ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Basic Editing commands missing...

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
Basic Editing commands missing...
on Nov 11, 2011 at 11:49:54 am

Hello guys,

By and large I am very happy with my move to PP from FCP, but there are a few ghastly omissions which drive me nuts, DAILY!

1/ mark IN mark OUT and copy! How can this be missing on an editing platform???

2/ mark IN mark OUT and delete or ripple delete. Also, incredibly not there! I know you can Lift and Extract, but those copy the junk to the clipboard and you may have something in the clipboard you plan to paste.

Personally I would much prefer it if PP would use the same commands for deleting, copying, cutting clips selected by the mouse as for regions marked by IO points. This is much more intuitive and user friendly, less confusing differences between modes to learn.

If they will not do that, I think it is imperative they offer keyboard shortcuts to perform these basic functions... after all, as Larry Sherwood once said, "you can't fly with the eagles if you are playing with a mouse"!

All the best,
Mark.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Basic Editing commands missing...
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:11:11 pm

Mark, something is amiss with your PrP. (FYI Im on a Mac)

1. I have Mark In (I key) and Mark Out (o key) on my Prp 5.5

2. Copy is Command C - Paste is Command V

3. Delete - The key just to the right of the + sign.

Heres a quick suggestion. To expedite and supplement your learning curve (PrP has some MAJOR differences from FCP), get this book

http://www.amazon.com/Editors-Guide-Adobe-Premiere-Pro/dp/0321773012

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 11, 2011 at 4:58:58 pm

LOL, thanks Tom, but I think you have misunderstood me.
I am talking about areas of the timeline marked by In and Out points, and not marquee selected clips.
There's no copy, delete, ripple delete for an IO selection.
Cheers, Mark

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Nov 11, 2011 at 5:14:46 pm

LOL! Ooops, my bad.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 12, 2011 at 1:52:47 am

ahhh the days of edit* :)

Always nice to see you stirring up trouble Mr. Palmos. :)

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 12, 2011 at 3:16:47 pm

heh heh, ja alex, old dogs and new tricks? naaah!
it does amaze me however, that discreet edit* had SO much right, and that a great bit of software like Premiere is missing some basic functions.

I wonder how mr sherwood is doing, I think he's in the sony camp these days... Hows things with you alex?

cheers mate,
Mark.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Nov 13, 2011 at 12:55:44 am

Mark...

things are ok. Holding up fort at a local ad agency doing nothing but car dealer spots.

I just did a webinar on "PPro for FCP users" last month month. I was fun demo'ing again.

I've used both FCP and PPro routinely over the last few years. So I've adapted to both of their quirks.

I'm excited about the energy around the PPro camp.

I never did get to see the video you did describing the track patching . You still have that around?

What about you? What/How are you doing these days?

Alex

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:35:31 am

[Alex Udell] "I never did get to see the video you did describing the track patching . You still have that around?

What about you? What/How are you doing these days?"

Hi there mate,
I can have a lookie see later today, I have bad bronchitis at the moment, been up since 4am coughing, so will try get some sleep in a while, but will send you a link if its still there. It isnt a fully developed thought though... i seem to remember there being some oversights in my suggestion, but i will send it anyway.

I recently told my biggest clients that I no longer wanted to polish their turds, but did want more work from them. I got their attention. Basically I realised I was way burned out on trying to make yet another very sexy pitch or credentials video for this agency, but really wanted to do stuff involving filming people, and editing of stuff that is more about content than smoke and mirrors whizz bang... so I am almost 100percent doing video podcasts. I bought a prompter, some portable lights, traded my car in for an estate, and bang around London and the south east doing work I much prefer. It was a risky move, but im very glad i did it!

catcha later,
Mark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]