ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

MXF transcode

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter John
MXF transcode
on Dec 15, 2010 at 8:50:24 am

Trying to figure out what kind of can opener I need to import just one XDCAM clip in a .mov wrapper into PP CS4 without having to fork out $100 for a new program that I will never use again.

I have one clip of archival footage recorded and wrapped up in this way and I understand this is a common problem like zits. Thanks Adobe :-)

Anyway, so far I have figured out that:

1) I can view the file no problem with VLC player.

2) "Calibrated {Q} XD Decode" can probably do the job if I buy the program. There used to be a free trial (with a watermark) but that is no longer available.

3) If I can get in contact with whoever did this wrapping in the first place and ask them to upload a fresh copy of the file without the .mov wrapper then I can probably import the XDCAM clip straight into PP CS4 no problem using one of the presets in the import menu.

Before starting on such a wild goose chase I would like to be sure there is no plug in or other tool available that would enable me to transcode the native (MXF codec?) file in .mov wrapper to some other codec that may be more user friendly and if so what do I need to do this?

Suggestions most welcome.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
Re: MXF transcode
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:06:25 pm

Hi Peter,

Per #2) You can still download Calibrated{Q} XD Decode on our website - without a Software License it will operate in DEMO MODE where a product logo watermark is shown over the video.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/QXDDownload.asp

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Peter John
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:50:06 pm

Thanks Greg,

It is always good to have a fallback option if all else fails.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Dec 17, 2010 at 7:06:21 pm

By the way, it is Apple's fault (not Adobe's) you have an XDCAM file in a .mov wrapper. This happens to clips imported into FCP.

Return to posts index

Peter John
on Dec 18, 2010 at 12:19:54 pm

Lot to learn.

Thanks Apple and Adobe!

Fortunately there are others and I found a third party solution that enables these two giants to talk to each other - at least in terms of the problem I outlined above.

I also downloaded the trial version of the Calibrated {Q} program and it worked like a charm and if I understand right has the advantage of enabling the native format to be opened in Premiere Pro but, as I also wrote, I was not very enthusiastic about spending more than $100 on a program just to unsnarl one clip.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 23, 2010 at 12:35:27 pm

The answers listed above/below are all good. I will only add that Premiere Pro CS5 supports Apple/JVC re-wrapped XDCAM EX essence as .MOV files natively. If you're thinking about upgrading, then this might be a better choice than Calibrated.

Another thought is you could try to use AME CS4 to convert the footage to any other codec you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]