ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere and Canon HDV

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bell
Premiere and Canon HDV
on Dec 13, 2007 at 11:51:17 pm

Hello,

I have a client who wishes to capture native HDV from a Canon HD camera via firewire into Premiere. The footage is all green screen and he wishes to key in Premiere. Is this possible and how good are the results? We are looking at other 10 bit capture card options, but the budget may dictate firewire only.

Advice welcome. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
Re: Premiere and Canon HDV
on Dec 14, 2007 at 12:46:47 am

Green Screen in Premiere Pro is okay if you know advanced techniques like track matting etc. Best results use Keylight in After Effects.
Capturing direct to Premiere Pro should be fine if you have a hardware and codec combination that will record the 4:2:2 colour space. AspectHD by Cineform will record in that colour space from firewire, but I think the Canon only outputs the 4:2:2 from the component outputs, firewire might only have the 4:2:0 like it would record to tape. Depends on the complexity of the green screen action (hair moving, fast action, etc) 4:2:0 could still key something decent, but you need to know about advanced techniques in Keying, can take time to get a perfect key.
1. Premiere Pro, not made for powerful keying (matorx axio in PPro has great keying plugins).
2. AE for Keying
3. Make sure the colour space coming out of FW is 4:2:2 other wise you might aswell be coming from tape.
4. There are converter boxes that take the HD-SDI component cable run out to firewire - check the net for more.
- Jon :)

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Dec 14, 2007 at 3:05:33 am

Thanks for your insight. To clarify, these are interviews and people speaking directly into camera while sitting. Very little movement beyond head nods and smiles.

Is is possible to achieve a decent key without additional hardware and using the 4:2:0 HDV color from the Canon camera in Premiere? We are attempting to create a simple solution without the need for third party software or hardware.

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Dec 14, 2007 at 3:51:31 am

You'll have to light it right. With some back lighting and keep the subject as far from the screen as possible to avoid any spill (reflected light from GScreen). Light the GS evenly, using diffusers (scrim) and please record a test shot and try the chroma key effect - you'll see where you might need to adjust the lighting. Are you going Green or Blue? (I'm guessing Green).
4:2:0 with Green Screen will give you some Green edges because of G being the brightness channel. I'm working on a Premiere Pro only Keying Tutorial - Stay tuned.

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Dec 14, 2007 at 4:49:27 pm

Jon,

Thanks again for your insight. My primary role in this installation is the lighting of the green screen (I am a DP). I have a great deal of green screen experience, so it will be properly lit, and the subject will be well separated. Assuming the subject and the green screen are well lit, can a good key be pulled in Premiere from the work flow described above?

Chris

Return to posts index

Jon Barrie
on Dec 14, 2007 at 11:36:55 pm

Yes. Using the Chroma Key Filter you should get a usable key.
If you want a great key you'll have to make a matte version of it a track that. Render time will increase, but you'll get an awesome result.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]