ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Mute sound in source window?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Bauer
Mute sound in source window?
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:05:52 pm

Hello again. I'm working on a new project. My assets consist mostly of 15-minute clips with audio and video. I'm not going to use much of the original audio, since I'm essentially making a music video with some sound bites. When I play the clips in the source window to chop them up, I don't want to hear the sound. Is it possible to mute the audio? I want to listen to the music so I can select the proper clips. I know I can just play the song on my mp3 player and turn off the sound on my computer completely, but I was wondering if there is an alternative within Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Return to posts index

Danny Winn
Re: Mute sound in source window?
on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:09:56 am

What you should have done is only capture the video, You can select to capture just video and not audio, but since you didn't do that your only option is to mute your speakers and play the real audio seperatly.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Vince Becquiot
on Jun 23, 2010 at 3:54:33 am

A quick and easy fix to mute "permanently". Select all your clips and go to Clip > Audio options, and change the gain to - 40.

That cannot be changed back for clips that currently are in the timeline.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Sue Bauer
on Jun 23, 2010 at 4:17:13 am

Beauty! Thanks, Vince. That works wonderfully. I love this forum already.

Return to posts index

Kris Cook
on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:53:24 am

Vince you Don, now I can play my own music whilst previewing and slicing!

Return to posts index

Michele Martinelli
on Jan 19, 2014 at 10:55:40 pm

Vince you are the boss! thanks a lot i have been struggling with this so long

Return to posts index

Jim Horn
All clips and n timeline have been muted
on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:26:29 am

Well I've spent hours trying to figure this out. All my audio clips went mute in the timeline. If I double click an audio file it pos up in the source box and the sound is perfect.so the problem appears to be in the timeline itself. I've spent several hours trying to figure out how to get the clips umited.

Return to posts index

Alex Serban
on Sep 3, 2012 at 7:25:25 pm

Hi Sue, you can just go to Preferences-Audio and uncheck the Preview Audio while Scrubbing box. EZ

Return to posts index

Stuart Griese
on Jul 23, 2014 at 6:48:47 am

Im doing something similar and found that you can go into the Project window, select all your clips, right click, Modify > Audio Channels. Then you change the number of tracks to 0. This makes it so there's no audio in the source or preview.

Return to posts index

Liam White
on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:47:53 pm

I edit quite a few sizzle reels and while this isn't a problem when working with most professional cameras, occasionally I'll get DLSR footage which always has audio.

Probably the simplest solution is just to purchase Audio Hijack (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11067/audio-hijack-pro) or Hear (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27310/hear). Both programs can shut off a specific program's audio and only cost $32.00 or $19.95 respectively. Then you can just listen to the song your using (or anything else) in iTunes, Spotify or Songza.

Return to posts index

Daniel Satari
on Jan 28, 2017 at 3:55:37 pm

If Vince is the Don, you're the man, ...man!!
I love this tip of unchecking the channels. Thank You!

Return to posts index

Chris Cella
on Jun 4, 2015 at 2:46:14 am

I know this is really late to your post, but the better way to do this is to select all the clips in your bin, right click, modify > audio channels, then put both the left and right monitors to "NONE". You can always change it later without having to mess with levels.

Return to posts index

Jay Leonard
on Aug 7, 2015 at 11:16:01 pm

Easy fix. This video will show you how to mute audio scrubbing in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.

Return to posts index

jonathan lovell-knight
on Nov 1, 2015 at 6:32:50 am

I'm using windows 10 and thankfully you can just go to open volume mixer and bring down premier pro only..

Return to posts index

Matthew Mammola
on Jun 12, 2016 at 2:19:21 pm

Wow I never knew about the program-specific controls in volume mixer - that's so great!

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Oct 14, 2016 at 6:42:19 pm

I can't believe this simple little tool hasn't been implemented in Premiere? All we need is a mute button on the source/viewer window... so simple. Put one right next to the 'frame-grab' button - both of about equal importance.

I'm editing a documentary with many hours at the moment, a lot of surfing footage too, and when i'm not going through interviews or clips that have sound i'm interested in, i'd love to listen to music whilst I trim my clips...

Seems like a pretty huge oversight on Premiere's behalf from what I can see...

And as for talk of whether a professional shoot has audio on its b-roll or not is just irrelevant. I've edited projects in the commercial world that have audio on the b-roll. And when it comes to documentary, frankly I think you'd be silly to turn your audio off on your camera because you're saying to yourself 'right, now i'm shooting b-roll - so audio doesn't count'. In documentary you never know what you're going to end up using, or what might end up being that magic moment, and sometimes sound-bytes captured through crappy in-camera mics can produce something usable, if not important for your film.

Anyway, rant over... sorry - obviously I just can't listen to tunes and it's bugging me now...

The Road to Patagonia - A two year surfing odyssey - from the top of the world to the bottom

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 17, 2016 at 6:08:17 pm

Hi Matt,

Being able to mute audio in the Source Monitor is a great request and would make for a nice feature. Please add your request for it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Request made are reviewed by the team and prioritized accordingly. Meaning, the more people that ask for any particular feature, the more likely you'll see it in a future release.

Look forward to seeing your "The Road to Patagonia" project!

All the best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Matt Hannon
on Oct 17, 2016 at 7:16:55 pm

Thanks for the link Peter - will do.

The Road to Patagonia - A two year surfing odyssey - from the top of the world to the bottom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]