ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Reconnecting Media... A lot of it. Mass linking possible?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Newman
Reconnecting Media... A lot of it. Mass linking possible?
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:26:28 pm

I'm primarily a FCP editor, but am assistant editing on a Premiere Pro 5.5 project.

Workflow---This is not an online project. We have HD 1 - The main editorial and assistant editorial drive. I organize, she edits. Then, HD 2 - Purely a back up. To enhance the productivity of our workflow, since only one of us can be working at a time, I would like to use HD 2 for my work, then export EDLs, etc, for the editor.

Problem--- The backup drive throws all the media offline, since, I can only assume, the project files reference HD 1's information and folder name and structure. Everything is identical, but HD 2 throws everything offline.

My question.. Is there a way for me to connect everything at once like? There are hundreds and hundreds of clips and the 'one by one' window prompt I'm greeted with in relinking the media is a waste of time. Is there a function that, like in FCP, one can do a mass reconnect?

Thanks,

Evan

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
Re: Reconnecting Media... A lot of it. Mass linking possible?
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:40:28 pm

You are one of MANY professionals who in switching from FCP have bumped into this major problem with Premiere Pro. It does not have the same search and connect function that FCP has. I would suggest placing a feature request at this website...but dont do it today. The website is down.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digita / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Evan Newman
on Sep 25, 2011 at 7:51:08 pm

Ah, that is disappointing. Thanks, and I will definitely post up on Adobe boards. (I'll ask for color-coded markers while I'm at it too.)

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: connecting Media... A lot of it. Mass linking possible?
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:48:07 am

A Pro, needs professional tools. Lol.
Just quoting adobe!!
Premiere is great but far from finished.

Return to posts index

Philipp Hampl
Re: connecting Media... A lot of it. Mass linking possible?
on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:21:33 pm

Throw every single into one single folder! Thats what we coped with that situation- we had over 6000 clips!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:30:05 pm

Generally, if each drive has the same folder/file structure, linking one file will link all the files. I'm on Windows and with external drives sometimes they're plugged in and assigned a different drive letter which will unlink the entire project.

I suspect something deeper is going on though. Are you mirroring the hard drives before or after Premiere reads the project for the first time?

I ask this because Premiere, by default, writes an ID number to the metadata of the file so it doesn't do things like double conform files if a second copy is brought into the media library (bin). I wouldn't be surprised if it helps re-link projects as well.

- Angelo Lorenzo
- http://FilmsFor.Us Helping you sell your film online

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:32:27 pm

Hard drives on Macs dont have assigned letters.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:43:41 pm

Tom, I was giving that as an example of how often I have to relink media, so I am familiar with his issue regardless of how it may be caused.

Just a point of clarification.

- Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:44:57 pm

Sorry! I got bitten when a large project was cut on another MAC, then dumped to a hard drive for transporting, then I dumped it to my raid array. The lack of a search/reconnect function made life hellish :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:54:21 pm

No worries, I'm sure the web makes me come off harsher than I mean to.

I kind of what to see how his assets are managed. I believe Premiere matches up a project when you point to one file and it does some lateral searching to other folders around where the project is located. I've always success with minimal clicks relinking things.

- Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 25, 2011 at 10:57:00 pm

Its really a bitch when you are working on someone elses project with lots of folders and no familiarity with all the clip names :(

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:01:11 am

The only way this turns into a problem is if material is scattered about haphazardly. As Angelo mentioned, if everything is kept together under a main project folder, linking one single file will allow Premiere to find the rest. I do this all the time considering I work on Premiere on both platforms.

If this is not the case, I would imagine that the organization of the project itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:34:26 pm

You comment reflects the limits of your experience.

One of the many requirements of a good editor is organization. That means files are organized into a variety of folders for quick reference and access during the creative process. Dumping all the files into one folder is a sure sign your an amateur or someone who hasnt had to work in a professional environment where other editors need to work on the same project you are or are sent out for color correction,etc.

I have many folders (clips (folder by scene or day of shoot) / audio/b roll/graphics/ animation / Mocha tracking / After effects / )that are all under one Project folder, and when this was handed off to another facility to complete the projects, Premiere Pro couldn't reconnect media to save its life. It needed to be guided to each folder when it came across a new clip it couldnt reference. FCP would have scanned and reconnected in about 20 seconds.

It sounds like working on one of your projects by another editor would leave a lot to be desired :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:28:18 pm

Hi Guys....

It's not that Ppro doesn't have relink....

PPro generally uses the respective OS's search tools for finding media.

Preemptively in workflow, this is why I suggest that people don't change the name of clips in project panel and use description or some other metadata flagging for useful editor naming.

