ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Crashing gets old

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Tokach
Crashing gets old
on Mar 21, 2010 at 3:37:55 pm

Why is it that Adobe can't seem to fix autosave features. When autosave catches me in the middle of an edit or render it likes to crash. Are they completely oblivious to this error in the program? It isn't my system or my ram, it is just the inadequacies of the software...

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Crashing gets old
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:03:29 pm

Ross,

There are so many systems and configurations around, submit a bug report and hope it makes it the next release. Never seen a crash due to autosave.

On an "edit only" system, you should rarely see crashes in fact, if ever. Ideally, you would only have the Adobe suite and absolutely needed apps installed, anything beyond that will make the system more unstable.

Try removing obvious stuff like antiviruses or spyware removers that may interfere with file access and see if that helps. Also, right click > Properties on the Premiere icon and set the program to run as administrator.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Ross Tokach
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:12:51 pm

My maya, avid, massive and every other program runs stable. I shut off User account controls on windows. I guess I am working a lot with the red lately... That thing is a pig of a camera, the workflow is nice, however even with a 1k proxy it loves to kill labs. I am pretty sure my issue is the newness of the technology behind redcam and Adobe.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:28:57 pm

I've only worked on one small project which included Red, so I can't tell you if that's what's causing it. Avid (Media Composer ?) is very solid, can't disagree here, but more stability comes with a price :-)

It also requires that you pretty much purchase a tailored machine to work with it, so testing is bit easier for them...

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Ross Tokach
on Mar 21, 2010 at 5:43:42 pm

Yeah, my avid ect, runs rock solid, but I have a project I picked up in the middle and they began on premiere. I prob could have started over quicker. I love adobe and its products, I just feel like they are trying to push the ram envelope a little too much. They should try spec'n the programming to harness the bottlenecks that are created at the drives. I am pretty sure most of the issues are because of bottlenecking from the external G-raid.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 22, 2010 at 3:27:56 am

[Ross Tokach] "I love adobe and its products, I just feel like they are trying to push the ram envelope a little too much."

In my opinion, Adobe's software is usually ideally suited for system capabilities about 8 months hence... :-)

Seriously though...RED material is certainly hefty to handle, but RAM is definitely helpful. Are you on a 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Auto save timing and priority continues to be absurdly poorly implemented in Premiere Pro...stopping playback (or anything else) to auto save is ridiculous, but I've never crashed during its occurence.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Nathan Hall
on Mar 22, 2010 at 5:22:46 pm

Why don't you turn the auto save function off? On mac it's ... preferences > auto save > uncheck auto save.

http://www.anchormedistudio.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:06:30 pm

Turning auto-save off is always an option.

I for one, don't trust myself not to get tied up in what I'm doing and forget to manual save...

The process should simply not interrupt normal operations. It's not something that Adobe hasn't heard.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]