ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

switching from old computer and cs4 to new one with cs5

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim McCarthy
switching from old computer and cs4 to new one with cs5
on Aug 27, 2010 at 8:51:02 pm

I am a about to switch from an old machine with cs4 to a new one with cs5. What would be the best way of moving what I need from the old to the new? Specifically, I have one project for which all my footage is on a separate external drive. Will it work if I just copy the whole project folder onto that drive and then move it to the new one? Or is there some other more efficient process to do this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: switching from old computer and cs4 to new one with cs5
on Aug 28, 2010 at 9:33:29 am

It has always been wise to finish a project in the version of Premiere in which it was started. Install Premiere CS4 on your new PC first, then CS5, start new projects in CS5, finish old ones with CS4.

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
on Aug 28, 2010 at 10:50:38 am

Hi,

finish all your working projects in CS4 (Premiere cs4 4.2 is still coming with installation of CS5 production premium as extra gift for 32 bit users). You can have both installed on your machine.

Regarding old projects - just make sure that your external drive is same letter on new computer, or copy files from your external drive to internal with same drive letter (e: , f: ...etc...)

Return to posts index

andy prada
on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45:49 am

Like you I had several legacy projects left over from CS4

Apart from obvious 64bit third party software upgrades needed to work with CS5 I found the transition pretty seamless. Only Boris Graffiti has not been upgraded to 64bit which is a shame as I made considerable use of it.

I got round the bloating problem before it ever occurred - by starting a new project with a CS5 suffix and importing all the sequences into Premiere. I also made sure that all the software upgrades worked as they should before finally disregarding my CS4 cuts.

There are good reasons for upgrading your projects, not simply waiting to finish them on CS4. The first is that you can take advantage of CUDA enabled MPE (presuming you have a compatible card) for GFX acceleration. Even in non MPE mode it is significantly faster and really does make a fantastic difference.

Secondly - CS4 is a complete dogs dinner in terms of resource usage and it was an absolute pleasure to leave it behind for a proper integrated 64bit architecture.

Thirdly, you can visit the Cow forum anytime now and not feel you're being left behind as more and more issues deal with CS5. (not crucial I admit.)

The downside is that you have to reinvest in upgraded software in one hit for plug-ins. Ce la vie!

My conclusions: few issues if any in the move up to CS5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]