So when this happens you can:

1) Choose to enter the project with all media offline
2) Select the name of a clip in the project panel
3) Copy (cntrl or cmd C) that name to the clip board
4) right click the clip and choose "relink"
5) then using "find" button on the windows side or the search tool (magnify glass field, if you've enabled in the mac os Prefs) on the mac you can paste the name of the clip in and use the search results to relink the media.
6) make sure you are relinking to live media and not the archive paths (based on 2 drive scenario as described in this query)
7) As assets are successfully linked, paths to the media are added as valid and any other project media found in those paths will be linked automatically. so you shouldn't have to do every clip one at a time.

Obviously, the more scattered your media, the more paths you'll have to validate. You also have to be careful of naming collisions. so initially, where you have a choice, it's a good idea to have a naming convention that helps you identify clips uniquely. I say where you have a choice because a lit of file based media doesn't give you that option.

Hope that helps....

Alex

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:38:01 pm

Alex, nice work around until Adobe fixes this semi-functional process.
Working on your own small projects is no problem. Working on large shared projects is a nightmare. :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:17:01 pm

Tom,

believe it or not,

I actually developed that in a workgroup environment. :)

Alex

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:29:29 pm

I believe it. In that work situation, necessity is the mother of invention. Maybe Adobe will get so many complaints they will fix this vestigial stumbling block. :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

John-Michael Seng-Wheeler
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:21:48 pm

Tom, I have a suggestion.
I believe the problem is that although the folder structure on the two drives is the same, PP has written something into the metadata of the files on HD1 and since it doesn't find that on HD2 it's asking for every file one at a time. Silly? yes, but I think I have a work around:

With the project open and everything linked to HD1, select all your media and "make offline"

then Save As... and copy that project file to your computer. (that way the project file on the main computer wont be saved with everything off line... a nice present for the next editor who opens it.)

Then open the project on your computer, and select all the media and select "link Media...."

PP should find everything in one go.

I don't know why, but if you send everything offline manually, PP will find all the files automatically when normally it would ask about every file. I'm guessing it's cause it isn't looking for the ID in the metadata.

I've used this method to reconnect to proxies and color corrected stuff that isn't even the original file formant. As long as they're all the same name and in the same place, it'll find them all.

Return to posts index

on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:26:38 pm

An additional idea, which I haven't tried, is:

When PP opens the project and asks you to relink to the missing footage, instead of relinking anything, click "Offline All" and then once the project opens select everything and "Link Media...".

EDIT: I tested this, it doesn't work.

The only way I can make everything relink at once is by selecting everything in the project panel and right click. "Make Offline", then "Link Media"

This does seem like a silly little problem, but at least PP is capable of Mass relinking everything. If that feature was actually truly absent that would be bad.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:08:15 pm

I appreciate your creativity John. The one thing that might screw up your first solution is that...

1. Editor 1 works on his system (HD1)

2. Editor 1 copies project from HD1 to a portable HD2 which immediately screws things up.

3. Editor 2 get HD2 (messed up) and copies project to HD 3

The project is now 2 hard drives away from the original with no helpful links coming from HD2 which was used just to transport it.

I think it really needs to be fixed, for professional facilities not to cringe at the though of sharing projects with systems external to theirs.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:47:37 pm

Can you get editor 1 to Offline everything, save as, and email you the project flie?

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:52:08 pm

LOL! John I was just describing a standard work flow situation I have been a part of in the past. But what good is emailing the project if its 2 steps away from the original storage and has no frame of reference with the new storage on the last editors raid system?

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

on Sep 26, 2011 at 9:55:56 pm

Is all the footage in the same file structure with respect to the other files on the new drive? If so PP will relink everything, you just need a new copy of the project file from the editor on HD1

I've done the exact workflow you're describing many times so I don't know why PP messed up this time, but the manual offline will make relinking more likely to succeed.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 7:54:35 pm

[Tom Daigon]You comment reflects the limits of your experience.

Hey, Tom, thanks for the condescension. Appreciate it.

[Tom Daigon]One of the many requirements of a good editor is organization. That means files are organized into a variety of folders for quick reference and access during the creative process. Dumping all the files into one folder is a sure sign your an amateur or someone who hasnt had to work in a professional environment where other editors need to work on the same project you are or are sent out for color correction,etc.

Ah, so your condescension stems from the fact that you made an assumption as to what I meant. Nice of you to immediately jump in with both feet without asking any clarifying questions.

As I originally wrote:
"if everything is kept together under a main project folder"

Which is what you describe here:

I have many folders (clips (folder by scene or day of shoot) / audio/b roll/graphics/ animation / Mocha tracking / After effects / )that are all under one Project folder,

And I've only ever had to find one file and then Premiere does the rest. Granted, it used to be more frustrating, but CS5.5 has yet to cause me to jump through any hoops.

It sounds like working on one of your projects by another editor would leave a lot to be desired :D

Please show your attitude the door next time.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:33:42 pm

Sorry bud, but when you make negative assumptions about my organizational skills with smart aleck lines like...

The only way this turns into a problem is if material is scattered about haphazardly.

and then end your communication with a snide line like...

