ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How do I replace a pre-cut audio clip? quick advice needed!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Divinio
How do I replace a pre-cut audio clip? quick advice needed!
on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:03:02 pm

Hi everyone! I really need your help!

We've recorded tons of HD video of musical instruments. Audio was recorded with microphones as well.

While me friend was busy mastering the audio from the mics, I decided to not waste time and went on with video editing. So I chopped the video (with the audio) down, keeping in mind that audio would need to be replaced. I've done this several times in Vegas, so I thought Premiere Pro would do it easily. Alas, when I got the processed audio files from my friend - I couldn't find a way to replace the chopped up audio (from video) with the mic-audio!

I tried selecting the audio clips in the timeline and dragging the new audio file from the bin - but it didn't work!!

I've just started a new project and tried EXTRACTING the audio from the video THEN chopping, it, and THEN replacing.. and it worked!

But what do I do with my main project if I hadn't extracted the audio prior to chopping? Holy cow.. Don't tell me there's no way to do it?!! I've spent like 80 hours chopping the video down :((

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
Re: How do I replace a pre-cut audio clip? quick advice needed!
on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:48:25 pm

Hi Fred

As far as I can see it should work fine. Maybe you just can't see the audio in the timeline as it is mono and so goes to the very bottom of the timeline under your existing audio tracks? Try expanding the panel and seeing if the tracks are going in below the present tracks.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Ps new tutorial on this coming later next week I think

... because it's all about stories ...

Return to posts index

Fred Divinio
on Jan 15, 2011 at 1:55:12 pm

Hey Andrew, thanks for your response. Alas, it's not working as you described. I made a screenshot of what's going on for you to understand better.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9562/workspacef.jpg

See the MVI_8558.mov in the timeline? That's the video that I chopped up. Now, the 8558.wav in the Project Panel is the audio from the mics that we processed. It is synchronized with the audio from MVI_8558.mov. So, it needs to replace the MVI_8558.mov[A].

If I drag 8558.wav and drop it on the timeline, it just inserts a new file.

If I right-click on the current MVI_8558.mov[A] and choose "Replace from bin" it replaces the current audio with the 8558.wav alright, BUT!! The inserted 8558.wav starts from the beginning!! Not just the part that's chopped up! (see screenshot 2).

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2503/workspace2.jpg

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
on Jan 15, 2011 at 8:05:58 pm

OK, thanks for this. I think I'm starting to get what's going on.

I'm not sure quite what to do in this instance, but for future clips try putting the whole un-cut clip on to a new timeline and then before you do anything else nest that timeline in a new sequence and edit that sequence.

The issue you will have is that the waveform will not display. However, if you go through the original clip adding sequence markers where you want to make cuts those markers will show up in the nested sequence and you can then use them as guides to the editing you need to do.

Then, when you have the replacement audio you add it to the original sequence and the edited sequence should then respect your edits including the new soundtrack (or anything else you add in to the original un-cut sequence). All you would need to do is sync the audio up and turn the speaker off for the original audio and it should then have respected the edits and replaced the original audio.

I know it is a complex way of working, but it should work for all future clips. I am only sorry I can't help with the project as it now is :o(

Maybe someone else will have a brainwave?

All the best
Andrew

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jan 16, 2011 at 1:13:55 am

Could you not unlink the media of the offline audio file and then relink that clip to the online mastered version provided by your friend?

That should do it.

alex

Return to posts index

Andrew Devis
on Jan 16, 2011 at 4:19:26 pm

Hi Fred
Great idea from Alex, let us know how you get on.
Andrew

Return to posts index

Fred Divinio
on Jan 17, 2011 at 4:32:39 pm

Thanks guys, but I've already tried it. When the vid piece is linked to a new (huge) audio file, the audio starts at the very beginning. Sony Vegas is more intuitive in this manner. It would replace only the part that's chopped.

I guess I had to unlink the clips BEFORE I started chopping them.. Better start over again asap :(

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:54:57 pm

Hi Fred...

not sure we're talking about the same thing here....

in the Project Panel

1) right click you existing audio clip and choose "make offline"
2) in the dialog that pops up, choose "media files remain on disk"
3) now you will have a clip entry in your project panel that is not associated with the underlying source file on the disk.
4) Now right click that clip again and choose: link media
5) now navigate to the properly mixed audio file and select it.

Now you have the same clip attached to the better media...you should not have to change any of your edits...they should just be replaced with the better audio.

this is not the same as "unlink" in the sequence.

Does this help?

Alex

Return to posts index

Fred Divinio
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:08:40 pm

Alex,

got it. But I'm not sure what audio file you're referring to in step 1). If it's the extracted audio from the chopped video, then your method didn't work.

It generates the same result as if you were just replacing the current audio "from the bin". The mastered audio starts at 0 again :(

Return to posts index

Fred Divinio
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:15:03 pm

here's the screenshot.

the 8558.wav incorporates the whole mastered audiotrack

now, I'm trying to replace the SELECTED MVI_8558.MOV[A] with the 8558.wav file :(

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:37:04 pm

ok...

now the problem is that we have a mismatch of media type then...

your original is a video+audio

and what you are trying to swap in is audio only.

that's not gonna work.

You might try:

1) take your : SELECTED MVI_8558.MOV[A] and put it in it's own sequence
2) edit your: 8558.wav and edit in sync with that video clip (replacing the audio that's there)

3) now you can export that sequence as a new movie.

then you can use the relink as I suggested with the new movie file

does that make sense?

Alex

Return to posts index

Fred Divinio
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:47:24 pm

Alex, thanks, I've decided to start the project all over again. I should be able to do chop it up faster now.

As for the procedure, looks like the only way to properly do it is what I said in my first message. I hope this well help someone in the future:

1). FIRST you have to extract the audio from the video
2). ONLY AFTER THAT chop both up to your liking
3). Find the extracted audio in the Project panel
4). Right-click and choose Replace Footage
5). Locate your mastered/processed audio filed that has already been synced with the audio from video
6). Click Select - and there you go.

Return to posts index

Larry Andersen
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:01:43 am

I wonder if PluralEyes from singular might be helpful. I've used it in more simple applications - syncing HDSLR footage with free-running audio recording. It was great for that. Your issue is quite similar...

Return to posts index

Stephen Kennedy
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:15:13 am

I got it guys. Although it's a wee bit late, here is the solution:
Take your original unedited videoclips and import them into Adobe Soundbooth. Now import your mastered/sync audio and replace the otiginal audio. Save.
Open your video project and enjoy the newly mastered sound.

Note: if Soundbooth does not recognize the compression of your video files, you will have to rename/export them and then "replace footage" for your clips in Premier. Either way, this will work.

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
on Oct 7, 2015 at 6:03:55 pm

Hey, I realize this is an old post, but I was looking for a solution to this... And I found a very simple one.

If you have Quicktime 7, open your new audio and the original video file. Then select all of your audio and Copy it.

Then in the video file, hit Command-J and delete the audio track. Place the playhead at the very beginning and go to Edit>Add to Movie.

Playback to make sure your audio is in sync.

And then save. It will automatically update in your sequence.

Here is where I got the solution from.
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/replace-audio-in-quick-time-pro-7/

C.R.

Return to posts index

Mike Pindara
on Jan 27, 2016 at 4:10:20 pm

Now that we're in the year 2016, I've just learned there is a simple shortcut to replace audio with IN/OUTs in tact.

from the bin ALT+Shift Drag and drop ontop of the clip you're trying to replace.

enjoy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]