert the Mercury Engine to software only? I am using Premiere Pro CS6 on a iMac OS X. Here are it's specs.

Processor 2.7 GHz intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I know this may not be the ideal computer for the wedding videos I have been doing but, until now, it has worked just fine. Also, if anyone could give me some suggestions on a good computer to get for pro editing, I would appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
on Nov 22, 2012 at 11:31:00 pm

Thanks for the tip Jonathan. My prob was with the GPU too.

lach

Return to posts index

Amshu Chukki
on Sep 14, 2013 at 12:51:11 pm

did u rectify the problem yet im getting the same proble??

Return to posts index

Stronz Vanderploeg
on Jun 22, 2013 at 4:24:00 pm

I was getting this same error. Somehow my "work area" had been narrowed down to nothing and upon exporting I would get the error message. Changing the work area size back to the length of the sequence fixed the issue. Hope this helps someone.

Return to posts index

Becky Buckles Derrickson
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:07:00 pm

I am getting the same error have tried everything....I am so frustrated this is my biggest video of the year. There is probably 1200 little tinny pieces in my sequence. I spend months working on this and now I have been spending days trying to get it to just export. I have a week to get it exported and to show live to about 500 people. I think I might need to not be a adobe girl any more and start looking for a different editing program.

Return to posts index

James Sehatt
on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:54:46 am

Hi all - Just in case this helps anyone i've managed to get round the render-error message by simply shuting down then restarting Premiere (CC V.8 2014)

Return to posts index

Stephen Malinowski
on Nov 5, 2014 at 10:01:31 pm

I'm having a similar problem; I've posted a description here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1267290 (Stephen Malinowski)

Return to posts index

Lisa Boer
on May 25, 2015 at 11:20:10 am

Hey jonathan

It's been a long long time since you've posted about your render-problem, but I have a possible solution (if you have both premiere and after effects that is)

I've found that whenever I put too many effects on layers, or use PNG-files, Premiere simply will refuse to render. To deal with this I select all layers within my project, right click and go for 'Replace with After Effects composition'. This will open after effects and you will get to see all your layers again. The beauty of it is that After Effects never complains on rendering.

So, hopefully that might help you in the future.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]