ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Enter Searchable Keywords in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Hill
Enter Searchable Keywords in Premiere Pro
on Nov 29, 2011 at 1:00:08 pm

I've done my searching, but I can't seem to figure this one out. I'm logging & capturing lots of Broll footage from DV tapes and writing out keywords in the Description & Log Notes boxes. I then have to find the files in Bridge and copy those "keywords" into the actual keywords area in Bridge in order to make them searchable.

Is there any way to expedite this process by entering keywords in Premiere that are searchable in Bridge?

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: Enter Searchable Keywords in Premiere Pro
on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:12:25 pm

The short answer is:

In your Preferences > Media Preferences

choose the checkbox for

"Enable Clip And XMP Metadata Linking Check this box to link clip metadata to XMP metadata, so that changing one changes the other."

This is from:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSAB1EDD0E-ADC2-4a10-B399-...

Not able to test this now....but you might need to put your keywords in to fields that are common to both XMP data and PPro Project data.

Remember there is some distinction about a FILE that lives in the file system versus how that file is used as a CLIP inside a PPro project. (for example having multiple differently trimmed instances of the same FILE as different CLIPS.) So in some cases in the Project Panel there is metatdata that distinct to the PPro project versus that which is common to the File asset itself.

But as far as creating searchable keywords common to PPro and Bridge, this should be able to be achieved pretty painlessly.

Let me know if this helps.

:)

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:36:04 pm

Hey Alex,

Thanks a bunch for the reply. I checked the preferences and that box is already checked. It's transferring the Description and Log Notes just fine over to Bridge, but it doesn't associate any of them as Keywords. I have to copy paste those from the Log Notes to the Keywords field in Bridge after the fact.

It's not unworkable, just not ideal when logging and capturing 100's of hours of footage.

Thanks again for taking notice of the thread though. I welcome any other insights you might have.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:54:04 pm

Wow....

seems like there should be a function or script in bridge to automate that action across a selection set.

hmmmm....thinking....

Alex

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 30, 2011 at 2:39:26 pm

Chris....

focusing on Bridge for a second....

What's the point of duplicating the metadata into the keywords?

You can search across all metadata in Bridge.

So why duplicate it?

Alex

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:00:51 pm

Hey Alex,

Regarding Bridge, again it's just a convenience issue. The default criteria in Bridge are to search Filename & Keyword. So rather than just being able to use the UI Search field at the top, I have to first perform a search which will bring up and empty search result then click the button "New Search" which seems to appear only after having done that inital search, which opens the dialogue box allowing me to change the search criteria to Description and/or Log Notes.

This search criteria resets every time I close and open Bridge, so this is a repeating process.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:11:09 pm

Chris....

Check out Smart Collections in Bridge.

They are collections based on search criteria of metadata.

I think this will give you what you want.

See this video I found:

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Ryan Summers
on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:55:09 am

Not sure if this helps, but if you turn on the Subject Field of Dublin Core in Premiere's Metadata Display menu, it maps directly to keywords. If you update a keyword in Bridge, it will pop up in Premiere.

Surprisingly, it will even allow you to generate brand new Bridge keywords directly in Premiere. I'm kind of astonished that Adobe would hide away this ability (and even having labels that don't correspond to one another) but it's a great way to start generating meaningful metadata that can be shared across the Adobe product line.

Return to posts index

Christopher Hill
on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:10:09 am

Ryan! That's almost exactly what I was looking for! This definitely should be better documented somewhere.

Alex and Ryan, you've both been invaluable in helping solve my dilemma. Thank you very much for your efforts. Now I wish Premiere had this ability during the log and capture, but just the fact that I don't have to go into bridge to log keywords will help a LOT.

I think we can consider this one solved. Thank you both again for your help. Who knew "subject"="keyword"

Cheers,

Chris

Return to posts index

Ryan Summers
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:13:45 pm

No problem, Christopher - I was having nearly the same issue only I was coming from the opposite direction. I had tagged 3 days of videos and stills in Lightroom with keywords and was sorting them through Bridge when I realized that none of my metadata efforts were viewable in Premiere.

Adobe could have a bullet point feature that connects Premiere to Bridge to Lightroom if they only got their naming synced up across the various apps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]