ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Progressive or Interlaced output

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Wilsons
Progressive or Interlaced output
on Apr 27, 2010 at 2:14:47 am

Hi,

There is an issue I can't understand. I have progressive footage from my digital still camera and after finishing my edits now I am going to export it to encore to create the DVDs. As I know it, I have 2 options.

1. From premiere CS4 direct linking to encore with transcoding the files in Encore. By this way, I guess the resulting DVD will be upper field interlaced within the Encore.

2. Or like I used to do it, I can export it as progressive mpeg-2 .m2v file. Then import these files to a new project in Encore. This way, the files won't be untranscoded in Encore. So the result will be a progressive DVD I guess.

Currently, the resulting DVD will be watched on a regular CRT TV with a regular DVD player, so will there be much quality difference between a progressive or interlaced DVD?

I read somewhere that if there is a fast movement in the footage, creating a interlaced DVD will create a better result, is this correct?

If I create a progressive DVD, then TV does the interlacing task, right?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeff Brown
Re: Progressive or Interlaced output
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:22:00 pm

You have progressive footage to start with, so you cannot "add" interlacing*. Treat the whole project as progressive, including the DVD encode. Technically, the resulting DVD will be displayed on a CRT as PsF: Progressive-segmented-frame, which is another way of saying both fields display one progressive frame.
LCD and plasma TVs vary in how they display interlaced: some show true interlaced, some process everything to 60P (or 50P).

*technically, you can double the source frame rate and interlace the result, but your clips will be 1/2 as long.

Clear as mud?

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Jason Wilsons
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:51:21 am

Thanks for the information. Then what happens if I direct link to encore. I have seen that the project opens as "upper field" progressive as default in Encore and I can't change it.

Should I continue to do same as I told in original post. Like exporting as progressive in Premiere, then imporing it to a new project in Encore?

Return to posts index

slobodan milivojevic
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:26:26 am

Hi!
First, make one custom sequence in Premiere, which will be
Progressive.All default sequences are interlace, and this is
Making a big problem to progressive workflow in Premiere and Media Encoder.
With custom made progressive sequence, you linked project in
Encore will be progressive, too...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]