"If this is not the case, I would imagine that the organization of the project itself leaves a lot to be desired."

You better expect a little attitude back atcha.

Your use and experience is obviously different than mine. I have worked for 30 years in professional facilities where projects had to be shared. My recent implementation of PrP revealed limitations in its search / reconnect abilities compared to FCP.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:55:09 pm

[Tom Daigon]Sorry bud, but when you make negative assumptions about my organizational skills with smart aleck lines like...

Tom, just to refresh your memory: a) you're not the OP b) this is what you posted that I responded to.

[Tom Daigon]Its really a bitch when you are working on someone elses project with lots of folders and no familiarity with all the clip names :(

So you're not even correct in this assumption. Seriously, you're batting .0000 right now.

You better expect a little attitude back atcha.

Are you really this sensitive in real life?

Your use and experience is obviously different than mine.

How is it "obviously"? Based on this one post?

My recent implementation of PrP revealed limitations in its search / reconnect abilities compared to FCP.

And I gave my own experience that if you have everything organized under one primary project folder, that its far simpler than you're apparently experiencing. I'm sorry if you feel that your assumed experience of mine doesn't quite match up with your 30 years, but I reconnect media all the time with very complicated projects under Premiere and with CS5.5 I've only had to find one file for it to reconnect properly.

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:16:02 am

Tom/Gary,

In my cross platform experience for whatever reason (OS backend permissions? for developers) I don't really know, but there does seem to be a better single file as reference to all other assets in PC than that with Mac.

Filing Bug reports and Feature Requests is the best way to communicate with Adobe Development Teams. Keep in mind that the PC version of Premiere Pro has had version 1, 1.5, and 2 only on PC and that CS3 was the first time back to Mac.

Patience is a virtue. This space is supposed to be productive and if you aren't already aware the host of Creative Cow can and will suspend your accounts if things get too heated.

Passion is great, using this space to vent is counter-productive.

Respectfully, JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:32:37 pm

Jon, if you think this exchange was heated, then you havent been over to the FCP forum recently. Now thats venting! :D

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:10:50 pm

Hey Tom,

I can only imagine, just thought as we all want the same things, I'd try to give a 'gentle' reminder that the folks that run this site do give out warnings and I have seen you give some great productive feedback, amongst so many others. We all want the same thing, a product that we can be proud to use in the toolkit and a healthy communication with the users/developers. I feel that Adobe have been responding to the needs of the users and working towards providing a product that stands on its own. More work to do, there is never "no more work to do", and these forums are constantly being resourced by all concerned.

Hope I didn't sound like a wet blanket, I've had my own "moments". Apple's decision has certainly created an "interesting" point in time for video and plenty of attention in Adobe's direction.

Ciao - JB

Jon Barrie
Adobe Video Solutions Consultant ANZ
Jon's YouTube Tutorial Page
follow Jon with twitter

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Sep 28, 2011 at 10:19:37 pm

Jon, I appreciate your timing and voice of reason. I am excited and enthusiastic to assist Adobe in making this software the best available.

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

James Sehatt
on Aug 5, 2014 at 7:33:49 am

any progress with this???
im on prem cc 2014 and the media-re-link just does. not. work. deadlines are to be met, yet i can't even relink media to output the project.

Return to posts index

Evan Newman
on Oct 1, 2011 at 12:55:06 am

Hey, all! Thanks for the support. Much thanks. My files are organized very well and mirrored perfectly. In fact, I was so frustrated with what I tried originally that I did not try again, and avoided using the drive all together. Now that I have to use it, I selected a group of clips, relinked one, and all of them relinked. So apparently, this is a non issue (even though this is a slightly clunky method IMO).

Again, I just linked one having selected all of my clips in a folder, and all of them relinked.

Thanks again, and I won't be giving up on Premiere just yet.

Return to posts index

harry felbar
on Oct 3, 2011 at 10:19:12 am

Hi guys!
Very much new in the area of crossing over to premiere from fcp.

I was wondering is there a way of using rendered (preview) files in premiere from a different project (also in premiere)? Same original files are in question that were rendered, but after some skipping to fcp and back, all are unrendered.

using cs5 and fcp7

Return to posts index

Elena Deryusheva
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:38:27 am

Hello, guys.

One trick that I found for reconnecting media when you have same names for multiple clips on multiple hard drives.
I am working with a project from 3 hard drives, and each contains many folders with clips that are mainly named 0001,0002,0003, (or 000+ some 1-2 didgit number). Therefore, it's hard to know, if the clip, say, 0006 is from folder of January 2 or january 3. However, one day you may have shot for a long time, and you get number 0132, or shoot on a different camera and get 3044 file name.
So, I was pushing "skip" until I found this kind of unique file number, and then I was sure I am reconnecting it with the right folder and right hard drive. After I did it 2 times, all of my media was reconnected.

Hope, it's making sence :)

Hari Bol!
Elena

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]