ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

AVCHD bug in Premiere Pro CS4 and use of Apple ProRes

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Battaglia
AVCHD bug in Premiere Pro CS4 and use of Apple ProRes
on Feb 13, 2009 at 12:26:11 am

I have Production Suite CS4 for the Mac, which I purchased because Adobe advertised compatibility between the Canon VIVXIA HF 10 and AVCHD. Note that I said for the Mac. Bottom line is that Pr will not function properly with the AVCHD, freezes, crashes, etc. I found a bug and Adobe agrees. Problem one is that it is unknown if or when they will get out a fix. This was reported on 12/8/08.

Now for MY question. I find that I can use FCP to import AVCHD to apple pro res. I am at a loss on which preset to use to get the pro res files into Pr for editing for Blu-ray output. Please don't tell me to edit in FCP then import into Pr. I found bugs in that also. Pr will not recognize keyboard shortcuts any longer and is unable to "see" the beginning or end of clips. Adobe's ability to import FCP XML only partially works.

I'm at a loss and haven't been able to find any answers in the forum.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
Re: AVCHD bug in Premiere Pro CS4 and use of Apple ProRes
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:05:03 pm

I'd use whatever HD project preset your computer/disk system is capable of playing back in real time - from uncompressed HD to DVCPRO HD to XDCAM EX (I-frame MPEG). If your system balks at HD playback, edit in an SD project, then import that project into an HD project and rerender. Actually, Premiere should let you go straight to export without rendering if you don't need to view in real time first.

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on Feb 13, 2009 at 10:09:33 pm

Eric thanks for the post. Your information made the most sense to this Pr newbie. Please read my response to Raj to review my understanding. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Raj Swahali
on Feb 13, 2009 at 7:19:48 pm

Open your avchd files in VoltaicHD and export using ProRes format. It is just a quicktime format and Premiere will have no problem importing these.
Adobe Media Encoder also reads avchd but has trouble outputting it to Prores. There are no presets needed because you are just going to be using standard Quicktime Pro interface except Voltaic reads avchd, QTPro does not.
Or. you could just export to ProRes from the log and transfer panel in FCP.
It just outputs ProRes Qucktime files which Premiere will read.

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on Feb 13, 2009 at 10:06:18 pm

First, I thank you and Eric for responding.

I am able to import AVCHD into FCP as apple prores. Those clips now reside in my Capture Scratch folder as prores clips. Eric suggests then to use Pr preset DVCPRO or HD so I can then import the prores clips into Pr then edit in the sequence. I will try that although I believe I did in the past with problems (maybe.)

The other suggestion was to use just a regular SD DV NTSC preset and then edit. I assume that I could then open a new HD project using a HD preset, then import the DV project, render for 1920 X 1080 and burn to Blu-ray. I hope that is the correct understanding of all of this.

Am I getting the drift here or am I missing a step? As you can tell, I'm really new at Pr.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 3, 2009 at 5:16:51 pm

Hi Robert,

Check out this blog entry which details how to edit Pro-Res natively in Premiere Pro. Also, make sure you update your Premiere Pro to version 4.01. The blog entry below is CS3 but it's completely the same for CS4.

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/2007/06/adobe_production_premium_cs3_a....

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on Mar 3, 2009 at 11:24:01 pm

First, thank you for your response.

I've seen the blog and video before and while it is quite interesting, ProRes will not play smoothly in Pr 4. The playback is extremely poor, so poor, any editing or refinement cannot be done. This problem was verified by Adobe and is listed as a now known bug along with several others that I reported. Basically Pr4 on a Mac for AVCHD and several QT codecs are totally unusable.

I would have to do all the editing in FCP and then import into Encore for burning - which works well. What good is the suite, other than Blu-ray burning, if the main app, Pr, can't be used.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Raj Swahali
on Mar 4, 2009 at 3:21:32 am

Competely agree. AVCHD crashes my MacPro in Premiere and ProRes
stutters and crawls, as it appears, there is no optimization in Premiere for Quicktime intermediate codecs.

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on Mar 4, 2009 at 6:34:51 pm

I "hear" "they" will be coming out with fixes in the near future. Until then, the program is worthless.

Return to posts index

Chris Bauch
Re: converting PC Premiere video for MAC FCP
on Mar 25, 2009 at 12:32:32 am

I edit video on my MAC in FCP. I have a camera man who captured his footage to his PC in Adobe Premiere. He shot in 16:9.
I am editing my footage in 4:3 for television broadcast. What is the best way to convert his 16:9 footage from Premiere into Quicktime files for importing into my MAC and FCP and 4:3 aspect ratio?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Aubert
on May 20, 2009 at 2:12:03 pm

Man I am so in your boat!!!

We captured all our HDV footage, from a Sony FX-1, on a PC using Premiere. Now we decided to edit on a Mac, preferably Final Cut Pro. The files have an extension of .mpeg along with a .xmp file. I can't even open these .mpegs in quicktime let alone FCP or Premiere CS4!!!! I can't access any of it and recapturing would take days, also one of the tapes has broken! How do I read these?

I don't want to lose quality by running it through heaps of conversions. What can I do?

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on May 22, 2009 at 2:13:54 am

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. There are some real experts on this site. You might want to re-post your question as it's own thread.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on May 22, 2009 at 3:09:34 am

Mate, start a new topic. There is a way to workaround your situation. It's important you have your own topic so the solution/s are easier to find for others in the future.
-JB

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index

Jeremy Donaldson
on May 27, 2009 at 12:58:33 am

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same problem.

Return to posts index

Robert Battaglia
on May 27, 2009 at 11:47:57 pm

The only solution was mentioned above. Go to http://www.shedworx.com/voltaichd and download Voltaichd for the Mac. It works well converting AVCHD clips to AIC and possibly ProRes (go into the Prefs and set the advanced options for ProRes.) You get 10 free conversions then have to pay the $34.95. I haven't played with it yet other than converting one AVCHD clip to AIC and that worked well.

Sorry, but that's the best solution that I have come across. (The other option of course is to export your timeline in Premiere to a QT movie - that causes more work.)

Return to posts index

leonardo duarte
Re: AVCHD bug in Premiere Pro CS4 and use of Apple Prores
on Jul 2, 2009 at 12:01:52 am

Hello,

After you update CS4 4.1.0, Left to accept the extension m2ts
This extension is created by the camcorder Sony sr12
How do you accept again??

Grateful
Leronardo

Return to posts index

leonardo duarte