ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Capture on PC/Edit on Mac with Final Cut?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Beth Koplin
Capture on PC/Edit on Mac with Final Cut?
on Dec 28, 2008 at 7:50:46 pm

I travel and want to use my laptop PC to capture Mini DV video, then when I get home use my Powermac G5 to edit those clips in FInal Cut Pro 5.1. I have used Final Cut Pro for some time.

PC Laptop -
Microsoft WIndows XP Professional, Version 2002
Intel Pentium M Processor 1.50 GHz, 496 MB of RAM

Mac OS 10.4.11
Processor - Dual 1.8 GHx PowerPC G5
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

Software:
Final Cut Pro 5.1

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
Re: Capture on PC/Edit on Mac with Final Cut?
on Dec 28, 2008 at 11:11:10 pm

Hi Mary,
1. Capturing DV video onto your laptop (spec's show it's a older laptop with little ram) might work ok, but probably not.
2. If you were to capture with a fast enough PC desktop/laptop the captured files would be Microsoft DV AVI based. FCP can edit AVI files from PCs, but FCP won't see them in real time and will all require rendering, making editing frustrating.
3. You Mac is a G5, which means it's a pre-Intel mac using a PowerPC CPU. This means you can't have PPro on the mac. If you had a newer Intel CPU based Mac you could install PPro on the mac. PPro on mac and PC can use in realtime without rendering both Mac MOV DV files and PC AVI DV files.
4. In conclusion, it's possible to do what you want, but I don't think you'll have a pleasant experience if you did.
- Jon ;)

Jon Barrie
aJBprods
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index

Mary Beth Koplin
on Dec 29, 2008 at 10:43:13 pm

so, lets see if I got this:
1. If my PC was faster I could use PPRO to capture .avi files, but FCP on my current mac G5 would require lots of rendering time for the .avi file.
2. If my mac was intel-based, then I could purchase PPRO for the mac, and edit both .mov and .avi files with that. and it would be RT, no rendering using PPRO? sounds like I still wouldn't be able to use FCP on the mac for editing those files. really, I think I prefer to stay with FCP since I've spent so much time on it.

can you think of any other solution for when I am traveling, maybe I have to save up for a mac laptop!!! if so, what should I get?

Mac OS 10.4.11
Processor - Dual 1.8 GHx PowerPC G5
Memory 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

Software:
Final Cut Pro 5.1

Return to posts index

Peter Berthet
on Dec 29, 2008 at 11:25:45 pm

Yeah like Jon said,

Your PC more than likely can suck in the DV video you want.
But DV AVI files will need rendering to edit

If your looking at getting a Macbook, your more than likely gonna have to go with a MacBook Pro ... cause apple in their wisdom removed firewire from the standard macbooks....*grumble*

~Peter Berthet
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

mariel dominguez
Re: Capture in the PC or editing MAC with Final Cut?
on Apr 4, 2010 at 2:44:42 pm

Question:

I have to edit Final Cut ( MAC ). I know if I can capture files Adobe Premier (pc) and then upload to MAC for editing in the final.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Søren Larsen
on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:40:36 am

there's no firewire access on mac book? ok! How can I capture then? I have PPRO. through USB? when I try -the Audio is not captured. Any solutions?

Søren Larsen
Denmark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]