ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Stuttering playback in timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rajarshi
Stuttering playback in timeline
on May 6, 2007 at 6:48:24 pm

Hi,

Im facing this problem of stuttering playback on my timeline with dv footage. I was editing this documentary... then i opened the project after a month . and now the playback on the timeline is halted and stuttering.

Im using a 320gb SATA...of which about 290Gb is occupied with the rushes...is it because of hard disk capacity ??... my config is Athlon64 3000, 2Gb RAm...nvido 6200 Agp... my OS is loaded on a separate 120 GB SATA...

please help...

Return to posts index

Harm Millaard
Re: Stuttering playback in timeline
on May 6, 2007 at 7:15:48 pm

[Rajarshi] "Im using a 320gb SATA...of which about 290Gb is occupied with the rushes...is it because of hard disk capacity ??..."

Yes.

Return to posts index

Rajarshi
on May 7, 2007 at 1:31:29 am

ok...if iits about the hard disk space, then why wasnt stuttering happening about a month back. when I was still editing ??

why is it happening now?? and how much free hard disk space should i keep for a smooth plyaback,, if thats the problem ??

this things dont happen in avid..only in premiere ...

Return to posts index

Harm Millaard
on May 7, 2007 at 9:35:00 am

PATA and SATA disk have a significant performance loss when they get filled up more than 60%. Your best bet is to add a 3rd disk to your system.

Return to posts index

Rajarshi
on May 7, 2007 at 3:09:38 pm

harm,

I was wondering if there is anyway to work efficiently without losing any of my current data ?

Also, its possible to combine 2 SATA hard disks to make RAID 0...for faster data transfer ?

Return to posts index

Harm Millaard
on May 7, 2007 at 3:59:02 pm

It is quite possible to combine 2 identical disks into a raid0, but that means that all data will be lost when you format the drive(s). That does not make sense at this moment with all your rushes on the current disk.

What looks feasible is to add a 3rd disk and move all your project files, render and PEK files and media cache and scratch files to your third disk, clearing up room on the current disk and then defrag the disk.

One other thing to look at is your video card, the 6200 is rather old. Maybe upgrading will help to improve your performance as well.

Return to posts index

Rajarshi
on May 8, 2007 at 3:19:42 am

harm,

Im buying a new system, Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2 GbRam, which video card would you suggest, under $200 ?

thanks
Raj

Return to posts index

Harm Millaard
on May 8, 2007 at 9:53:38 am

nVidia GeForce 8600 would fit the bill nicely.

Return to posts index

zenbeer
on May 18, 2007 at 4:56:40 pm

From Adobe:

Adobe Premiere Troubleshoot playback issues

1. Make certain that all video placed on the timeline has been rendered.

Video files that have not been rendered may not play smoothly from the timeline. Premiere Pro 2.0 real time playback is dependent upon several things including the system CPU, complexity of the project, video file format, video compression, and available system resources.

2. Select an appropriate playback quality setting.

Playback in the Premiere Pro Monitor window can be displayed at either Highest Quality, Draft Quality, or Automatic Quality. By default the Monitor window is set to the Automatic Quality setting. To choose the Monitor window playback quality, open the Monitor window menu and select an appropriate playback quality setting:

-- Automatic: When selected, Premiere Pro will dynamically adjust image resolution between Highest Quality and Draft Quality to best address the available system resources.

-- Highest Quality: Displays all the pixels of each frame of video. When Premiere Pro is forced to play back unrendered video at the Highest Quality setting, the video may stutter or jerk.

-- Draft Quality: Always displays video at one-half resolution in the Monitor Window. When Draft Quality is selected, playback will be smooth but the image quality will be affected.

3. Switch the Desktop Display Mode.

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is designed to take advantage of display cards with accelerated GPUs. If you are having playback issues, then make sure you use the correct Desktop Display Mode that corresponds with your display card:

-- Compatible: This setting offers the lowest performance but is appropriate for display cards that do not fully support Direct 3D.

-- Standard: This is the default setting and is appropriate for video cards that support Direct 3D version 9.

-- Accelerated GPU Effects: The availability of this setting requires that the display card support Pixel Shader 2.0, Vertex Shader 1.1, Direct 3D version 9, and have 64 MB of onboard VRAM. This setting is used to provide accelerated performance on specific Premiere Pro 2.0 effects including Motion, Opacity, Fast color correction, Cross dissolve, and Proc amp. It also provides improved support for color space conversion and playback in the Multi-camera monitor.

-zen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]