ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Same person more than once in video clip

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Clutson
Same person more than once in video clip
on Apr 2, 2008 at 1:04:42 pm

Hi, I'm very new at using Premiere Pro to edit short simple videos for my Fine Art degree. I want to make a short piece using the same person as two people sitting opposite each other, the camera is in a fixed position. How can I get the people to look real, all I have managed so far is to get two ghostly figures. I am using Premiere Pro CS3 V3 on a Mac Pro. I have looked through previous postings but cannot find anything, getting to grips with the language is a whole new world for me. Any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks, Amanda

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: Same person more than once in video clip
on Apr 2, 2008 at 2:45:03 pm

The easiest way:
Make sure your camera is _SECURELY_ mounted, and won't move. Not even when you press start/record/stop. Also, your lighting and exposure cannot change. At all.
Shoot the person on the right side of the screen. Then, shoot the person on the left. Use a mask to eliminate 1/2 of one shot. Lay this shot over the other. Putting a slight soft border on it typically helps. Done.

-jeff

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Apr 2, 2008 at 8:28:54 pm

Another effect to use is the crop effect.
Keeping the camera locked with a tripod and don't switch it on and off between shots that might shift the camera just a little, ruining the perfectness of the match. Or get someone to do it for you touching only just hard enough to activate the camera.
Using crop you can then cut off the left, right side whichever you want with this cropped layer above the other.
The masking which is actually called a matte in PPro will work fine too. Any ability to soften the edges will also help blend the two shots as one.
- Jon

How many editors does it take to change a light bulb?
http://www.jonbarrie.net

Return to posts index

bart straman
on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:04:33 pm

hi there,

just makes sure that the inviroment around your person stays stable, i mean, you don't have to mask exactly half of the shot, you can also make a narrow mask arround the person so that it looks more convincing with less anomalies.

I never done this in PP2, in Adobe After effects it is a piece of cake :). (grab your shot, take the pen tool and draw a mask around the person/space you wanna have, than put your second shot and put it under that layer, done, there are more strategies, even better one)

having your camera steady is very important indeed, all the time. Two persons is easy, making a shot where 10 persons walking around each other is something different, but the results are quite cool!!

good luck!

Bart

Return to posts index

Amanda Clutson
on Apr 4, 2008 at 5:41:03 pm

Hello Guys

thanks very much for your replies, not having used masking or cropping (in Premeir Pro) I have started to experiment today. I also discovered today that we do have After Effects on the computer at Uni so would it be easier to use this instead bearing in mind I have never used it before? My plan is to have more people moving around, but I'm starting out with a simple project first.
Regards
Amanda Clutson

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Apr 4, 2008 at 6:25:17 pm

For where you are heading, (more people), I would suggest AfterEffects. As you seem new to both programs, the learning would be about equivalent at this point. But be forewarned, it will take time. For AE, you will need to develop a new way of thinking about visual elements, unless you have some experience with Photoshop, silkscreen printing, or a similar multilayered graphic arts process. But it's fun ;>) If you do know Photoshop fairly well, then AE is akin to Photoshop for moving images.

After you succeed with your 2 person shot, here are 2 terms to look up:
Greenscreen
Rotoscoping.

You will probably want some combination of both when you want a dozen of the same person moving around.

-Jeff

Jeff Brown
Fire Mist Media
http://www.firemist.com

Return to posts index

Eva Garriga
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:53:31 pm

Hello, I'm new here and I was just looking for a post like this. But I have a question: Is it posible to do this when the same person, well, "both" cross roads in a moment so they appear in the same space? I mean, imagine one is going left to right, and another right to left. In the middle of the screen there'll be a point where they will be in the same place. It's posible to do that or it won't look well?

Thank you and I hope I explained well!

Return to posts index

Bart Straman
on Apr 26, 2014 at 11:47:47 am

Hi Eva. This post sure is from a long time ago :)
About your question, you have several options:
1: rotoscoping. Basically you create a mask arround the contour of the actor and update it as he or she moves. Then you can mask parts out when a body part is going behind another actor and so on. This technique can also be used for other cool effects. I think on videocopilot.net you find a tutorial of it for time freezing :)

2: greenscreen. Pop out a portable greenscreen on set (on location is much better in this case for having the same lighting conditions) and key the actor(s) out. Then you can place him in front of the other actor for example.

The most tricky though, is that both actors react naturally to eachother (especially the eyes).

Hope this helps,

Bart
Creative stills and motion capture
Bartmediadesigns.com
Facebook.com/bartmediadesigns

bartMedia Designs

Return to posts index

Kirsty Barnes
on Sep 9, 2019 at 4:03:57 am

how do you mask something

Return to posts index