ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

no Kodak Zi8 native footage in CS4 timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Summers
no Kodak Zi8 native footage in CS4 timeline?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 8:10:26 am

Anybody else out there frustrated that Premiere CS4 can't handle the footage from this little pocket cam, especially when the bundled Arcsoft software has no problem with it?

No matter what timeline I use, including the XDCAM EX one that Dave Helmley suggests gives you a smooth framerate, I get the equivalent playback speed of a convenience store security cam. I understand it's tough to keep up with every camera & codec combination, especially little pocket cams, but it's a bitter pill to swallow when I'm usually using my machine to edit AVCHD clips from a HMC150 and I have to run proxies for this little FLIP competitor. It's especially tough as the first 3-4 seconds usually run buttery smooth. It's so close!

Return to posts index

Matt Valentine
Re: no Kodak Zi8 native footage in CS4 timeline?
on Nov 16, 2009 at 12:43:05 am

Maybe this will help?
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/davtechtable/using-the-flip-hd-and-other-pocket-u...

Return to posts index

Ryan Summers
on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:58:39 pm

Thanks. Dave mentions that you get a real nice playback speed with Zi8 footage in an XDCAM EX timeline but I don't get anything close after the first few seconds of playback. I'd assume my machine is underpowered for the task, except for the fact that the software bundled with the camera (Arcsoft Impressions)plays the footage back with no issue. There must be some optimizations that Adobe needs to do to get playback up and running.

Return to posts index

Clover Carroll
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:50:11 am

Just bought the kodak zi8. Have taken several samples of video in different resolution. I edit with Premiere Pro Cs4. I edit HD all the time with other cameras, but when I bring in a 1080, 720 (60) and 720 MOV clip my source monitor doesnt seem to be able to handle it. I know its HD, but I edit in 1080 HD all the time. I even converted one of the MOV files to and AVI file to see if it was a compatability issue. Only after I render the clip am I able to see it correctly. This doesn't help me as I must view the HD clip in the source monitor to create in and out marks before I render. I have viewed the video "Using the Flip HD and Other Pocket USB Cameras With Premiere Pro" but not tried those settings yet, but it looks like it wont help. I am having the same issue you have/had. The MediaImpressions software that comes with the zi8 plays the clips back perfectly, but the source monitor of PPro wont. I cant render every clip just to edit it. I sent one of my clips to another videographer with cs4 and he had no issue. I am thinking it might be a codec issue. I downloaded ffdshow media encoder and have used it many times but i think the mov/zi8 is not happy with it. Any advise?
codec issue? 1http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=53819

Clover

Return to posts index

Clover Carroll
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:26:14 pm

Ok so I tried all the settings mention in the adobe TV video, but it does not work. The issue is the source monitor will not play the clip (lagging) before I even drag it into a custom created sequence for the exact specs for the zi8. I have downloaded the latest update for cs4 as of 6/16/10 with no change. mediaImpressions will view the clip just fine but not Premiere Pro.There is a small difference between the 1080 and 720 clips. Pro almost can play the 720p clip but not well. It appears that Adobe is behind on this one or Kodak created a big mess. Either way I think I am going to return my zi8...bummer too I liked the idea of a small HD camera. If you would like to see the thread on the Adobe forum search for: Re: 1080p/720p HD .MOV files from Kodak Zi8 lagging in CS4.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]