ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere pro - sequence to sequence editing avid style

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Lowden
Premiere pro - sequence to sequence editing avid style
on Apr 3, 2011 at 8:55:29 pm

Hello
I am sure this is not the first time this has been asked, but I can\'t find it anywhere in the manual. Can someone tell me how I can edit from one sequence to another sequence without the record sequence becoming nested - avid style editing. I can do it in fcp so i presume it is possible in premiere.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
Re: Premiere pro - sequence to sequence editing avid style
on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:21:20 am

If the sequences are in the same project, simply select the clips from the source sequence, then switch to the other sequence and paste. As in Avid, you need to make sure that the destination track on the timeline are selected before pasting. Also, remember that pasting occurs at the CTI's current location.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Christopher Lowden
on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:12:18 am

Many thanks for the very clear response.
I was hoping for something a little more precise, using the in and out points and track specification. My test shows that only highlighting the timeline elements and copy / paste works, which means I have to then cut off the excess media.
I have never understood why nested editing is so good. I would have thought that having the elements unnested would be, in general, much more logical and precise, both for the editor and the machine.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:07:24 pm

Nesting is useful where you want to apply an effect as a global, where applying the effect to each seperate element would not work well.

For example....

you build a multi-layer result in your edit...

then you want to Page turn out of that multi layer effect.

By nesting, the software sees those multi elements as a "single stream" and the page turn can be applied.... applying the page turn to each element with then effect wouldn't give the same result.

Yet you can still step into the nest to make content changes, which makes it superior to rendering (pre-baking a file)..

does that help?

Alex

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:16:36 pm

If you are talking about a "virtual KEM roll" when you are speaking of Avid style, then this feature is not available in Premiere Pro. For sure, make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish . More on how to give feedback: http://bit.ly/93d6NF

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Christopher Lowden
on Apr 5, 2011 at 8:24:35 pm

Many thanks for the advice. I have posted a feature request on the adobe site.

Return to posts index

Camille Reysset
on Jul 2, 2013 at 1:30:38 am

finally !!!
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cc/edit-sequences-in-the-sourc...

If somebody know how to do that in FCP7, please tell me. I try to find for years.

Return to posts index

Matt Galuszewski
on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:58:09 am

You can edit from sequence to sequence in FCP7 without nesting by (from my memory here) adding the COMMAND key modifier.

For example (again from memory) F9 was insert and F10 was overwrite. If you had a sequence in your source viewer and you pressed F9 to edit in to a new sequence you would get a nest of the source sequence. If you pressed COMMAND + F9 you would get the clips from the source sequence arranged depending on patching assignments.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]