ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Importer Generic Errror

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Boknecht
Importer Generic Errror
on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:31:58 pm

I'm getting an Importer Generic Error every time I try to pull XDcam footage into a project. It doesn't matter if it's new footage or footage from a previous project that worked fine before. I recently reinstalled Encore and suspect this might be part of the problem?

Any ideas on a quick fix short of reinstalling PPro?

Tim Boknecht
Promo Writer/Producer
KAKE-TV

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
Re: Importer Generic Errror
on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:15:00 pm

Are you on CS4? My guess is that a reinstall won't fix your problem. Try:
1) Importing through the Media Browser
2) Deselecting the two XML checkboxes in preferences>media

I'm thinking that PPro may be choking on the metadata, not the essence file.

Return to posts index

Tim Boknecht
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:36:56 pm

Yeah, I'm on CS4. I tried the import with the XMP boxes unchecked, but get the same error window "The importer reported a generic error."

I've always used the Media Browser to import and never had a problem before reinstalling Encore.

Any other ideas?

Tim Boknecht
Promo Writer/Producer
KAKE-TV

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Jul 31, 2009 at 3:44:25 pm

Well, in that case, maybe a reinstall (repair) is in order.

The reason I thought that might not be the case is that I just did a reinstall (actually a complete clean install of my boot drive) to try and deal with a similar problem.

In my case, ImporterProcessServer was crashing when a particular project was opened, even though the project was fine (with all clips already imported) prior to this problem developing. Turns out it was a corrupted clip. How it got corrupted (after it was working fine) is a mystery. After I transcoded the corrupt clip in AE (which opened it without issue), and relinked in Premiere, the project was fine.

So I ended up wasting five hours of my time with an unnecessary reinstall. Oh, well...

Return to posts index

David Guerrero
on Aug 11, 2011 at 11:21:35 pm

This is obviously a little too late to help you, but it might help someone else who comes across this post.

I also have the CS4 Production Premium Suite and recently reinstalled Soundbooth. When I did, for some reason, it overwrote the Premiere "functional content" which is what contains the additions of the XDCAM sequence presets. The XDCAM clips in projects that had already been created became unlinked. When I would try to re-import them, I got the generic error.

There's no way to just install those files, so you have to "repair/reinstall" Premiere with the "Premiere functional content".

Hope that helps somebody.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]