ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mac guy looking for some windows advice

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Lyons
Mac guy looking for some windows advice
on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:02:31 pm

I am looking for some advice on delivering some SD content to a client who is an all windows shop using CS4. There are several hours of Beta SP footage that the client wants to be able to reference, and possibly edit in house for web content, not broadcast.
As a mac guy, my first choice in days gone by would have been to capture the footage uncompressed. As codecs got better capturing to DVCPRO50 was generally an acceptable compromise, and now of late Prores seems to be the goto codec.
All of this works fine in the Mac world, but what about you windows folks? I know that DVCPRO50 doesn't work well unless the codec comes with the app you are using, or you buy a decoder from someone like CalibratedQ. Anyone in the Windows world using Prores with Premiere Pro or Vegas? If not, what format do you capture to?

Thanks so much for some insight!

jason

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
Re: Mac guy looking for some windows advice
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:17:49 pm

No ProRes in Windows-land, Apple is keeping that one under lock-and-key. (Since they don't have much else left of their former crown-jewels in terms of video editing...)

But seriously, uncompressed codec for Apple/Windows is of course the Animation Quicktime... but ususally I go with the Avid lossless/uncompressed as they are available for both platforms.

It really depends what application the Windows platform is using. There are many lossless codecs for Windows.

Return to posts index

Paul Del Vecchio
on Sep 22, 2010 at 1:25:26 am

Or you may have to purchase Cineform NeoScene. That's probably the closest you'll get to something like ProRes (aside from Avid codecs).

Paul Del Vecchio - Director
http://www.triple-e-productions.net
http://www.pauldv.net

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:01:22 pm

I have yet to try it on CS5, but have your guy download Prores for Windows.

Do a quick test to make sure all is working on his end.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:16:09 pm

Thanks for all the input. More specifically Im curious if anyone out there is using Premiere or Vegas to capture Analog SD (such as Beta SP) sources on the Windows side? If so what is the go to codec for SD analog digitization in Windows land? My options on the Mac side using an AJA I/O are DV, DVCPRO50, 8-bit UC, 10-bit UC, IMX-50, and of course several flavors of Prores, which I am aware that there is support for Prores on the Win side but haven't heard much good news from users, at least early on with v1.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 23, 2010 at 12:05:51 am

"I know that DVCPRO50 doesn't work well unless the codec comes with the app you are using"

DVCPro50 works fine... it just depends on whoes CODEC you use. Apple's (QT) Pro50 CODEC on Windows is terrible... Matrox had a much better implementation, but it's not available anymore. If you have a P2 camera somewhere, you can dub from your Beta deck to your P2 camera in DVCPro50 4:2:2 and then copy the contents of that card to a hard drive. Your client should be able to take it from there.

I haven't captured from an analog deck in about 3 years... but when I need to capture from live sources I use Blackmagic 8/10 bit Uncomresssed and Mjpeg in PP CS4 and CS5. BM CODECS always work well for me.

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]