ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Single Side Transition Hot Key

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Sarver
Single Side Transition Hot Key
on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:41:25 am

So I am a noob at PP CS 5.5 recently making the jump from FCP7. Currently I am working with a ton of very short sequences that I need to add single ended cross dissolves (dissolve to nothing not another clip). Currently the only way I know to do this is by dragging the cross dissolve over from the effects bin. While that isn't a problem for a typical sequence it becomes tiresome as each sequence I am working on has eight of these. In FCP I just pressed command T and it applied. Is there anything like that in Premiere to help speed up my current workflow? Thanks in advance for the help,

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Single Side Transition Hot Key
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:00:13 am

This should do the trick:

Command + D applies the default video transition
Command + Shift + D applies the default audio transition

Use the page-up and page-down keys to jump between edits (you need to be over the edit for the transition to be applied). Note that this only works for active (i.e. hilighted) tracks.

You can set the default transitions' lengths in the preferences.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Sarver
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:06:18 am

Thanks for the reply. That works for me when I have two clips laying next to each other on the same track. In this instance however on V2 - I have a logo overlay and on V1 - I have the source material. I need them both to fade to black independently. The problem is that the hotkey for default transition seems to only apply when there are clips next to each other on the timeline. I need the logo and source material to fade out to nothing on the timeline. In this setting, I can't get the short cut key to work. Am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:21:51 am

Hm... I believe it is possible to fade to nothing. I recall having done it with audio recently. Make sure the clip you want the fade to happen on is on an active track (I set hotkeys similar to FCP for this -- cmd NUM1, NUM2, NUM3, etc to activate the video tracks, and opt NUM1, NUM2, NUM3, etc for the audio).

I'll give this a try when I get into the office tomorrow morning and see what happens....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Greg Andonian
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:41:33 am

I tried this out and it did work- you just have to make sure the track(s) with the clips you want to apply the fades to are selected, and the CTI has to be right over the end of the clip for the shortcut to work- which is where the PageDown key comes in.

This looks like it could be a HUGE timesaver...

Return to posts index

Steven Pritchard
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:03:58 am

If you highlight the track and clip and position your CTI where you want the transition then press CTRL and D it will add the default transition.

Return to posts index

Ryan Sarver
on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:59:15 am

Thanks guys for all the help. I tried what you all said and got it working. Thanks so much.....it is going to be a huge time saver.

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:57:50 pm

Keep in mind that you can bind any key to perform this task - in fact I use this so often I customized the "E" and "R" keys to add the default video and audio transitions, without needing the CTRL or CMD.

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:33:03 am

[ARGH! I didn't notice that lots of people had already answered this!]
Ignore me... ;-(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]