ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Why Encoder takes over 24 to export 100 minutes CS5 project?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Ken
Why Encoder takes over 24 to export 100 minutes CS5 project?
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:39:13 pm

I'm trying to export a project (100 minutes soccer game video) using Premiere pro cs5, shot in HD 1080i/24fps (AVI format). But it has taken over 24hrs and still encoding, now at 85%. My laptop memory is 2.5GB.

How can I speed up encoding?

Thanks.

Al Ken
Bells Video Prod

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Why Encoder takes over 24 to export 100 minutes CS5 project?
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:18:22 pm

Hi Al,

You're going to need more CPUs and more RAM. Laptop are also inefficient when it comes to encoding since they often cap processing power to reduce heat.

CS5 needs about 12 Gigs of RAM on newer CPUs. I would also recommend at the minimum an i7 quad core CPU.

You could also look at a used dual Xeon Mac Pro, use boot camp if you are a Windows guy.

We still have a 3.1 (8) core Mac Pro that easily burns our newest i7 CPUs at encoding time, and they are very reliable. You can get one of these on eBay for about $1200.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Al Ken
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:29:38 pm

Thanks Vince. Actually I have a new PC with the specs but can't use it because cs5.5 premiere pro failed to import video clips using the PC. Error was "... Unsupported compression format".

My Sony camcorder uses AVCHD .MTS format. Not sure if cs5.5 support this format. Any idea?

Thanks.

Al Ken
Bells Video Prod

Return to posts index

Chase Carnahan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 3:08:48 am

Hey Al,

On the Adobe Website it says "Import and natively edit AVCHD content from Sony, Panasonic, and Canon cameras without transcoding or rewrapping the content. Use the Media Browser to browse clips and view metadata — including metadata from Panasonic AVCCAM cameras." for CS 5.5. http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/features.html

They say that even the trial version of CS 5.5 comes with all of the necessary codecs, but I, too have had trouble with some unsupported file formats. If you're having trouble I recommend reinstalling. A lot of times that fixes some minor problems.

In regards to your slow export...Vince's post is correct. More core's at a higher processing speed = better.

Chase

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]