ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

making subclip from sequence

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mole
making subclip from sequence
on Jun 19, 2009 at 2:55:13 am

Is there a way to make a subclip from a sequence? I created a sequence to do multi camera editing but now I'd like to make subclips that would be multicamera editable.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
Re: making subclip from sequence
on Jun 19, 2009 at 2:29:20 pm

Can't you just copy and paste a portion of your sequence into a new sequence?

Return to posts index

Joe Mole
on Jun 19, 2009 at 6:41:33 pm

Yes. Though that is not helpful for my purposes. I want to label and organize clips as I am creating a documentary and the flow of the video is grouped according to ideas not the timeline of video. Labeling and organizing is easier done when I have subclips rather than a million copy and pasted clips in a timeline.

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Jun 20, 2009 at 3:29:07 pm

I do not believe it is possible to make sub-sequences.

Return to posts index

Shane Icenhour
on Jul 17, 2009 at 10:43:41 am

Here a tutorial link if it helps. It seems a little similar to how Avid handles them.

http://www.layersmagazine.com/using-subclips-in-premiere-pro.html

Return to posts index

Paul Moon
on May 22, 2011 at 10:41:06 pm

That actually doesn't help at all. It merely explains the basics of making subclips from clips, not subclips from sequences.

My compromise has been to create nested sequences and rename each individually as if they were subclips.

Return to posts index

Joe Mole
on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:10:49 pm

Ironically I haven't found a solution to this yet. Thanks for the workaround, I'll see how it works out for me.

Return to posts index

Anthony Bernard
on May 21, 2013 at 8:24:01 pm

Im currently in the same boat. I have 10 days worth of interviews for this doc that I need to multi-cam then sub-clip, but apparently there is still no way to do this short of duplicating the multi-cam sequence and trimming them individually into each sub clip? Not even in CS 6?

Return to posts index

Loraine Clarke
on Aug 14, 2013 at 4:24:57 pm

Did either of you find a way to work around this? I have the same problem and would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Return to posts index

H. Paul Moon
on Aug 14, 2013 at 5:01:50 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/893589#911576

Return to posts index

Loraine Clarke
on Aug 14, 2013 at 7:11:59 pm

ah I see. Thanks. Like you said a compromise but better than nothing. Thanks

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Jan 14, 2015 at 8:35:04 pm

I see what you're doing is similar to what I often do. I need sub clips copied to new sequences for separate editing for tube sites like vimeo or youtube.

When I do multi cam, I take every major step as a new edit (IE, the first bit is about cutting in any title scenes or any stills, while making any cuts for multi cam that appear relevant along the way, or multi cam cuts etc). I first do sync and multi cam all, then dupe and start with a fresh sequence (starting point can be reached quickly). Next anything that requires some act or scene change cuts, new dupe sequence, then camera cuts, and even credit reels (I take nothing out, only put in). I then dupe and do my cut\trims to remove excess. At this point, I've finished the main editing portion, and now I need to size for discs and do some sub clips for youtube etc. Each is a new sequence all it's own.

How? Remember that a sequence is an XML representation of the work, not the actual cutting, just the instructions for it. It doesn't fully exist. You can't sub clip it because it isn't a source file. You can sub clip a source file, or make instructions for clipping\trimming the source file. But sub clipping from the instructions list isn't logically sound (from a programming standpoint). You have to nest a source clip into a sequence to instruct how to render it. I've tried duping the sequence, then marking in out in the duplicate, then renesting it. No go with multi cam.
With multi cam sequences, you cannot mark in\out and Renest the sequence the way you did the first time. You can only Copy\paste a new sequence. To do it quickly, you may need to at more cut marks (razor), and select the sections you want across audio and video, then right click the selection and choose nest. It will make a new sequence with your sub clip built for you. This is often better than a standard sub clip. I've found that sub clips don't render out properly, but sequences almost always do. Reasons range from the sub clip not having readable XML audio features to the audio having no clear source. If you don't render the audio into a sequence, the sub clips don't render out in AME. If you open AME and Open the sequences from your project in AME (from ame open premiere dialogue), the sub clip will render just fine.

Return to posts index

H. Paul Moon
on Jan 14, 2015 at 9:06:47 pm

I appreciated this thorough and concise way of describing the issues perfectly. I hope Adobe acts upon it, and let's keep making sure they know by also putting support tickets into their system!

FocusPulling (.com) | http://www.focuspulling.com | facebook.com/focuspulling | twitter.com/focuspulling

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Feb 19, 2015 at 11:09:15 pm

yeah, multicaming nested sequences is a no-go. But that doesn't stop you from making sub clips of the sequence... ...depends on your order of operations really.

