ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Copy past from Premiere to AE

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Rucci
Copy past from Premiere to AE
on Aug 17, 2009 at 2:45:42 pm

Hi. When I copy and paste clips from Premiere to After Effects, my Premiere dissolves are not translating into AE transparency keyframes. There are no transparency keyframes in AE, just the 2 overlapping clips. Anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Core Microsystems PC
Axio LE
Dual quad core Xeon
20GB RAM
NVidia GEForce 8800
Win Vista Ultimate 64bit
Adobe Creative Suite CS4
Matrox Utilties 4.0.0.343

Scott Rucci
Rucci Productions
ruccipro.com

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
Re: Copy past from Premiere to AE
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:59:08 am

Just tested it and you're right there is a bug there.

work around. Add a single opacity keyframe and the copy paste will bring in the cross fade points too.

I use the Replace with After Effects comp and that seems to work with cross dissolve, haven't used the CS3 workflow since getting CS4 - I'll file a bug report.

- JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index

Scott Rucci
on Aug 18, 2009 at 1:15:52 pm

Thanks for your help, the workaround works. This brought up a couple of other issues if you have a minute.

When I pasted the Premiere clips into AE it created individual comps for each clip then put the comps into my existing comp (it precomped every clip). I thought when I'd done this in the past it just brought over the footage, without making a bunch of precomps. Do you know what's going on there?

Also you alluded to only using the CS4 workflow now and not copying and pasting as in CS3. I don't find that to work very well for me. It's great the first time, I do a dynamic link>new after effects comp and it moves my timeline over. But then if I make adjustments in Premiere (it's much better suited to timing and audio work), copying and pasting seems to be the only practical way to add those changes back into the AE comp. I don't want to import the Premiere sequence into after effects because I'm working on individual layers. Is there a more efficient work flow that what I'm doing?

Thanks again.

Scott Rucci
Rucci Productions
ruccipro.com

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:03:42 pm

I only do my AE work once I've finished my edit. I make a duplicate timeline of my edit and add _wAE on the end of the seq name. I use this seq timeline to do my AE replacing so the original maintains the original clips and I can go backwards if I really need to.

With the _AE seq:
Select the clip/s you want (and would paste into AE),
Go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Replace with AE comp.

It opens AE for you, asks you save the AE project name and puts the edited material into a comp/or adds it immediately to an AE project you already have open.

The clip/s that were in PPro have now been replaced with the AE Comp.

If you have cross fades involved I'd use them on another layer so the fade goes over the top of the clip/s it crosses. That way the in/out points are also including the handles of the fades that will come over to AE. (Clips side by side don't replace with transition handles against shots not part of the AE replacement).

It's a shot at a time workflow. Pretty much exactly what you would do with copy and paste but faster and more automated.

- JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index

Scott Rucci
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:21:14 pm

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. Hope they fix the dissolve bug.

Scott Rucci
Rucci Productions
ruccipro.com

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:42:21 pm

Apparently they did not fix it. At least not in CS5 (v5.0.2). Very disappointing. I was so looking forward to that workflow and couldn't believe that a cross-dissolve, which is the most common transition next to a cut, wouldn't translate over to AE. Also wondering why they didn't fix it in CS5.

Return to posts index

Joe Bell
on May 9, 2013 at 1:38:06 pm

Maybe it's not a bug. Still it's the case in CS6.

I'm currently embroiled with wanting to apply AE process to my Premier Sequence (specifically Remove Grain and Color Finesse) and want to keep my cross fades from Premier. As the cross fades are not translating, I'm trying to figure out a quick way to apply the cross fade in AE, but can't work out anything fast that.

So I guess my question is, how can a crossfade of predetermined duration be quickly applied in AE?

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on May 9, 2013 at 4:01:23 pm

[Joe Bell] "I'm currently embroiled with wanting to apply AE process to my Premier Sequence"

Here are a few options:

• Bring the clip into After Effects using a Dynamic Link to the Premiere project instead of using copy/paste; or

• In After Effects, instead of placing two clips end-to-end with a cross-fade effect, place the clips on different tracks one above the other, overlap the cross-fade area, and apply opacity keyframes to the ends of each clip; or

• Apply the desired effects in AE first, then bring the clips into your Premiere Project using a Dynamic Link to the AE composition; export from Premiere.

• Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
    on May 9, 2013 at 4:04:35 pm

Type "fade" in your Effects & Presets panel search field and you'll see some presets you can use. One I like is the "Fade In+Out - frames", which allows you to set the number of frames for the fade and it will automatically adjust the fades if you change the in or out points because it's expression based. Harry Frank's Auto Fade preset is really nice because it uses markers on the layer to set the fade duration. This might work better for you because you can hold Shift to snap to the layer's in/out points and tap the asterisk "*" key to add markers.

HTH

-E

eawmedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]