ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Dynamic link composition play backs in PP

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
vivek reddy
Dynamic link composition play backs in PP
on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:54:23 am

Hi ,
I have those playback problems regarding the dynamic link . I did use premier pro and after effects and got the AE comp into PP ,the playback is terrible ,I just added a color correction in AE to see how it works for playbacks in PP ,as I said it was terrible for such a small effect .Is there an alternative for good playbacks other than rendering in AE and importing to PP . I have win 7, core 2 duo 2.1Ghz ,4G ram ,1G ATI RADEON graphics card ,is this not sufficient for a color correction to playback properly !! The dynamic link is wonderful but am not able to use it effectively .Is there an alternative to do the above effectively ?

-Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Dynamic link composition play backs in PP
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:46:09 pm

Which version of Premiere Pro are you running?

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

vivek reddy
on Nov 25, 2010 at 2:42:09 am

Am using CS5 master collection and the video files are of AVCHD (.M2TS ) format.

Return to posts index

vivek reddy
on Nov 25, 2010 at 8:28:55 am

Am using CS5 master collection version 5.0.0 and the video files are of AVCHD format.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:27:06 pm

Hi Vivek,
Make sure that you are updated to Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.2). For information about updating to 5.0.2, please visit this link: http://bit.ly/akb9uR

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:15:43 pm

Hi Vivek,

I typically tell people that neither Mercury or Dynamic Link are magical (unfortunate actually) in that the software cannot do things that take massive amounts of computing power unless it can draw on massive amounts of computing power.

Your machine probably edits just fine, but Adobe has optimized to NVIDIA display cards, so your Radeon card isn't helping you in respect to Adobe's functioning at least...

Next we have to consider that AVCHD and DSLR footage are liklely second only to RED footage for decoode complexity. These formats challenge even monster machines with CUDA capable display cards when using multiple layers and effects.

Third...in this case, you've taken a complex video format...which runs well in Premiere Pro because the color encoding that PPro runs in... "YUV" (or more correctly, Y'CbCr) is what video formats are typically encoded as...and indeed so is AVCHD. The strain on the system comes in when you put the clip in AE. After Effects does not operate in "YUV", it operates in RGB. Now your very complex AVCHD clip needs not only to be decoded, but also converted to RGB...then applying whatever color correction you've applied in AE...then the dynamic linked comp needs to convert back to YUV in PPro when you're playing the timeline, not to mention that AE is running in the background to try to generate preview frames to serve to PPro, but both apps are likely trying to use the same GPU resources on a display card that is likley gasping to try to keep up.

All things considered, I'd say your machine is probably going to strain when using dynamic link for AE comps in PPro in general, so you'll want to use it in places where you can put up with the preview sluggishness for some other benefit. In this case, color correcting in AE and using a DL AE comp in PPro isn't really ideal from a technical standpoint anyway, and AVCHD is probably one of the more stressful formats you could use in that scenario on top of all of that.

Adobe has given us software for the last 5-7 years that is running out about 3-4 years ahead of hardware development. Anyone who doesn't believe me can find someone running CS3 or even CS2 on a big Windows 7 machine. It moves faster than you can think. The drawback of course is that most of the video formats we use now didn't exist when those applications came out and they only work with intermediate workflows with today's newest formats.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

vivek reddy
on Dec 1, 2010 at 2:36:00 am

Thank you very much for that info .

Return to posts index

vivek reddy
on Dec 1, 2010 at 4:39:38 am

And also is there a possibility that adobe can create a tool such that we could RAM preview in premier pro as we do in AE ,because instead of investing on good and expensive graphic cards which is not possible for many ,this would at least enable us to have a pretty good preview of the relation and sync between clips that are joined ,which is what editors want !! Hoping someone might come up with a plug-in that could do a RAM preview kinda thing in PP . Thank you very much for that info once again ,it saved me lots of time from searching all through the internet for a solution which never existed !

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:17:00 am

well...keep in mind that After Effects is working with very small time spans on a comp typically. Also, AE doesn't have to play back in "real time" at speed like Premiere Pro does...you wouldn't want your audio to be playing back as dynamically on a PPro timeline as the framerate sloshes around in an After Effects preview...

I don't know if editors really consider how many frames constitutes a meaningful "preview" in AE vs how many frames you'd need to have in RAM to be as useful in PPro...

You'd need another tower beside your workstation filled with RAM...and liquid nitrogen.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

vivek reddy
on Dec 1, 2010 at 3:35:55 pm

Oh yeah ,that was right !! Thanks for all the info you gave me .

Return to posts index

Trev Chee
on Mar 11, 2011 at 1:28:03 am

I want to add 3D text with trapcode shine effect as well as a Boris cinematice filter to my movie that was edited in Premiere. Whats the best way to do this?

Import the PP project into AE? or Render the movie in PP then import the video file into AE? What do I need to know about resolution settings in composition settings in AE so that the imported video will look correct?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]