If you are like most prosumer types and shoot in MTS or MT2S, you Have 1 large file with all your video, and it mixes several sources together or several "cam" sequences, you will have to sub clip the clip before you can actually do anything with it. You can create sub clips of any clip with the create sub clip command. You do have to specify the start-end. I suggest you nest the clip mark several places where you want to clip. Now open it in the source monitor, and select inout points, use the make sub clip commands. If that won't work, use the source clip in the source monitor, work in that window with inout marks, and make the sub clips (which will show up in project window as new clips but are not rendered files). This will give you separate clips to use. Place in a sequence and sync them how you wish. Nest the sequence in another sequence. CTRL click (left click) the video track to select it, right click, and select multicam>enable. You can now select your video source from any in the original sequence. Do the same for the audio and you'll be able to mulisource your audio much the same way.

If you can ingest your video in a format that allows you to make separate, discreet files, you are much better off than using a single file. You can multi cam a lot easier. When you want to sync multiple cameras, you place them all in the same sequence, on different tracks. Make sure each video lines up with it's audio. Sync with your favorite method.
Nest the sequence in another sequence. CTRL click (left click) the video track to select it, right click, and select multicam>enable. You can now select your video source from any in the original sequence. Do the same for the audio and you'll be able to mulisource your audio much the same way.

I've tried using multiple multi source sequences in a sequence. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend setting them as separate cameras for another run at multi cam. It doesn't work as far as I've seen.

Once you have your video ready, you can cut and clip to your hearts content. Subclip it with the source monitor, edit\cut with the sequence timeline. If you have to render the sub clips to their own files, use edit marks (razor) on the timeline to outline the area in both audio and video, and then use a MARQUEE SELECT (like a box selection in photoshop) and drag over the areas within the marks; right click and select nest. This will actually create the sequences for you, with your sub clips inside, without removing it from your other timeline. You can render each of these how you wish. For cataloguing, some actually go one step further. Take your sub clip timelines and place into a new timeline for your gagreels or your highlights, place markers and such, then render the one sequence out to a file or send to Encore.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Feb 19, 2015 at 11:23:10 pm

Mark the areas in your multi cam sequence timeline that you want to sub clip with edit marks (razor) for both audio and video. Select this with a drag select within those marks (it will select all the clips you touch without needing to select whole clip). Right click and select Nest. It will make a new sequence for you, with your chosen video, and the clips are already multi cam enabled in most cases. If not, you just ctrl select all the video, right click and select multi cam enable. Do the same for the audio and you should be golden. You have to do this one at a time, but it does work. Done it in cs6 myself.

If you want to use each sub clip as a separate "Camera", you may be out of luck. I haven't even thought of trying this, but... ...You might do just like above, then render and bring the new files in as source clips. Another method: Open the multi cam sequence in the source monitor, use in\out marks and the "Make Subclip" command, which will create sub clips of that source with the in\out being start and end marks. Now you should be able to use those like reference clips, and place them the same as a normal sub clip, into a sequence like cameras. If it doesn't work right away, try rendering out the whole of the previews for the original sequence (the multi cam sequence you sub clipped) and try again. Follow the same multi cam enable as I showed above. The downside here is that you will not be able to select from your original cameras, but instead, you'll have to select from your sub clips. In order to have a different view from your actual camera source, you'd have to make the change, render it out, and then go back to your sub clip, find out which virtual camera it fills, and select that for your new multi cam sequence. Again, I don't think it would work, but it's possible.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:31:18 pm

Hey.
I finally got this to work in a marginal capacity. Using the sub clip key press shortcut didn't work. But this did.

1. You edit mark the clip area you want as a sub, and "nest" it or copy\paste it to a new sequence.
2. Dupe the sequence, use in out markers to clip the dupe, nest wherever you want it.

Is it listed as a sub clip? No. But it's the function you need. Just place the dupes in a sub clip bin.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Mar 29, 2015 at 7:15:07 am

Upon further inspection of my last post, perhaps it was unclear.

When you want to organize the ideas and still have them all in a multi cam mode, you'll have to copy paste into new sequences and rename that sequence. In CS6, this is easier to do than you think.

Edit mark around the clip you want to make a sub clip of. Right click and nest. This will create a sequence of this clipping, which you can now set up as multi cam. It works. Now you just do this for each one. If you have a lot of them, this will be slow going, unless you create a key press for it. This should take your "Copy Paste" to a single keystroke\keycombination and cut your work time a little. This is by far not perfect, but it would get the work done a little faster.

