ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Rendering a clip dynamically linked to AE in Premiere?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
Rendering a clip dynamically linked to AE in Premiere?
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:41:19 am

Hi there.

I am using Dynamic Link for the first time between Premiere Pro and After Effects CS4. I shot in 24pf, and I want to remove the pulldown from this footage in order to make it real 24p. I did this after choosing the option 'replace with After Effects composition' in Premiere Pro. The resulting change would not show up in the Premiere Pro timeline, so I rendered my workspace. Now the clip does not show up at all. I have never removed pulldown before, and I want to see how much it really improves the look of my footage. I am wondering why after rendering in the timeline the clip no longer shows up? Thanks for any help.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: ndering a clip dynamically linked to AE in Premiere?
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:44:42 am

What sort of footage is it? 24psf doesn't necessarily have a pulldown...

It depends what camcorder or recorder you recorded on.

Also, what sort of sequence are you editing on? If you were originally editing with pulldown (60I for instance), the sequence won't be the ideal setup any longer...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:48:57 am

Hi Tim,

I see what you're saying. The footage came from a Canon HV30, which, from my understanding, does something like record in 24p, but then puts it into a '60i wrapper', which means pulldown removal is needed. Correct me if I'm wrong. I get most of my info from HV20.com, which is a pretty valuable resource for my camera.

Yes, I am editing in a 60i timeline, with both the 24pf footage and 60i slow-mo converted footage, with the intent of removing pulldown from the 24pf footage, and deinterlacing/converting to slow-mo all the 60i footage in AE, and then rendering out my final project from there.

I was just testing out Dynamic Link and seeing if the pulldown removal script I'm using in AE really worked on my footage, and I couldn't view it in AE because it won't render the whole clip. I think what you're saying is that the converted footage is no longer 60i after my process within AE, and therefore will not show up/play correctly in the 60i Premiere Pro timeline?

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 17, 2010 at 1:54:21 pm

While I'm not sure if this is exactly your problem with seeing the footage, you ARE taking footage with pulldown...removing the pulldown...and then putting it back on the same timeline...

...where the settings, if they are (I assume) 60i, need to reintroduce a pulldown in order to play it back.

You need to either remove the pulldown from everything, or nothing or you'll have continual issues.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jake Huddleston
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:40:31 pm

Ok, I'm just beginning to learn about pulldown so the dynamics of it I still don't quite understand. So after removing pulldown from the 24pf footage, it is now true 24p, but playing on a 60i timeline, and that doesn't work...(?) My main issue is trying to find a workflow that works with the footage I have and the processes I need to do.

I don't necessarily have to see my pulldown changes in Premiere. It was just the most convenient. In the end, my final project will be dynamically linked to AE, where I will remove pulldown on 24pf footage, deinterlace/convert 60i footage to 24p slow-mo, change the comp settings to 24p, and then export my final project. As far as I know, this is how I would get a 24p export after editing in a 60i timeline in Premiere.

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:15:23 pm

Well...playing 24fps progressive on a 60i timeline is, by definition, adding pulldown...that's what pulldown is. You are taking 24 frames and turning them into 60 fields every second.

If your 24p frames are numbered: 1,2,3,4,5...

Your 60i Frames (field/field) would be: (1,1) (2,2) (2,3) (3,4) (4,4), etc...

When you remove a pulldown, you usually don't want to do AFTER editing as what happens if you want frame 3 to be the first or last frame in a cut? Do you cut on the (2,3) split frame or the (3,4) split frame? Then, depending on how you've cut the piece, how will the software that removes the pulldown be able to figure out that you wanted frame 3 but not the single field of frame 2...or 4? Or, how does it create a frame from the single filed of frame 3 if you cut it short?

Editing in 60i and planning to remove pulldown from the edited master clip is really not a smooth road.

Most of the time you want the edit software to remove the pulldown immediately. I'm not familiar with the specifics of every small camcorder out there, and it's been some time since I used HDV format material, but I'd explore ways to remove the pulldown from the material before you edit, and then edit on a 24p HDV sequence. The "Interpret Footage" menu (right click on a clip in the bin-Modify) used to have a "Remove DV pulldown" check box...not sure about HDV.

As you can see however, dynamic linking a clip on your 60i sequence to AE to remove the pulldown and then using the dynamic linked comp in your timeline is really circular. 24p footage placed in a 60i stream is what you have in your footage...and you're undoing that and then re-doing it by putting the pulldown-removed 24p clip back on a 60i sequence.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]