ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Windows 7 Premiere Pro CS4

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Weiner
Windows 7 Premiere Pro CS4
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:11:20 pm

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 on a Windows 7 Pro machine. I'm trying to digitize video from tape, but I'm wondering if there is any way to make it so that I will NOT digitize as .avi? Is this possible to switch formats? Also, why are avis so large?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Windows 7 Premiere Pro CS4
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:04:45 pm

Hi Mike,

While Premiere only supports AVI, programs like OnLocation will let you wrap to Mov or AVI. Wrapping here is key, since it does not actually make any changes to the original footage during transfer, and so the size is directly related to the original tape format. For example, an hour from a standard DV tape is always around 10 Gb.

To make them smaller, you would have reduce the quality from the originals through compression. This also is rarely handled in real time, since it takes a lot of processing.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Kristof Ermens
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:25:15 am

If you try to get less disk space by transcode your avi's into a smaller filesize-format, this is not the way to go either. You will get clips into your timeline that need rendering because your timeline settings are most probably not right.

By the way, Premiere only supports AVI on PC, on MAC it only supports MOV.

Return to posts index

Mike Weiner
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:25:33 pm

Ok, so it acts like Final Cut in that if you import a file other then the native file (i.e. -- MP4/FLV/etc. since Premiere supports so many), you need to render it out?

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:58:17 am

Mike, did CS4 run okay for you on Windows 7?

thx
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]