ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mono to stereo conversion while in timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Mono to stereo conversion while in timeline?
on Apr 23, 2011 at 8:27:43 am

Hi there. I have a bunch of sequences I'm working on in Premiere Pro CS4 where I recorded the audio separately and then matched it by ear to the clips. However, I forgot that the audio was in mono until later on, and now I would like to use it as stereo. According to this link, http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b1038518..., it isn't possible to convert mono to stereo once it is already used in the timeline. This setting must be changed in the project panel before the audio is added to the timeline.

I'm wondering if there is a way around this? It would take a very long time to have to re-sync all of the audio by ear. At first I thought I could change the clip setting in the project panel from 'mono' to 'use mono as stereo', and then replace the audio clip, but the option is grayed out. If anyone knows of a way to get around this, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Mono to stereo conversion while in timeline?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:48:53 am

I don't think there is a way around it - I can explain the 'why', just not a solution.

First the why - since it's being used on a mono track, modifying the clip would have the audio on a track it 'can't exist on'. It's impossible to have a mono clip on a stereo track and vice versa.

I think I have a way to take stereo clips and make them mono...but not vice versa (via FCP export since FCP doesn't have a stereo track.)

I'm curious if there is a solution.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Apr 26, 2011 at 1:18:55 pm

Do you need to integrate this material with other stereo material?

You could simply nest the material in a sequence with stereo masters and the out pu is stereo... Even on a master sequence where your master output is stereo, all you need is a mono track that your mono material can exist on... It will still come out in both master stereo channels.

Premiere Pro has a lot of ways to work around audio issues.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Robert Shank
on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:33:27 am

I got an easy solution I figured out all by my own...no help...just plain old common sense (and I am not well versed in sound). Okay, the work around is you right mouse click on the audio track file in Premiere Pro and select, "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition" or "Sound Booth". Now, you will notice on a single track that only a mono track will show (probably the left side or top). The right track is missing. Okay, before you doing anything, do a control-A to highlight the entire mono sound file. Now mute the mono track by clicking the "L" letter to the far right of the program (I am doing this is Adobe Audition). Now that the left side is muted, do a Control-V and the track will be posted in the right channel. HOWEVER, the decibels will need to be adjusted, because for whatever reason, a copy and paste does not paste the exact same decibels. In order to do this, you will need to raise the decibels...just eyeball it and match the left channel (there should be a grid so that you can eyeball exactly where the decibels should be). Now, you need to un-mute the "L". Finally, do a Control-S for save and the save file will automatically upload into your Premiere Project...replacing the old sound file instantly (meaning you don't have to drag and drop the newly created stereo track.

Return to posts index

Mike Bernard
on Oct 7, 2014 at 5:16:02 pm

Hey. I am chasing the same problem here - but with your 'paste' method isn't that just mono panned wide ? There isn't s true stereo relationship there is thereā€¦ like things couldn't move left to right.

Return to posts index

Enno Jacobsen
on Nov 4, 2015 at 1:48:14 am

Just picking this up where you guys left it. I ran into the same issues and found an effect in Premiere "Fill Right with Left" (or vice versa). Fixed it for me.

Return to posts index

Mateus Ribeiro
on Mar 19, 2016 at 7:26:38 pm

Hey guys, can I change the audio setup like in Final Cut Pro? I need to export my project as stereo, doesn't matter if it's actually mono, I just want to change the timeline properties, something like this:

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Mar 19, 2016 at 7:47:44 pm

Stereo output is the default when creating a sequence in PPro. Your FCP screengrab is for a 6 track sequence though.

You can't change the 'master' audio format of a sequence after creation in PPro but you can create a new sequence (choose 'tracks' tab in creation dialogue and set to 'multichannel - 6' to replicate your FCP seequence.

You can then copy and paste clips from another sequence.

Output mapping follows the settings in the 'track mixer' - e.g. you can send dialogue to 1&2 for full mix and to 5&6 for clean dialogue

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]