ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Merging several clips to one clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Storheim
Merging several clips to one clip
on Jan 4, 2012 at 10:20:33 am

Hi,

I'm working on a project in Adobe Premiere CS5.5.

I'm shooting on Panasonic P2 cards, using AVC-Intra 50 (25p).

Since P2-material comes in as an individual clip per recording, it's quite different from working the way we're used to with one long clip using cassettes. My wish is to merge theese clips to one, but I'm having some challenges. This is what I've tried:

1. In Project window, I try to mark several clips and drop them to the source window, but only one of them appears at ones (the rest is in the dropdown-box above the window).

2. In Project window, I mark several clips, go to Clip, but the option Merge Clips are greyed out (why? is there a format limitation for this function?)

3. In Project window, I mark several clips, add them to a new seqence and use the sequence as a source for my main sequence. BUT, the limitation is the audio. My output should be a stereo sequence. Adding the source-clips to a stereo-source-seqence, makes of course the audio coming from the source-sequence a stereo track. My wish is to preserve four mono-tracks. I've tried making a source-seqence with a 16 track mono master, but this one won't add to the main seqence (which has a stereo master).

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

Best regards,
Lars Storheim

Return to posts index

Louis Eguchi
Re: Merging several clips to one clip
on Jan 4, 2012 at 11:54:23 am

this might help...
> grab all the clips from the bin and drag onto a sequence timline. (they all go right next to eachover)

> while all the clips are highlighted in the sequence RMB>group.

however this might not be what you want as it seems you want them to all appear in the source monitor together? is so you might want to bypass all this and use something like mpegstream clip to transcode them all into one long avc intra.

if you are confident with the terminal or command line use something like ffmpeg to batch transcode into one. (not sure what the file size limitations there are for avc intra)

----------------------------------------------------
Director of new media startup company
Part time DIT
----------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Lars Storheim
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:24:17 pm

Thanks for your reply, but grouping the clips, does not allow me to preview them as one clip in the source window...

Transcoding them as one clip is of course an opportunity, but my mission is to find a more efficient way to work, and unfortunately, transcoding them is clearly moving in the opposite direction.

But thanks anyway :)

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:41:00 pm

Why not work within the timeline?

If they are all in there, then why not make choices in there.

You can stack a sequence in the UI so there are two tracks shown, whereby 1 can be used to set I and O points around a section you want to keep and lift that which pulls it into the clipboard ready to paste into the next sequence you have open. (although I work in reverse of that and I O around the junk and life the rubbish out)

Working my way I make a RAW seq, the Duplicate that, then work from the duplicate as my Pass 01 and pull out the rubbish. Then If I really need to I would set markers to know what sections are doing what.

This way I can scan the mouse over the markers to get the comments in the pop up box.

Move on to Pass 02 and start to reorganize the clips into the edit.

To remove all gaps, if I used lift and not extract, which close the gaps left behind from a lift function, the "trick" is to add a black video or Colour Matte clip across the top the entire length of the sequence. The select all, and remove the selection of the black video or colour matte clip with the shift key held down, the drag the rest of what is selected over, to make overwrite, the black video or colour matte clip. Then drag it back down to where it was. What's happened here is effectively you have cookie cut into the top clip (black or colour matte) Then you just select the top clip and do a ripple delete (Shift+Del) and the gaps will be gone!

Let me know how it works for you.

There is a video here that I did that shows how to use the two "stacked" Sequence panels.

JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index

Wolf Lawrence
on Oct 22, 2015 at 9:11:24 pm

i have clipped the highlights of my video timeline and dragged them up to a new video/audio track so now i have 100 tiny highlight clips plus 99 large gaps between and i want to laso them all and ripple them together without deleting any of it. how do i just ripple together 100 separated audio/video clips on one track on a timeline?

if this is the answer (not sure yet), please clarify it or make a video:

To remove all gaps, if I used lift and not extract, which close the gaps left behind from a lift function, the "trick" is to add a black video or Colour Matte clip across the top the entire length of the sequence. The select all, and remove the selection of the black video or colour matte clip with the shift key held down, then drag the rest of what is selected over, to make overwrite, the black video or colour matte clip.

Then drag it back down to where it was. What's happened here is effectively you have cookie cut into the top clip (black or colour matte) Then you just select the top clip and do a ripple delete (Shift+Del) and the gaps will be gone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]