ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Fixing scratches on a negative...?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karel Bata
Fixing scratches on a negative...?
on Oct 6, 2008 at 8:41:29 pm

I'm trying to piece together something watchable out of telecine fragments remaining from a 16mm film I lit some years back. It shows dark scratches and dust which suggests the negative itself was scratched...

How would I fix this...? I could go through it frame by frame, or is there a clever trick or plug-in? I have Premiere CS3 and AE7 running on Win XP.

Here's an excerpt http://www.vimeo.com/1898168

Seems ironic when a lot of folk are trying to create this look in post!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Fixing scratches on a negative...?
on Oct 7, 2008 at 3:11:06 am

Removing scratches (do you really want to get into this?) will either require a ton of patience or a ton of money. If you ever did rotoscoping and thought it was either tedious or boring, "you ain't seen nothing yet".

There are certainly specialized applications for film restoration, but Premiere isn't one of them. You could use the clone tool in After Effects, that's where I would start. After Effects can also get rid of the jumpiness with tracking.

In the end, is it really that bad, think of all of those who are adding scratches to make their video footage look like film :-)

Vince Becquiot
Director | Editor

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Karel Bata
Re: Fixing scratches on a negative...?
on Oct 7, 2008 at 9:37:02 am

Thanks for replying.

Actually no, it's not that bad, but there are a few places where it's a bit distracting. Filmfix has just been recommended to me, and it has a 14 day trial. http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/categories/enhancement/film-fix/

I think what I'll do is edit what footage I have to look like an old trailer. Should be fun. A B&W film would be good for the DoP showreel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]