ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Deleting effects in multiple clips

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JustAnotherGuy
Deleting effects in multiple clips
on Oct 3, 2006 at 3:16:12 pm

Is there a way to delete effects in multiple clips, as opposed to selecting each clip individually and manually deleting the effect that is no longer to your liking?

ie. if you make a series of clips black and white, then change your mind. can you simply delete the effect of the whole series of clips with a one button click?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

TClark
Re: Deleting effects in multiple clips
on Oct 3, 2006 at 3:20:17 pm

If that is the only effect on the clips you can delete one and copy and paste attributes to all the rest.

Return to posts index

FischTale
on Oct 3, 2006 at 11:10:33 pm

[TClark] "If that is the only effect on the clips you can delete one and copy and paste attributes to all the rest."

"Paste Attributes" can only add things. I can't take effects away. If you copy a clip with no effects and paste attributes to one with effects, nothing will happen.

To the best of my knowledge the only way to remove effects from several clips in one step is to go back in your undo history. Of course, that would only work if you still have the project open from when you applied the effect AND you would have to be willing to lose all other work you've done since then. That's not a very good option.

The quickest way I can think of is to highlight the clip and click the arrow in the top right corner of the effects pallete and choose, "delete all effects from clip." That is faster than highlighting each effect and hitting delete or backspace. That option only works if you want to delete all effects. If you have other effects applied that you want to keep then you'll have to select the individual effect and delete it.

Unfortunately, it looks like no matter what you do it's going to have to happen one clip at a time. Maybe someone else knows a trick that could help you out...?

Return to posts index

Derrick van Niekerk
on Oct 4, 2006 at 6:01:58 pm

Hi there,

What you can do next time when you want to add an effect to all the clips in the sequence.

Rather create Nested Sequences, that way you only apply the eg. B & W effect to the sequence once. Bringing about alot of advantages and time saving!

You only have to delete the effect once, only adjust it once to apply any changes to it, etc...

- Derrick

Return to posts index

Abdul Majid
on Jan 11, 2013 at 12:19:49 am

Select all clips in timeline via CTRL-A and then right click anywhere on timeline and select "REMOVE ALL EFFECTS"

Return to posts index

Aza Allen
on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:27:22 am

It sucks that it's all or nothing when removing FX using Premiere's Remove Effects menu...

I am in the same spot, I am using Looks on every clip, and on some clips I have an animation preset that animates attributes of the Levels effect, but I wanna keep that there and just remove Looks so I can send this project to a different Color Grader...

...maybe someone could make a little plugin... wink wink...

Thanks all!

My portfolio can be seen at http://www.ruesterprod.com
My personal website is http://www.azaallen.com

Return to posts index

Kagure Kabue
on May 28, 2013 at 5:40:39 pm

I had the same problem and this works perfectly (a combination of the above solutions). After removing all attributes I was then able to copy and paste atributes from another clip to the rest.

Thanks (everyone above) :)

Here's what I did to;

1) Remove effects

x Select all the clips I needed to change using the forward select tool (A)
x Right click and select 'Remove effects...' from the menu
x Select 'Video Effects' from the Remove Effects pop up window, hit OK

2) Copy effects over from another clip

x Select the clip with the attribute(s) you want (in my case RGB color correction)
x Select the effect(s) in the Effect Controls window, copy it (CTRL+C/Cmmd+C)
x Select the clips that you want to change
x Paste the effect (CTRL+V/Cmmd+V)
or
x Select the clip with the attribute(s) you want (in my case RGB color correction)
x Copy it (CTRL+C/Cmmd+C)
x Select the clips that you want to change
x Right click the selected clips and select 'Paste Attributes'

The second works best for multiple effects.
Hope this helps someone...

Return to posts index

Jonas Bendsen
on Mar 30, 2014 at 9:05:50 pm
Last Edited By Jonas Bendsen on Mar 30, 2014 at 9:10:56 pm

It seems pretty absurd that there is no option for this. You put an effect on 100+ clips, and then change your mind about a look, but the only way to update the effect is to remove it and start over. And the only way to remove a single effect from multiple clips at once is to remove ALL effects from all the clips? Obviously that is a really bad option.

It would be great if the "remove effects" option had a drop down of the effects applied to you could single out the particular "offender."

Another great option would be if you apply an effect via Presets, changing the preset would update project-wide. In other words, if you apply an effect saved to your presets bin called "skin correct," but then want to tweak "skin correct" a bit, it updates all the places you have applied that effect.

[EDIT] For what it's worth, this idea actually *is* implemented, though in a very limited way. When you click "remove effects" for multiple clips, you are presented with a dialogue box that lists check boxes for motion, opacity, and then simply "video effects" and "audio effects." Obviously they are able to single things out (they are doing it), so the fact that they don't present the option for individual effects is even more frustrating.

:::::::::::::::::::::
This is my life, I edit and edit and edit and edit...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 31, 2014 at 1:17:51 am

Make you sure you are entering Feature Requests for what you're asking for. Adobe has been listening to the myriad of requests as is evidenced by the CC release last year and the updates since then. I know I've heard others asking for the same features.

just keep submitting the requests and if they hear it enough, and it's technically possible, we'll see it in due time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jonas Bendsen
on Mar 31, 2014 at 2:09:39 am

I do (though I hadn't submitted this one with the specifics I mention here, yet). Thanks for taking the time to remind.

Return to posts index

Aga Dipa
on May 12, 2014 at 9:10:11 pm

1. SELECT ANY CLIPS YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE EFFECTS.
2. CLICK "CLIP" ON TOP MENU
3. THEN CLICK "REMOVE EFFECTS..."
4. AND THEY ARE GONE... NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THEY ARE NOW...
5. :D

Return to posts index

Jonas Bendsen
on May 14, 2014 at 12:53:13 am

Right. All of the effects are gone, even if you only want to remove one effect from hundreds of clips with multiple effects... so now you have to go back to each clip (hundreds) and reapply the effects you didn't want to delete. Not really a feasible solution.

http://TeahmBeahm.com
http://Digabyte.com

Return to posts index

Filip Goc
on Jun 13, 2018 at 3:29:24 am

This is a very old thread, but it still comes up in google... so here comes.

In Premiere Pro CC 2018 (not sure when this was introduced), you can select any clips you want, then right click and "Remove attributes..."

Then a dialog lets' you select any number of attributes to remove! All, some, whatever.

Tadaaa.

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jun 13, 2018 at 9:58:32 am

The problem is that it for some reason does not work in CC2018. When i use it to remove Effect filters nothing happens...

Can you add let´s say Lumetri Color to a clip and then go to Edit > Remove Attributes and remove it from the clip by un-checking Lumetri Color and click OK? :)

Return to posts index

Filip Goc
on Jun 13, 2018 at 6:02:10 pm

It works for me.

So far I used this successfully with:
- audio effects in audio clips
- lumetri and crop effects in regular clips (even if the effects are mixed or different and with different settings)

all in all it just seems to work.

My system as of testing this: Mac Sierra, Premiere Pro CC build 224

Return to posts index

Filip Goc
on Jun 13, 2018 at 6:04:19 pm

Roger, I have an idea:

It seems that you are unchecking what you want to remove - as in the Lumetri effect.

But in the Remove Attributes dialog, you need to _check_ what you want _removed_.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Roger Averdahl
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:26:41 pm

Filip, i totally missed that and yes it works. I have used that feature before but it seems that i had a coma-moment and fogot how to use it...

Thanks for the follow up! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]