ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 7 XP mode

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie Davies
Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 7 XP mode
on Mar 25, 2010 at 5:51:36 pm

I have recently installed CS3 on a new computer, 4GB RAM, Intel core i5 CPU 2.27 GHz processor and 500gb HD. I have upgraded from Windows 7 premium to Windows 7 Professional and am trying to run CS3 in the XP mode.

While it recognizes all my projects and eventually opens them, the picture quality on both monitors is all choppy and seems to be dropping frames. It also operates incredibly slowly - all the pek files are being recreated (there is obviously no wave form on sound) and I get 'not responding' constantly so that I have to eventually force the program to shut down.

I thought the whole idea of XP mode was to enable programmes like CS3 to be run. My previous computer running on XP Pro with only 1GB ram worked perfectly with CS3. I gather that XP mode cannot read the graphics card installed on the computer, but surely Microsoft shouldn't be indicating that this version will work with previous XP programs if it can't cope.

Please can anyone tell me if they have had success with running CS3 either on Windows 7 premium 32 bit or in Windows XP mode. I have spent days searching all the forums but have not yet found the solution. I am beginning to feel that my new machine will be redundant.

Thank you.

Julie

Return to posts index

Nathan Hall
Re: Premiere Pro CS3 on Windows 7 XP mode
on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:37:03 am

Does cs3 not work in windows 7? Why are you using xp mode? I have cs4 working on windows 7 64 bit flawlessly.

http://www.anchormedistudio.com

Return to posts index

Julie Davies
on Mar 26, 2010 at 8:43:50 am

Unfortunately my CS3 does not work properly. I had originally installed it on the Windows 7 premium that came with my computer but everytime I opened the program I got endless Adobe messages saying it's encountered an error and will have to close down. So having read online that installing xp mode might be the way to go I tried that but this doesn't seem to work any better and yet I have a perfect working copy on an older and less powerful machine. I have only got a 32 bit OS so maybe that's the cause, but considering CS3 is a 32 bit program it shouldn't be.

Glad to hear that your program works, I shall have to keep troubleshooting.

Thanks for replying.

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Mar 26, 2010 at 4:58:47 pm

Before I upgraded to CS4 I was running CS3 on 7 home premium 32 with no problems, you ought to post your system specs,

Return to posts index

Julie Davies
on Mar 26, 2010 at 6:39:40 pm

Thanks for the encouraging response. My computer specs are:

Intel Core i5 CPU M430 2.27GHz
Nvidia Geforce GT 330M GDDR3 1GB
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 500GB

Since I couldn't make any progress with Windows 7 Premium, I upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and the XP mode, but whilst this at least lets me do some work it's very slow and unstable and the video playback on both source and program monitor is incredibly choppy which makes me think it can't read my graphics card. As one final attempt I'll try and load in Win 7 Pro rather than the XP mode. Any other thoughts or advice very welcome.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Mar 26, 2010 at 9:47:44 pm

Are you running on a laptop with a single harddrive?

Return to posts index

Julie Davies
on Mar 27, 2010 at 8:13:40 am

I'm running on a laptop but with 2 hard drives. I'm only using the C drive at present. I also have three external hard drives to carry all my media which has worked fine on my previous laptop.

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Mar 27, 2010 at 11:40:25 am

[Julie Davies] "I'm running on a laptop but with 2 hard drives. I'm only using the C drive at present."
If you have a second internal hard drive(maybe 7200rpm) try moving your source footage to there, you never mentioned what kind of footage you are trying to edit, if DV there should be no problems, also HDV, unless multiple streams(over 2), AVCHD(h264/mp4) is a cpu choker, with a laptop with 2 drives I found the best combination is to use the c drive for the OS and Apps the second drive for media cache, preview files, still images, audio clips, etc, and an external esata drive for source footage(capture footage/audio)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]