ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Simple problem - moving clips across the timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Clotz
Simple problem - moving clips across the timeline
on Mar 2, 2010 at 1:43:53 pm

I've got a really basic problem here. It's something that has literally been bugging me for years, because it can often cause me to waste minutes of time doing something that I feel should be possible in seconds.

Sometimes, I want to move a clip to a different section of my timeline. Often the clip is very small. So, In order to actually grab the clip with my mouse, I will need to be zoomed in pretty close. So, I grab the clip, and then I drag it to the edge of the timeline, and then sometimes, the timeline will begin to scroll in that direction (which is what I want), and sometimes it wont. I have never been able to figure out how exactly to get it to scroll when I drag a clip to the edge.

Now, when it does scroll, that works fine for moving a clip a little distance, but what should I do when I need to move a clip say, from the very end of my sequence to the middle or beginning? If I drag it and let it scroll the whole way, it will literally take forever. Cut and paste seems like the obvious solution, but I can't seem to figure out how to tell premiere which track I want to paste into, and so it usually ends up pasting right over my existing footage!

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
Re: Simple problem - moving clips across the timeline
on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:00:52 pm

Premiere will paste to the highlighted track (click on track label to the left of the track to turn it light gray). If there are multiple tracks cut or copied, the bottom layer will paste to the highlighted track, and the other tracks will stack above in their original order.

Return to posts index

Bill Clotz
on Mar 2, 2010 at 2:04:12 pm

Thanks for the quick answer. I noticed it was possible to highlight tracks, but as more than one can be highlighted at a time, I never really noticed a pattern as to where something gets pasted to. I'll try it out while making sure only one track is highlighted.

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Mar 3, 2010 at 6:00:23 am

You can also choose "Paste Insert" instead of "Paste" and that will ripple insert your footage at the new time instead of overlaying it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]