On a personal note:
I've had to set subtitles to a musical piece for a choir to use in practice. The video will be played at the performance, and was designed for the piece by the composer (so it is timed to the piece). The choir must practice and get as close as possible in their timing. There were more than 50 title placements. This was a daunting task, as I had to have the titles appear upon the vocal entries. I had to do this one by one, and let them stay on screen for different lengths of time according to their actual vocal length. I understand your plight with hundreds of clips.

Return to posts index

jo gali
on Jan 23, 2019 at 12:02:40 am

Not sure what version you are running but this is how I got to do it on my current version
1. Put Camera#/first camera angle clips on a sequence
2. Right click sequence icon on project window
3. click new sequence from clip
5. Name new sequence Camera #_
4. Do this for all camera angles
5. Make new bin and put all new sequences (named Camera #_) in it
6. Make sure it is in alpha/numerical order
7. Highlight them
8. Clip > Create Multi-camera source sequence

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Apr 29, 2019 at 9:47:58 am

Ok fellas, here's a how to.

1. Dupe your sequence twice. Yes twice. This is important for later. Do it 2 times. Name the first LCN and the second SC. LCN is Linkage Control Nest, but that doesn't matter, LCN will do. I will refer to them as LCN and SC from now on. SC is subclipper.
2. Place the two of them in a bin, and name it for the sequence you're subbing. I'll Call it Sub Bin for now.

3. In the LCN, delete everything. It should be empty. Do the same in the SC sequence.
4. Drag the main sequence you want to subclip into your LCN sequence. Leave it nested there. Anything you do to this sequence should carry right over into this nested sequence. It only controls that consistent linkage. It will grow and shrink with the sequence nested in it.
5. Drag the LCN sequence to the SC sequence. Now you can cut a portion of it using the razor tool, right click the cut section and select NEST. It will open a dialog to allow you to name that sequence and should place it in the same bin, if not you can move it to the bin later. But wait!!! We've put that nest into this sequence! How can we cut more? Simple. Drag the LCN sequence back over the top of itself in the SC sequence. It will replace what's on the timeline. You can now cut it again at similar or at different points, and nest it again, giving it a different name. You should be able to create your own marker type or color, and call it whatever you want, then use the comments in that marker type to feed in all your information. Even a simple comment marker will do.
6. Get the all markers panel for premiere. It will allow you to view all your markers so you can search them easily. You can also just name your new nest sequences with some extra information.

I recommend that when you finish "subclipping" your sequence, you export them all with media encoder right back to your intermediary format. It should be fairly quick. Save your project too. While they are working, you can add more media or whatever to your main sequence, and repeat the action to get more subclips together. If you copy your LCN and SC to another bin, you can continue to use them to cut more.

Downsides:
Your SCN will change with your main sequence. Your subclips may change if their corresponding position in that main sequence is changed (because that will change the SCN at that location and change the nested clippings). This means you can only really add to the end of your main sequence if you want to keep the clips intact. It also means that effects will be more difficult if your subnestclips encompass multiple video file clips or subclips. You may have a more difficult time finding where to place transitions.

Alternatively to this method, if you have many clips to tie together, use prelude to put them into rough cut sequences. This is almost always preferable. If you do this first, you can trim them in prelude down to what you need in each rough cut sequence, then put them in bins and transfer the whole kit and kaboodle to premiere afterward.
SOUNDSYNC:
Okay, I don't know what methods you use or what, so I'll just get right to it. If your in camera\from camera audio is any good at all, start rough cutting. Some use pluraleyes to run sync, which gives you a lot of options. Just go with me on this one, you can link your audio later if your in camera is at least understandable. Rough cut then go to premiere and start sequencing.
You can sync sound by waveform slate or let pluraleyes check for consistentcies. When you're ready, here's a useful convention I roll with. For each location, set up a sequence, sync all footage from that location in that sequence, then unlink and link to the better audio for each clip, and nest this to a subsequence that you then export. When you export these good sound sources, give them a name the same as their corresponding footage name, but put in a subfolder called SoundSync. If you ingest your footage all to the same folder, you are ready for the next step; make that sound sync folder inside the footage outer folder. For those with tens to thousands of clips and dailies, this step is necessary. Save your project, close it. You will put all the original footage in a new folder with the name "Original Footage Old" and then move your sound synced footage to the outer folder to replace it. Open your project, and it should relink just fine as long as the names were all the same. You do this by putting the original file name on the nest sequence you make when you sync the sound for that clip and link the video to the better sound. That's it. Once your footage is relinked, all your roughcuts have the better audio, and you should be able to work with them. Any nesting or subclipping will carry right over and you can focus on your edits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]