ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

field order

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Barrozo
field order
on Jun 2, 2008 at 8:51:05 pm

I have imported a QuickTime footage from an AVID system rendered upper field first.
I then put it in Premiere 2.0 in track one and added a graphic with motion effect in track 2. In the field options of track 1 (the one with my video rendered upper field first) I choose the "Reverse Field Order" option.
Then I exported it to DVD. When I played the DVD I have noticed that it was running with a wrong field order, but the motion effect I have created with a graphic in track 2 was correct.
I then returned to Premiere and disabled the "Reverse Field Order" option in track 1. I exported the sequence again to DVD and it played again with the wrong field order.
What's the workaround here?

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: field order
on Jun 3, 2008 at 2:33:28 pm

Some details will help trace your problem:

What are your project settings? (NTSC, PAL, D1, DV, HD, HDV, etc.)

What is the footage you are importing (pixel dimensions and PAL/NTSC)?

What codec was used to make the QuickTime?

-jeff

Return to posts index

Sergio Barrozo
on Jun 3, 2008 at 3:40:27 pm

Hi Jeff,

What are your project settings? (NTSC, PAL, D1, DV, HD, HDV, etc.)

The project is set to NTSC DV

What is the footage you are importing (pixel dimensions and PAL/NTSC)?

The footage is QuickTime 720 x 486 rendered in After Effects - upper field

What codec was used to make the QuickTime?

Avid ABVB codec

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Colin Browell
on Jun 3, 2008 at 11:02:08 pm

I think that reverse field order is an instruction as to how that clip should be re-rendered IF it is necessary for it to be re-rendered (due to an effect or transition).

If there's no need to re-render it, then the clip will just be copied as-is to output, so the field order will not actually change.

DV is lower field-first, so if you are able to recreate the upper field clip as lower-field first this is probably the best solution. Otherwise you can take the upper-field-first clip and shift all the lines vertically by a single scan line - that will change it to lower-field first but lose the top (or bottom) scan line.

Return to posts index

Sergio Barrozo
on Jun 3, 2008 at 11:44:19 pm

Thank you for your help.
I remember that sometime ago I heard about this procedure.
I'll try it.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Jun 4, 2008 at 3:15:39 pm

Shifting up (or down) one pixel is probably the best solution to try. The problem arises from putting 486-high footage into a DV project, which is 480 high. If the image is centered, you get a 3-line shift, which reverses fields. Also contributing to problems is that in some AVID software, the upper/lower field choice is backwards from everyone else; i.e., they use upper = odd field first, whereas the rest of the world has standardized on upper = even field first, so I'm never sure what to trust with AVID... That could just be my problem.

-jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]